-
AuthorContent
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 10, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9301341

This one I bought last year that looked like she was egging at the time. Someday mine will spawn I'm sure.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9304650

Bonnie - they will at some point in time and then when they start spawning, they will spawn most every year for you and you won't know what to do with all the koi fry. Sometimes I do miss seeing little fry in the pond and waiting to see how they will be marked, but I just don't miss trying to get them out every fall.

Love the orangey red and black color combos.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9305264

Would like to see it happen at least once.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

October 15, 2012
1:33 AM

Post #9305537

I think you will at some point.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9326556

Son was in large pond today and said he saw 2 black babies and asked me when they were born.
Hanged if I know. They were hiding in a plant pot. They sure are smart.
Haven't covered ponds yet as leaves aren't falling too bad yet. Been moving plants around again as that seems to be my passion. If they look and grow better in another place I move them.
Bought me a new elec. pressure washer today and that should help clean filtration material faster. I am also going to build some sort of wash stand and potting table combo to help save my back while rinsing filters. Preferably on large wheels. I'm just in the thinking stage but it will materialize.
Hope everybodys fish are doing well and no sickies for a while.
It's still warm enough to feed here and I'm thinking I'll get some wheat germ for them this year. It's also time to add salt and Proform C for the winter. Only do it twice a year when seasons change.
Happy ponding to all.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2012
1:32 AM

Post #9326679

Bonnie

did your son say how big these babies were? You should be able to tell about how old they are by their size.

We are winding down as well. Most of the leaves have fallen and because of the plantings it is difficult to net the pond, so when the leaves are falling we are emptying the skimmer basket a couple of times a day. Soon I will have to get into the bogs and cut back the plants. We cut back the waterlilies and vacuumed the pond several weeks ago. Glad we did that at that time - it was an unexpected gorgeous day when we did that.

It saddens me when we have to shut everything down for the winter. This year with all of DH's health problems, I feel like we didn't spend very much time out by the pond.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9344057

Hi Carolyn,
Jeff said babies were about 3". I still haven't seen them but if they are black and my pond bottom is black so guess I'll see them one day.
Right now all fish are doing well. I check water temp. every day and today was around 80 so I fed them. They sure were happy to eat.
Bonnie
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 27, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9344073

Bonnie

I checked my water temps yesterday when we shut down - my water temps were at 36 degrees. It has been awhile since my fish were interested in eating ^_^
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 27, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9344215

Bonnie...I've still been feeding mine too, although a bit less than normal. Last week I thought we were moving into chillier temps, but this week is nice and warm. I'm so sorry I haven't had time to separate fish and bring you some...but I promise I'll get to it one of these days... I have about 2 weeks of solid work left, then a lighter load until Christmas. I've been adding salt, so they have a nice slime coat.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9344425

Bonnie and Mary -

I am curious - what is winter like for your ponds? Typical water temps? I am sure you don't use deicers like I have to, but it does sound like you get to a point where the fish either don't eat at all or eat very little.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 28, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9344520

This morning at 9:00am the temps ranged between 62 and 68 (depending on the pond size) However, due to the weather in Florida, we are still in the time of year where the daytime temps are still fairly high (just below 80) So the water still warms up again, until the sun goes down. I do change to a lower protien food this time of year, and also feed far less. If I see the fish slowly swimming at the bottom, I hold off on feeding them. If they are high energy and at the surface, I will still feed them a little, if I know the daytime temps will still rise.
I also add more salt at this point...just to give the fish a good slime coat.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 28, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9344860

We did not feed every day this year - almost every day. I typically go with a lower protein food when the water temps get into the lower 60's as well. I have also found the fish like an occasional cheerio too!

There was a light layer of ice on the top of the pond this morning when I left for work. Good thing we got our deicers in this past weekend.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 29, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9345454

Yes, yes! The occassional Cheerios! I also use frozen peas from time to time, to give them fresh greens and vitamin c. Today is very warm, so everyone is swimming around like crazy. I fed them lightly and added a bit more salt. I like to add it gradually over a week instead of all at once. I don't own a deicer, although I've thought about getting one just incase we get a weird freeze like we've had in the recent past. I worry more about their stress levels, going from semi-warm water...to a frost...back to semi-warm water all in a matter of a few days. My backward thinking is that maybe a deicer could stabalize the water temps a bit?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 29, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9345630

Mary

Makes sense to me that the deicer would stabilize the water temps. Especially if you get abnormally cold weather, which any more, weather is never 'normal' anymore.

My fish love to pull and eat the water celery that cascades into the pond. It is fun to watch them pull at the water celery - they almost act like their tails are 2 feet and they have them planted on a floor and are pulling backwards with all of their might.

MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 30, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #9346330

That's funny ...I was thinking about putting the variegated water celery on one corner of my pond. Now I know the fish will love it and it won't effect them if they eat it! Thanks!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 30, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9346373

Mary

They love it, but I will tell you that the water celery is so invasive. It has jumped to all but one of my bogs and I suspect it will only be a matter of time before the water celery takes over that one as well. On the positive side, the water celery has a fibrous root, so it does the filtration part of the job very well.

This message was edited Nov 30, 2012 5:40 PM
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

November 30, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #9346596

Actually, that's where I was going to put it! On the side of my big pond, in a smaller pond (12x9?ish) that would feed into the large pond, but be a bio-plant filter pond. It will have my smaller guppies and mollies, but I was worried about plants that would be consumed by fish. Now I won't have to worry! :)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9346708

Mary

It would be perfect for that. I have heard of people eating water celery, but I am not brave enough to give it a try. ^_^

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 1, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9347263

Hi All,
I am doing about the same thing as M. Mary with the fish. Glad she reminded me to start adding the salt. Cleaned all filters yesterday. I'm heavily hinting for a pond vacuum but kids come first with me.
Someone gave me a piece of water celery so put it in old pond. It's potted but seems to be growing slowly. When it gets bigger I'll add it to larger pond for larger fish.
M. Mary if you are running like I am no wonder we haven't heard from you for a while. I am trying to figure how to make the holidays less hectic as it takes a lot of the joy out of it. Too commerialized. Come over when you can but don't add more than you can handle. I figured you were working.
Today is was 80 and I was at Clermonts Christmas parade. Next Sat. is next towns over which I also usually attend with my grandsons. Alias pool diging crew.
Take care all.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 2, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9347682

Bonnie...I've been insanely busy! Go figure, eh? I'm actually craving a day to buzz over to see you and just relax for an hour yakking and talking about plants, fish, kids, tangerines, cows, you name it...I'm ready! :)
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 2, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9348002

M. Mary,
My citrus farming friend said tangerines normally would be at their peak of flavor in Jan. but due to loony weather may change. I will taste one for you and check it out. Same friend came over with huge nursery pot filled with several kinds of oranges and they are just delicious. My favorite is navals. Our tree died of them so I appreciated him bringing them by.

Mary where do you buy wheatgerm fish food around here? Today they were eating like pigs due to the warm water. Right up at the top waiting but I check water temp first.
Charlies little kittys are doing good. I am at war with rats and mice in outbuildings. Set 8 small taps and 2 big ones and got 4 so far. Can't stand them.
Haven't seen a CTF since I saw that snake out front in garden. Hope they are gone for a while at least.
Looking forward to seeing you again any time. Sat by the ponds after church today and they just put on a show for me.
Bonnie
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 3, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9348677

Bonnie, I think the CTFs are semi dormant for the winter. I haven't seen any around either, and the few remaining tadpoles barely move in the cooler water.
I order my food off ebay, I get 50lbs for somewhere around $60. I try to keep the protien below 34%, usually I can find 32%. If the water gets colder, I'll use cheerios and food...with once a week frozen green peas. Even colder, and I stop feeding all together. They look like they're starving no matter what I feed them and no matter how much...so it took a while for me to stop being emotional about it and get to the point that it will harm them if I feed them once the water gets cold. They are trained like Pavlov's dog to charge the side of the pond, when they feel the vibration of the sliding glass door on the deck. They're not even hungry and do it anyway. Then they all look at each other like "wait, why did we just do this??" and then swim away. Goobers...
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 4, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9349995

Another ponding friend skins the peas for easier digestion. Will do that also. I know what you mean about teaching oneself when we should stop feeding. Will check for wheatgerm. Must be good for them because I used to take it all the time too and it was good for me.

Got to tell you about 23 little feeder fish Jeff found at Pet Supkt. He is on cloud 9. He set up another acquarium for them. Goldfish with the most unusual markings. Some striped, some gold with black line down center and nose etc. He says he is raising them for his and my pond. So much color is was amazing. He called me to come to his house this morning to see them. BTW this ponding friend asked me I was sure they were pond goldfish. What other kind is there? They will be a pond when I get them thats for sure.
Yesterday Audrey called as she needed a driver to Sea World. Free tickets in for both os us so I went. I was amazed at Shamu show. Trainers had no inter-action with whales like the old days. Personally I don't really like to see them in those tanks. They would be much happier out in the ocean. Just my humble opinion. Man is always trying to alter nature. Oh well only had 2 hrs. there and thats what I wanted to see so she oblidged. They closed at 6PM. Longer hrs on weekends I think. Christmas lights were beautiful.

Hope all in Fl. are enjoying this beautiful weather we are having. I really appreciate it.
MerryMary
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL
(Zone 9b)

December 4, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9350028

Bonnie...I'm glad you enjoyed the day at SeaWorld. Coming from a long line of zoological and marine mammal involved family members, I understand the importance of both side of the coin (animals in captivity/animals not in captivity) I'm hoping you had a positive day in the beautiful weather! Tomorrow ...and then Saturday...are my last non-stop days of work, until after Christmas! Yay!
I hope to buzz by your place and get some happy Bonnie Holiday cheer! :)
Carolyn...Once you get snow, I'm bringing Bonnie up to slide on your pond ice! :D
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
1:37 AM

Post #9350188

Mary -

You and Bonnie can come slide on my ice or go swimming in any time!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9350335

Not me I'm highly allergic to snow and ice. Pretty from a distance. I'll watch it on TV thats the closest I'm getting.
As a kid I loved it. Doesn't seem so much like Christmas without it but I'll tough it out and enjoy holidays anyway.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9350692

I never liked the snow as a kid and I still don't like it. When I retire, we are going south. Then you will all have to help me with a pond in the south!
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9350783

Will gladly help you if I'm not too old and decrepid by then. Just come far enough south so you don't have to worry about a pond freezing over.
When I lived in Eliz. City N.C. it got pretty cold there at times and blazing hot during the summer.
Worse than Fl. it seemed to me. I was there for 18 mos. while Charlie finished his Navy time.
How many more years before retirement? I know your counting the years I'm sure.
I keep so busy don't know how I ever had time to work but it's doing what I want to do and enjoy more.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9350806

Bonnie

I am hoping I can retire in about 5 years. Dave and I are hoping to move to SC. Dave has family down there.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

December 6, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9351767

Five years will fly by. Think positive. SC is warmer than where you are so thats good. Anyplace is a good place to have koi. LOL
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 6, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #9351769

I do agree Bonnie. Anyplace is a good place to have koi.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America