Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Texas Gardening: Making room for "Fancy"

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 35, Views: 218
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9301816

Had to pull all those Cow Pen (in my case, Round Pen) Daisies, Josephine, just so I'd have room to work with my new horse, Fancy. I don't know what those other scraggly things in there are, but I pulled until I was tired of pullin'. Now for round pen training with my new pasture pretty.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9302032

That is a very pretty horse Sybil, I am sure you will enjoy him or her. The cowpen daisies have a lot of other places to grow.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 10, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9302057

She's pretty! What's her background?

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9302186

Hope you put the pile of seed heads at the edge of the woods out of the way to reseed. They were georgeous. I am sure they will be more come up from seeds next year too.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9302252

Congratulations, sybram! Love how nice and full your new "pretty's" tail is.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9302385

I am sure she gets lots of brushing!
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9302389

Thank you, Frostweed. I hope she's been taught that "pretty is as pretty does." ;*)

Stephanie, a friend of our son in Midlothian gave her to me. She wanted me to take both of her registered Tennessee Walking Horses, but my mister said I could have three horses, total. I had two, plus a pony and donkey. I was able to rehome the little guys. He counted the pony and donkey as one horse. hahaha. He sees everything as how much they eat. I would have loved to take them both (the other one is Star, a black), but Jeff was very generous to say "three," . This family has owned her for four years, and she has seen very little action during that time. Supposedly, she was well-trained when they got her back in Missouri, I believe. She was the daughter's horse. Actually, she is double registered TWH and Spotted Saddle Horse. I know my friend had let her friend and some teenage boys ride her, and they raced her--not good. I (age 12) ruined my first horse by racing her. It was so much fun, but problem is, when they've been raced, that's all they want to do when they get with other horses-gotta be in front of the group, want to run, etc. There's ways to train that out of them, but at 12 I only knew "kick to go, pull to stop." So, we'll see. I'm about to go out there now and do some ground work with her--respect training. Also, she racks. I've only seen horses rack on u-tube videos, and I can't wait to ride it. It's way fast. So, again, we'll see.

Thank you, Terri. All my horses are blessed with long full tails, and I love that.

Sheila, I would love to use this pile in my compost, but I'm afraid of it. Some of those stalks are 1 inches thick, and I'm afraid it won't break down. Then there's the seeds. Some have said the seeds break down and won't sprout, but some say they will. I don't know.
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9302391

Haven't brushed her yet, Sheila. I'm brushing her first thing when I go out there today.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9302431

sybram, my first "real" horse was a five gaited Saddlebred Pony. I've been told that the Saddlebred wrack and the TN Walking Horse wrack are totally different. Is that true?
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9302520

I have no idea, Terri. This will be my first experience with the rack. I see you spell it wrack. Maybe it's not the same gate...? Like I said, I know less than nothing about it.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9302531

I think I spelled it that way because I am horrible speller and was in a hurry LOL! I looked it up, it should be rack--sorry. I can remember watching Earl Teater ride a gorgeous stallion at full rack, flying around the arena like a rocket! Mr Teater was in his sixties (I believe) at the time. The ponies didn't go as fast.

(edited to say sixties, I thought that is what I typed. But I guess not--I've been doing that all day!)

This message was edited Oct 11, 2012 2:29 PM

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 11, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9302533

Proper spelling- rack. It's different tween the breeds, and occ the horses- built different in the breeding, you will simply have to see.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9302710

Sheila...total unaware what a "rack" is (other than for the oven, and something else we won't discuss), will go look up and educate herself. LOL!

OK...understand a little more now. I used to see horses in shows at Will Rogers that did that.

This message was edited Oct 11, 2012 7:14 PM

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 11, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9302741

The saddlebreds if I remember right, have an extra gait that is nice to sit, easy on ya, but I never rode a Walker. My mare was reg Qh/Thoroughbred dbl reg. She didn't fit arenas real well, but I had 800 acres we ran and worked the cows home on for 12 yrs. Chuckl, these bones would take slow adjusting to ease into a saddle these years.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 11, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9302780

LOL Sheila!!
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9302952

I've had such interruptions every day since I got her that I've only been out to feed her and do a little training (disengaging the hindquarters, backing, leading, flexing). Today I plan to get her use to a full-cheek snaffle bit, which is what I use on all my horses. They've been using a shank (leverage) bit with a curb chain. I think she'll take to it, because most horses are started in a snaffle, but then get moved on to a harsher bit as they mature.

I kept Fancy up in the round pen for 2 days, so she and the boys could get their snorting and other agressive posturing pretty well over with, before I let her out yesterday afternoon. I had to leave for my grandson, Parker's, football game, so I didn't get to observe their behavior. It'll be fun to see how they worked out the dominance issue. Of course, the boys were drooling and following her around like puppies, because it was "that time" of the month. They're both geldings, so "pre...cious mem...ries, how they lin...ger...

OK, as much as I love talking ""horse," I realize it is way OT for this site, so I'm done.

To get us back ON topic, I'll share that the pile of Cow Pen Daisies is still in the center of my round pen, and it will be my first order of business when I go outside.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9302970

As many CPD that you have there, I wouldn't put them in the compost. I was thinking they would make a great addition to your area of fence we had plant tables along. They are so bright and colorful.
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9303048

YOU'RE ASKING ME TO PLANT WEEDS (identified as any undesirable plant)?!?!!! hahaha! I can't even imagine doing that, I guess because EVERYWHERE they come up they're undesirable to me and a pain in my patootie. Like Broomweed, Josephine. And Bitterweed. And whatever that is on the pasture side of the fence that I said the horses wouldn't eat, and nobody knew what was.
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9303395

Told ya.

1> Loaded and headed for our "dump." Our tank was built in the way early 1900s by damming up a creek, so we have this dry creek bed behind the tank dam. Very handy. We only put degradable stuff in there (stumps, tree limbs, all kinds of trimmings and WEEDS).

2> Before (looks like the CPDs have a good start there, too)

3> After

We don't have a tractor, but ever so often we hire a guy to do some stuff, and while here, he'll push all this brush, etc. into the creek bed.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9303410

Well Sybil, it sure looks like you have a wonderful compost pile in the making right there in the dry creek bed.
Some day you may want to harvest that rich compost and use it in your garden.
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9303486

Well, I don't know, Josephine. Some of the stuff we put back there will take many years to decompose. Also, there is a lot of poison ivy in the creek bed. I don't understand that, because I thought it needed sunlight. Every few years I get around to taking Roundup to it, and that keeps it pretty well in check. (OK, I know you won't like that remedy, but hey, it's poison ivy, and I try to not get it on anything else.)

I still want to come see your place sometime, and get inspired. ;&)

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9303488

Sybil, you should post your Fancy story in the horse (equine) forum! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/horses/all/

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9304672

Great that you still have some CPd around. The compost will happen over time.
If you come up to see Josephines house, I have another friend that I want to see it too. Maybe we could bring sandwiches and have a picnic there.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9305451

That would be a good idea, would you girls want to do it on a weekday? or a Sunday? It could be a Saturday, but I will be busy at the wildscape on the 20th.
Think about it and let me know.
Josephine.
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9305583

Girls, that sounds really fun. During the week is best for me. I have so much company on the weekends. I'm out on Wednesday and through by 11, so picnic lunch sounds great. It's ok if you need a different day.

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9305601

O.K. I volunteer Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday so probably Thursday or Friday is best for me.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9306527

I could do Thursday or Sunday.
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9306530

I could do Thursday, but not Sunday.

Sheila??

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9306793

I will check with my friend about Thursday the 18th, but even if she isn't on for it ...I am!!!!

Josephine is this week ok? DH has surgery next week so that would be out for me.

This message was edited Oct 16, 2012 8:28 AM
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9306928

Josephine, is it ok if I bring a friend or two, also?

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9307199

Yes, the 18th is fine, the flowers are looking good now, what time do you have in mind?

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9307383

If it's this Thursday, I won't be able to attend. I have 2 appointments that day that I can't miss. :(

frostweed

frostweed
Josephine, Arlington, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9307428

Sorry Stephanie, let us see what everyone else has to say.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9307543

No problem. If it doesn't work out, it's okay. I'll try again next time.

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9307788

My friend can't come, and I have seen it many times...the following week Herman will be getting out of hosp...so Sybil you are going to have to take pictures!

I am going to check with a neighbor that is wanting to start doing something in her yard about coming. I don't know if Thursday will be good for her but I will keep looking in to see what you guys are planning.

stephanietx

stephanietx
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9307863

Sybil, how's Fancy doing?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America