Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins: CLOSED: Thanksgiving & Christmas Holiday Swap 2012

Communities > Forums > Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins
bookmark
Forum: Group Trades, Swaps and Round RobinsReplies: 68, Views: 547
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2012
6:33 AM

Post #9301370

***THIS SWAP IS NOW CLOSED TO NEW PARTICIPANTS***

This is an interest thread... I’m hoping many will sign up…Gardener’s Love Surprises! If enough of us are interested it will then become the Sign up thread too. And I will just keep it open :-)

Thanksgiving & Christmas are my favorite Holidays of the Year and so close together. Thanksgiving dinner is the time to pull out your recipes that you only make once a year! Ha ha. Shortly after that we're pulling putting up the Christmas Tree. Collecting Christmas ornaments has been a love of mine for a long time. Every year when we decorate the tree… I remember all the people who gifted me with unique ornaments.

Fall & Winter will come and many of our gardens will be covered in Snow by December 25th. Let's spread the Love of Thanksgiving & Christmas Joy, and Spring Flowers to come.

** Each person will send to their swap buddy 3 Items (gifts):

1. A Pot Holder or Oven Mitten (new) and Something Edible. It can be anything you would like to send that’s not easily perishable (chocolate, cheese, fudge…etc).

2. A Christmas Ornament -- It cannot be valued for more than $20.00. Please do not send a dollar store ornament. It can be handmade if you're creative in this area.

3. Five (5) packs of seeds -- Which you have personally harvested from your own garden 2012 (or can be purchased 2012 if you haven’t harvest any seeds). You can put them in a tiny box with a ribbon, dress them up fancy, or whatever you like to do. But the seeds should be labeled with the botanical name.

Since Christmas & Thanksgiving is a very busy time of the year for most...shopping, cooking, family, friends, and such. Not to mention the mail is Slow in December and 2 weeks before Christmas. You will mail your package no later than November 17th.

I will close this thread to New participants on November 7th. You will receive your buddy on November 8th.

Feel free to post if you like Angels, Sleds, Snowflakes, Glass ornaments, or what type of seeds you like. I Love Angels, Frosty the Snowman & Showy annuals :-)

This message was edited Nov 8, 2012 4:00 PM

Thumbnail by Kim_M
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9301373

RESERVED FOR SIGN-UPS

1. Kim_M
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9318129

2. ahoogstra
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9322549

3. sbish5
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9320887

4. lanakila
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9318869

5. happgarden
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9304743

6. CheerMom
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9310012

7. FruitOfTheVine
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9316208

8. evr13
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9321375

This message was edited Nov 8, 2012 3:58 PM

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

October 10, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9301508

I am definately in! Thanksgiving and Christmas are my favorite too! I love doing all sorts of crafts and cooking, and obviously gardening of all kinds. So this ounds awesome!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 10, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9301532

Great! I'll put you as first interested...signed up.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 11, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9302655

Think this would be a great idea & would like to be in if it goes! THANKS
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 11, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9302701

Okkk great! I'll start putting names up and if we get at least 7 swap buddies it's a go :-)

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9303355

I'm #4
My family no longer gifts, so this swap will provide me an outlet for my gift-choosing holiday spirit! I prefer non-Christian themes please.

This message was edited Oct 13, 2012 10:54 PM
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9304743

I would like to join I decorate in old fashioned bright red and green with sanrtas and snowmen. Love hand made things, love candy cookies, just about anything that goes red and green. I decorate the entire house, every room and when I get my spare room done in antiques it will stay decorated for Christmas year round...

This message was edited Oct 30, 2012 9:36 AM
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2012
11:25 AM

Post #9304809

I love that kind of stuff! Last year someone here painted me some handmade ornaments. They are so cute!

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9310012

I'm in and I love angels, and crosses and anything musical.

Sue G
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 19, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9310089

Great! Gotcha...I will be requesting info soon if more people sign up:-) Like address etc..
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 26, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9316208

Kim, sign me up! I'll D-mail my info to you.

I collect a lot of stuff including Coca-Cola, Primitives, Candles, Snowmen, Santas, Snowflakes, Christmas Ornaments, and all sorts of glass. My fav colors are Green, Burgundy and Gold. Also really dig Paisleys. Don't do Angels and cannot eat Fruitcake or Chocolate Covered Cherries.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=8354406

This message was edited Oct 26, 2012 7:02 PM
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9316242

Ok Great!

Hopefully everbody's DG Want List is current. I know I will be looking at my buddies list...they might be surprised with seeds of a plant wanted :-)
paula_p
Brazoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9316311

This message was edited Oct 28, 2012 8:44 AM
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 26, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9316333

Ok good! I'll start collecting names and addresses now. If you haven't already Dmailed your info please do so :-)

Thanks!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 28, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9318129

Things I Love...hmmmm

Angels, Crosses, Winter scenes, Frosty the Snowman, Chocolate, Nuts, Cookies, Cheeses, and Showy annuals :-)

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 29, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9318869

Oops! I just realized that I had not yet piped up about my preferences. While I do enjoy christmas decorations, I am not religious so I prefer to skip themes that center around crosses or the nativity. I adore handmade items, and prefer heirloom seeds as I like to collect seeds that will grow "true".
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 29, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9318926

I love heirloom seeds too! I've been fortunate though...I have seeds of plants that set seeds (possible hybrids) and they have come true :-). But I'm still a softy for those heirloom type plants.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

October 31, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9320887

Hi everyone! Guess I should list a few preferences also:)
Like blue & white snowmen
crystal ornaments
"easy" to grow perennials(nothing invasive please)
fudge
smoked cheese
kitchen towels(any design) with "loop" to hang on front of oven door!!
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 31, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9321151

Ohhhh I like those kind too! I have many of those towels with crochet tops with hoops in my kitchen. I found the perfect ornament for my buddy and as far as seeds... I'll be looking at the want list with a few surprises :-)
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 31, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9321230

Several participants have sent me an address and email...Thanks. If you haven't... I already have it from a swap or trade. Please let me know if there has been any changes.

Thanks!
evr13
Fort Myers, FL

October 31, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #9321375

Hi! I'm a newly subscribed member, and participating in this kind of stuff is part of why I joined. Sign me up, please! I prefer non-religious decorations and vegetarian food items.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9321408

Kim, I think I D-mailed my info to you. If not, give me a shout.
Seeds...now that you mention it, not many seeds aren't on my wants or haves. Will try to update in time.

Hi Emily!

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

October 31, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9321439

Sue...Yup I got it :-)

Hi Emily and Thanks for joining!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 1, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9322392

Our Shirley was too modest to list her birthday, but it was today. Hope it was a good one, Girl, and many more :)

Can't wait to get my bud's name and be able to personalize gifts according to her likes.

CheerMom / Sue, since you mentioned anything musical it sounds like you might collect snowglobes...?

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

November 2, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9322543

Well, THANK YOU Susan!! Worked all day and then came home to cake & ice cream! Hubby & kids got me a new fiberglass handle shovel, hand trowel, & garden claw & a great smelling candle(red apple)(love my candles!) Guess they know what I'll be doing in the spring!!!! And, I know, I can't wait to find out who my partner is also!! Have several ideas "floating" around in my head but need to wait to see my partners likes/dislikes to see if my ideas will fit in that plan!!!! Everyone have a great day today -- off to Christmas town all day again today for me! What a mad house that town is this time of year!! Shirley

ahoogstra

ahoogstra
Cutlerville, MI

November 2, 2012
4:56 AM

Post #9322549

Hi Everyone!
Here are some of my likes...anything to do with the true meaning of Christmas. (Jesus's birth), I love snowmen, and Santa...oh who am I kidding..I love anything Christmas! I love strong chesses, smoked are awesome, I LOVE fudge, and anything rustic, old, antique like.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 2, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9322684

Christmas Town??!!!! What's that? sounds like fun and my kind of place...
Happy Belated Birthday!

I love anything Christmas too Alicia...and FOOD! Ha ha
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9322786

Top of the day, ya'll!

ooooooh Shirley, Did you go to Frankenmuth?

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

November 2, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9323165

Hello everyone,
Kim & Susan -- yup Frankenmuth it is!! Worlds largest Christmas store(Bronners) just happens to be where I work(for the season anyway!) and it is getting ridiculously crazy out there already!! Get to "enjoy" the madness for a whole 12 hours tomorrow!! Like a crazy person I pick up all the hours I can as it is only a seasonal job. Really great place to work for but absolutely jam packed the closer it gets to Christmas!!

Thanks for the birthday wish Kim!

Have a great weekend everyone while I "enjoy" the madness in Christmas town for the weekend!!!LOL

Shirley
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 2, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9323196

Shirley, And here I thought you were just going shopping for the day. Geez, 12-hour days are a long time with several weeks to go til Christmas. My hat's off to you! Like a kid in a candy store I'd be. The store displays must be utterly fantastic.

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9323479

I've never heard of that store..I would be in Christmas Bliss! I love the decorations and displays...
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9324198

Probably the second worst place for me to work other than a greenhouse would be a Christmas store. OMG...
Excited about getting our names...

sbish5
Saginaw, MI

November 4, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9324220

Working at Bronners is exciting at first but then you realize really quickly that you are there to "earn" a paycheck NOT to "spend" it!!!!! And , ooohhh Hap you are so correct--working at a greenhouse would be impossible to work at and still have a paycheck at the end of the week!!!!

This message was edited Nov 4, 2012 10:26 AM
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9324237

In SC, my Mom and I used to love going to a store called Garden Ridge. The closest stores now are near the Coast or in NC. Probably a good thing.
GAgirl1066
Blackshear, GA

November 4, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9324267

ooo, we have those here...well, not here, blackshear, but an hour away.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9324577

Any major retailer, other than Wallyworld, is an hour or better in either direction from here. Got a call from my SIL who confirmed she'll fly from Fort Worth in mid-December for an early Christmas with her Mom and we'll have our dinner here. She and I are planning to spend a day at the Taubman Museum in Roanoke to see the exhibition of Fabergé objects. They have been on display since May but hubs isn't into artsy stuff and I am chomping at the bit to go, knowing how much SIL will love it too. I think most everybody's familiar with fabulous Fabergé eggs but there is so much more.

From the museum's website:

The Taubman is proud to present the first major exhibition of Fabergé objects to be shown in western Virginia. Featuring more than 100 objects made by the renowned House of Fabergé, led by Russian artist-jeweler Peter Carl Fabergé (1846–1920), all works are from the Hodges Family Collection, assembled by American collector Daniel L. Hodges. Objects range from photograph frames, tableware, desk accessories, boxes, clocks, and jewelry to cigarette cases and smoking accessories. All of the works illustrate the consummate skill of the House of Fabergé and its inimitable use of precious and semi-precious materials to create luxury objects of the highest order.

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 6, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9326312

Going to see the Fabergé exhibit should be beautiful, and so much fun with your DSIL, course I would be terrified going to see all that stuff, I would have to leave my purse, coat, ruffle clothes, long sleeves, dangle jewelery, ah heck I would have to go in my birthday suit afraid I would catch something on something and cause all the displays to go crashing to the ground! Well I guess that could be a way to have the exhibit to myself...rofl.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9326498

If you see this thread marked closed... Pay it no mind. I check the post on my iPhone and then next thing I know is the thread is closed. I must be touching a link when scrolling.

The museum sound like a place I would like...I love exhibits.

This message was edited Nov 7, 2012 11:54 AM
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9327707

Yesterday was the last day for new sign-ups. So I will be dmailing everyone's buddy today :-)
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9327719

Cool!

happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9327775

Exciting...can't wait I have been hording coupons and I am armed and dangerous...rofl...

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

November 8, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9327785

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy! Today's the day!!!! Who will it be?
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9328200

Checking back in...got my bud's name and am super excited!

Thanks for hosting, Kim.
sbish5
Saginaw, MI

November 8, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9328273

Yeah!!! Got my "secret" partner and now I can start looking for an ornament/ornaments at work!!! See working at a Christmas store does come in handy sometimes!!!!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9328320

Just came across our Reveal thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1287257/

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9328465

Thanks Sooz...I forgot to add that. Good Looking out! :-) he he he
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9329138

Well, I believe the 'gathering of the goodies' is just about finished here.

Don't go rushing to the PO Monday since it will be closed in observance of Veteran's Day.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9329183

Thanks for that too! I didn't realize the Post Office was closed Monday...
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9329187

Me either til the evening news had a segment about Veteran's Day celebrations. Time flies, seems like it was just Memorial Day. Glad in a way it isn't after the miserably hot Summer.

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 10, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9329837

I have had entirely Too Much fun shopping for this swap! Now I can't wait to see who my buddy is for the "Let the Christmas Spirit Ring" Swap.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9332310

Please send me a reply to let me know you received your buddy. Those that already did disregard :-)

Thanks!
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9332415

Everything's ready except my Bud's seeds. Still weeding through a lot I've harvested when I should have been concentrating only on her wants.

If anybody here wants a mix of Zinnias and / or Cosmos seeds and you haven't previously requested them for the Seed Robin, raise your hands.
I have a nearly a gallon Ziploc bag of clean mixed Cosmos 'Bright Lights' and 'Klondike' seeds, and a paper grocery bag full of mixed Zinnia heads.
Still collecting both.

These are shots of some of the Zinnias: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/album/583317392ArpkYZ?start=0

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 13, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9332428

The zinnias are beautiful... I especially like the all yellow and the all red ones. I have never grown a zinnia from seed.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9332450

Got my buddies name. Craft show this weekend fun fun
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 13, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9332456

Then let me change that for you. Zinnias are super duper easy. Since ours border the driveway, all I did was dig a very shallow trench with the corner of a hoe, walked along sprinkling seeds in it, back-filled very lightly, watered in, and watched sprouts begin to emerge in literally three or four days. I didn't even plant ours til June. You could also fill in a patch if you wanted to instead of having a border. All colors are mixed, except the Red and did save a few of those heads separately.

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #9333671

I'm mailing my goodies on Saturday... I'm so excited. Hopefully it will be delivered by Thanksgiving. I've had trouble with my post office lately. They make a lot of mistakes all of the time! Last week I mailed a package to my daughter and she lives 30 minutes away. They sent it all the way to Florida to finally get it back PA and took 7 days when she should have gotten it the next day.. Sigh

Many people put their tree up right after Thanksgiving. When I was young my mother wouldn't let us put it up until a week before Christmas. I didn't like that! LOL My little kids are excited and my grown kids ( in their 20's) make it fun for the 4 and 5 year olds :-) Yes, I'm crazy for having babies now!
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9333872

Well...I decorate so much that I am starting the upstairs this weekend and the tree goes up the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We are usually eating Thanksgiving on Christmas dishes tho...rofl. It is just that my christmas dishes have all the great accessories with them that my everyday doesn't. Now how funny is that...rofl. I LOVE the holidays from Thanksgiving on to New Years...alto the ending of the year seems to make me sad. This year like all years has had it's good bad and the ugly...but still full of memories.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 15, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9333939

LOL! Hmmmm I think I'll decorate right after Thanksgiving too...The kids would love that. Although I could use some more decorations...
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 15, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9334192

We have a pre-lit tree that will go up in our family room shortly after Thanksgiving. Even pre-lit, it still takes me the better part of two days to decorate it. It's loaded but then there's the time it takes going down memory lane to reflect since I've collected ornaments as long as I can remember. Then we have two fake mini evergreens for either side of the front door, a wreath for it and one for the door to our garage, usually make a fresh evergreen swag for the mailbox, and of course the flags will be changed from Turkeys to Snowpeople. Christmas cards, if we get any...lol will be taped around our entertainment center in and out of a drape of garland. Seems cards have fallen off tremendously over the years as folks are sending e-cards, guilty myself. Music, gotta have Christmas music, jingle bells on doorknobs, and Christmas scents filling the air like cinnamon and cloves simmering in the kettle on our wood stove, and jarred candles galore. Last Spring hubs and I installed columns and railings on our front porch and am playing around with ideas how to decorate them. Don't have enough garland but do probably have enough lights which I've already started to string out, plug in and replace bulbs. I'd love to put my parents old Silver Christmas tree out there but the North wind would carry it or the branches off to the next County.

Do any of you put a wreath on your vehicle? Haven't ever done that but there's always a first time.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 16, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9335074

Somebody's goodies are on their way! Not giving any secrets away except you better like chocolates ;) I think that pretty much covers all of us...lol

Enjoy the craft show this week-end, happ. You always find the neatest things. Our big show was last month and wish now I'd gone. It's the same one SIL and I attended last year.

In case you're not already participating in our Let the Christmas Spirit Ring exchange, sign-ups end next Wednesday, Thanksgiving Eve. There's always room for more Elves:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285685/

Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9335277

I love craft shows and I probably should look into where they are in my area.

Mmmm chocolates...I have a problem with it. Sometimes I eat too much LOL. I'm trying to limit myself...he he he. It has to be fattening? Sometimes I crave it!

We have a white pre-lit tree too. I put it downstairs which is the kids tree. I really like it but it's still work to put it up. We usually get a live tree for upstairs due to relatives and a gift exchange we've had at the house the last few years. This year I think we'll hop on someone elses sled...lol. No festivities, cooking, baking, and cleanups for me this year.
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 17, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9335524

My Package just went to the Post Office :-)
Kim_M
Hamburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

November 18, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #9336163

Saturday (17th) was the mailing deadline. I hope everyone sent their package :-) Please post if you have sent.

Most importantly there is a Reveal thread...to post pictures and share what you received.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1287257/
Please post so that your buddy knows you received your package. I've been informed that a package was delivered on the 13th.

Thanks
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9336431

Well, somebody was an early bird. Package didn't arrive here last week.

USPS indicates my Bud's gifts should be delivered tomorrow.

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 18, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9336516

I used to collect snowglobes but not anymore I sold my collection. Now I collect crosses, anything olde english or olde irish, covered wooden boxes, by musical I collect ornaments that represent musical things like violins and trumpets etc. I have a couple of snowglobes left. , also like music boxes but only have one or two.
FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #9336573

My late Mother collected snowglobes and musical jewelry boxes. I gave all of them to her best friend who had gifted a lot of them to my Mom over the years, except I kept one glass jewelry box that's only brought out for Christmas. When the lid is opened, a ballerina pops up, starts twirling, and the music is "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy".

Love musical-themed ornaments and have several really old brass French horns, harps, violins, trumpets and such. So old they've begun to take on a green patina and their red cords are frayed. Most are tiny, like 4" long, although one of the French horns is large enough to use with our mailbox decorations.

It's interesting learning what we all collect and the meaning behind our keepsakes. I'll have to take a pic of a Celtic knot (brass?) spoon in my collection a friend gave me years ago after a trip to visit her family in Ireland.

CheerMom

CheerMom
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

November 18, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9336614

Oh and bells and angels too...I like lots of things...but haven't the room for everything I like LOL. When the show "Hoarders" comes on my husband talks to the dog and points to the TV and says "there's your Mommy!" - makes me so mad I'm not like that AT ALL and I feel sorry for those people - they have a sickness - it's not funny.

FruitOfTheVine
Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
(Zone 7a)

November 18, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9336626

I agree and feel so sorry for people that have trash and stuff piled so high they only have a pathway through their homes, if that.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Group Trades, Swaps and Round Robins Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
ZZ's - Star-Studded - 'Tomato Seed Round-Robin'. ZZTOPSOIL 335 Aug 8, 2007 11:54 PM
CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin? kaykay1010 134 Dec 14, 2010 6:31 PM
Spring Fever RR Crimson 146 Apr 13, 2007 12:08 PM
Houseplant Swap snboyken 146 Apr 30, 2007 12:59 PM
Yesterday's News Robin's Resurrection sign-up here Gourd 284 Jul 11, 2007 4:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America