Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vines and Climbers: Lophospermum in zone 7

Communities > Forums > Vines and Climbers
bookmark
Forum: Vines and ClimbersReplies: 14, Views: 123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 11, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9302208

I'd appreciate any advice on holding this one over winter here on Long Island, zone 7.

It's been so beautiful that I'd hate to lose it. I'm guessing I'd cut it back but what temperatures and what lighting would it want?

It has been in the same spot since I bought it, getting early morning and late afternoon sun.

I did take many cuttings about two months ago but none have formed roots - not the ones in water nor the ones in soil that appear to be dying.

Our indoor (unheated) porch is very sunny and other plants love it. I'm hoping the Lophospermum will enjoy spending the winter there.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9305022

Saving the tubers works best for me. I store them the same way you would store a Dahlia tuber; cool and dry and dark.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9305146

Alana, you COULD send me some of your tubers. LOL - I can't get them to grow from seeds.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9305211

I'm stunned...and very thankful. I had no idea they formed tubers! Thanks so much!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 14, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9305252

Arlene, maybe you could root your trimmings and then trade them to me!!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9305277

IF they ever root. They're SO stubborn!

Maybe I should try rooting from the living plant and not cutting it off...as in layering.

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #9305571

Kay, I got tired of it and gave my white erubescens away this summer, but I would be delighted to send you Red Dragon.

pirl, if you decide to save the tubers wait until a frost just nips the foliage. If they are in a hanging basket the easiest way to get them is to just turn the soil out of the basket to expose the tubers. I usually take mine in around the first of November and it looks like it will work out that way again this year. Store them cool and dark and dry. In January I check on the tubers and if they are looking too shriveled I sprinkle a few drops of water on them and put them back until March when I start them into growth for the next season. Mine were originally grown from seed, but they develop quickly and are bigger faster if you start with a tuber.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
4:14 AM

Post #9305578

I'll follow your advice and take some photos.

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it. We certainly enjoyed it since the day I bought it. Love the color!

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
6:57 AM

Post #9389975

Good news!

I did cut it back in late November and put it on the porch in an out of the way spot. One day I spotted all new growth and now each plant (four in the pot) are a foot tall so I guess cutting it back to get it fuller would be the thing to do.

Cuttings didn't work well. Only one took and only time will tell if that one will grow into something worthwhile or die.

Thanks for your help, poisondartfrog!
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2013
7:31 AM

Post #9390001

Isn't Alana just the best - love you, Lady Bug!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
7:33 AM

Post #9390003

Yes! She saved the day for me with her excellent advice and knowledge of the plant.

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
1:18 PM

Post #9390329

I'm blushing, lol. Time to look at mine and see how they are doing. I will get them ready for the greenhouse soon.
It is amazing how many cool plants can be overwintered as tubers if your zone is not warm enough to grow them year round. Gotta love it.
Alana
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9390333

Alana, when do I pot mine up?

poisondartfrog

poisondartfrog
Barbourville, KY
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2013
1:31 PM

Post #9390343

Kay, I think you could start it into growth anytime you can keep it from falling below 50 degrees at night and can provide good light. I would love to see what yours looks like after a growing season in your climate!
I will wait a couple of weeks until I am ready to start heating the greenhouse to pot mine up and won't be able to put it outside until April, but by then it should be up and growing well.
KayJones
Lee's Summit, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2013
2:18 PM

Post #9390391

OK, thanks SO MUCH!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vines and Climbers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
air potato - Discorea bulbifera euphorbrom 7 Jun 13, 2012 7:59 PM
Mexican Flame Vine Aimee 11 Jun 25, 2013 8:28 PM
Dutchman's Pipe! golddog 15 Jan 10, 2008 6:14 AM
Speaking of Wisteria... hpluver 27 Jul 10, 2009 11:58 AM
confederate jasmine dixiechick 9 Jun 1, 2008 5:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America