Photo by Melody

Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict: OMG!

Communities > Forums > Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict
bookmark
Forum: Article: True Confessions of a Gardening AddictReplies: 9, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 11, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9302838

OMG! Someone who is more addicted to plants than I am. How can that be? Jeremy, I just loved your article. You are a very entertaining writer. I am happily addicted as well. What else is there in life? If it wasn't gardening, it would be something else. It helps me feel less depressed and stressed, and I couldn't dream of living differently. I have 1.25 acres. There's always way more than I have time to take care of.

Karen
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

October 15, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9305723

LOL Yes, I told my husband it could be worse. I could be addicted to shopping for jewelry!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 15, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9306465

LOL! So much more satisfying to shop for plants.

Karen

grakay

grakay
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9312430

Jeremy,

You have been and continue to be my mentor in all things green!

Your words are as fluent as your talent with the roots of all plants having had the good fortune of meeting you.

Your willingness to share all your green treasures and your innate talent makes you a rare gem indeed.

Thank you for being you!

Gracie

FlyPoison

FlyPoison
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9313088

Karen said:

"If it wasn't gardening, it would be something else. It helps me feel less depressed and stressed, and I couldn't dream of living differently. I have 1.25 acres. There's always way more than I have time to take care of."

I only have little more than 1/3 acre but I can totally relate. Next week I'm renting a cargo van to drive 2 hours to pickup plants at native plant nursery that's closing its doors. I can make room for many more plants but will likely buy a lot more than I normally would.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9313553

HA!!! I can relate! If I could load up a cargo van with plants, I would. I would have to be retired, though. And I sure wish I was. I would be spending most of my time in the gardens or doing gardening related things.

Karen
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 12, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9356658

Thanks, all, for your kind comments. They come at a much needed time. The City of Jacksonville Code Compliance Division has somehow determined that my botanical garden/cottage garden consisting of several hundred species/cultivars is a "public nuisance" due to "untended weeds" and "excessive growth." I have awakened on three mornings to have the police banging on my door with a landscape crew in tow, intent upon leveling my gardens and hauling off any of my possessions that they can label as "trash." I was able to stop the crew at the curb on the first two occasions by calling the Mayor's Office and city General Counsel attorneys, but the third time, they entered my yard and hacked away at a lot of my plants, causing incalculable amounts of destruction. I, again, managed to get the devastation halted with frenetic phone calls (but not before a lot of damage had occurred, and not before the lawn crew had somehow determined that every aluminum item in my yard was "trash" -- including the rolled up aluminum outer hull of an above-ground pool that I had obtained for free on Craig's List by agreeing to take apart the behemoth pool and haul it away). I'm sure the work crew got a hefty bonus for the sale of the aluminum to local metal recycling facilities, so it is hard for me to imagine how items with monetary value can meet the dictionary definition of "trash" -- an item with no value!

The landscape crews have once again been peering over my perimeter fences trying to get an idea of what bid to make for another assault by the city on my gardens. I never knew that such an intrusive invasion of privacy could occur in the good 'ol USA, so it has been a real slap in the face of reality to realize that the city can make any claim and enter personal residential property to destroy, mangle, and haul away anything they can claim falls under their authority. I expect to awake another morning soon to find, once again, the police and work crews on my doorstep, ready to launch another assault on my gardens.

And all this comes at a time when I am dealing with a recent diagnosis of cancer that requires radiation therapy Monday- Friday and personal body pump chemo treatments for 24/7 for a few weeks during the treatment period. I have sent entreaties to the city to put the matter into abeyance until I have the strength, energy and time to deal with the situation, but my pleas for mercy have fallen on apparently deaf ears.

Sorry to bring everyone down with such a bummer response to the joy and enthusiasm expressed in my gardening addicts article, but the city has wore me down to the point where I am just ready to walk away, let the house go into foreclosure, declare bankruptcy and garden no more.

Sad, sad, sad... but so very true!

Jeremy

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9356855

Jeremy, I will pray for you. That is rotten to the core, is what it is. Not only for you to be dealing with cancer, but to have the town come down on you like that. Why can't they leave decent people alone? That's just awful!

Karen
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

December 17, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9360841

Thanks, Karen. You know, we think we are safe in our own little homes and gardens and just want to go about pursuing our joy in life, and then the city comes in and tells me the gardens I've worked so hard to create are nothing but "untended weeds" and "overgrowth." And what really irks me is that there is not a landscaper or gardener anywhere in the Code Enforcement office. They just came out and haphazardly chopped away at plants that they had no idea what they were cutting.

GRRRRR!

Jeremy

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

December 19, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9362193

They should really have no right to do that. I remember following a story on FB about a woman in Oak Park, Michigan, in a residential neighborhood, who decided to have a veggie garden in her front yard in raised beds. She wanted to grow some food and have it be a learning experience for her kids. Although most of the neighbors weren't bothered by it, a few sour apples complained to the town, and the town tried to force her to put it in her backyard. She was taken to court by the city. Not sure if she ever won, but I believe she eventually moved to Oregon or Washington.

Anyhow, good luck to you.

Karen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant Addicts Unite! chrissy100 35 Oct 29, 2007 1:19 AM
Jeremy, what a saga! Happy_1 11 Oct 28, 2007 3:09 PM
By request: Enlargeable photos - 1 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 4:54 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 2 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 6:43 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 3 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America