Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Landscaping: Mulching Old Maples

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 5, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nancy_p
Fincastle, VA

October 11, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9302621

Hello,

Thanks for this forum. I am new here and until recently have not had the time to care for my yard in the manner it deserves. But I'm starting now. I don't know much about plants and trees so I'll need some guidance. I have two very old maple trees in my yard. They appear healthy and were recently professionally trimmed for the second time in 25 years. I would like to provide some fresh soil around their base but I recall an old local farmer friend saying you can't put too much soil around the base of a tree. Can someone advise me please? I appreciate any advice! Thank you!

I live in southwest Virginia, planting zone 6. We have a lot of clay in our soil; both trees are on a gradual slope.

Thanks very much!
Nancy

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9303076

It's not advisable to add soil on top of tree roots," Changes in soil depth around trees can also cause injury to root systems. The addition of only 4 to 6 inches of soil over a root zone drastically reduces the amount of oxygen and water available to the roots"
you can mulch(shredded leaves are great) about 2" depth around a tree but do not mound it up to the trunk keep a space around the trunk of about 12"
nancy_p
Fincastle, VA

October 12, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9303485

Thank you very much! I appreciate that information. I'll have plenty of leaves in a few weeks! These beautiful trees turn my yard bright autumn orange every year.

Thanks for your advice.
Nancy

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9303529

You're welcome
KigiTrees
Kelso, WA

November 16, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9334985

Another thing you can do is aerate around the tree if possible, and then add some of your organic mulch such as leaves or bark. I would suggest this to help give those roots some air and something new to feed on.

Good Luck!

Justen
Kigi Nursery & Landscaping
hlechat
St Louis, MO

January 27, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9399394

KIgiTrees' advice is excellent, Nancy, as is flowAjan's

Why did you want to add soil under the trees? Were you looking for the effect of compost/mulch?

And, it could depend on which maple you have -- hardwood vs. silver maple, for example.

Tell us a bit more about what prompted you to think about doing this. You might get some further lovely answers. :-)

(I am in zone 6, as well) :-)

Where I live, municipalities have free compost piles or mulch piles. That might be true in your area, as well.

Looking forward to hearing more about your gardening/landscape fun!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America