Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 12, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #9303160

We continue from 144 which is here, with 187 postings: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1261397/
So I thought of continuing to share with a new one.
Pansy.
Hibiscus.
A tiny fly.
A tiny bee hovering on Aloe vera flowers.
I think this is called Tree Jasmine.

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9303412

Thanks for starting the new thread on this one, Dinu, and as usual, some very charming images from you!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9306299

Here in Palo Alto ...

• the leaves are beginning to turn
• squirrels are going crazy
• and pumpkins are popping up everywhere ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada      

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 18, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9309055

I had so much catching up to do, some wonderful photos. Dinu I always love your insects. I even captured some while camping this past week, hope they turned out okay.
Jub, I love to see the fall colors, and our squirrels going crazy too.

Some fall colors in my Florida garden...

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9309089

Sunkissed, wonderful fall colors from Florida! And, what a handsome caterpillar! A real beaut! What kind is it?
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9309143

Here's a little of the fall color around Palo Alto ...

• Mums in front of Gamble Garden's Gazebo
• Zinnia
• Tithonia
• House across the street in Halloween mode ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 18, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9309315

Wow -- so many pretties! Sunkissed, I have to second Jubilada's comment on the caterpillar. I've never seen one so bright and colorful. Can't wait to find out what it is.

Jubilada, those are real Chrysanthemums, aren't they? I so very rarely see them anymore -- just the little Garden Mums. My mother used to grow them years ago. They are so lovely! The thumbnail of your Tithonia looks like a pumpkin!

Thanks for the new thread, Dinu.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 18, 2012
10:43 PM

Post #9309466

I believe this may be a Carpenter Bee. There was a good bit of wind blowing and it was holding on, not intimidated by the gusts or me.

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary         

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9309479

HelloMissMary - What a wonderful subject.
Long time no post . . . LOL, but we just got a new camera and I just had to post some shots.
1. Salvia and aloe
2. Titus the Tortoise
3. Jay at the birdbath

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee      

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 19, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9309602

The caterpillar is a sulfur caterpillar. They love the Cassia plant.

Mary the bee a nice shot, love the eyes.

Jub nice fall colors. All the yellows and oranges come out in flowers too, not just trees. Thanks goodness from one in a warm state.

Dome, nice catch of the Jay, I don't know why I just can't ever get a clear shot of a bird for the life of me. I like Titus too. I used to have a pet tortoise when I lived in California, but my Dad gave it away when it started eating his prized rose bushes. :-(

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed      

Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

October 19, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9310145

Wow, loving all the fabulous pictures!
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

October 20, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9310891

Spent the afternoon shopping for flowers. Tomorrow I plant.

Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers         

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9313279

Valsflowers, nice bunch of blooms, there, did you get them all planted?

Here are some mums ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

October 23, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9313595

The mums are the perfect fall color. I got most of them planted. I need to get some garden soil for a small strip along my front walk for the remaining ones.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 24, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9313932

Beautiful pictures... I've been watching silently.
Here are a few from today.
A jet airliner goes across leaving a smoke trail. It is a frequent route for this.
A 2-seater doing rounds of the city - special flights for 15-minutes duration over the city to provide aerial view of the city - of course for a fee.
Grandpa Otts in bloom.

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu      

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9315201

Dinu, you got a bird in there with that jetliner! Grandpa Otts is lovely ... a perennial morning glory?

Here's a shot from the Farmer's Market. Somebody just left their stuff on the ground, while they purchased a crêpe from the crêpe stand ...

And, another of a huge hole in the ground where a new house is being built. The hole, of course, will be the basement, something that is de rigueur for any new house built in Palo Alto these days. Therein will be guest quarters, home theater, gymnasium, wine cellar, etc., ad nauseam...

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada         

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 25, 2012
11:38 PM

Post #9315666

Jubi, that's a dragonfly in that jet shot.
Here is another with more d/f and in the other a kite in the left top corner.
I love to watch these trails.

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu         

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9316399

Window display in a little shop on University Avenue ... handmade pumpkin macarons with jack o' lantern faces ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

October 26, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9316613

Nice cookies, Jubilada. They look tempting!

Some Fall foliage from me:

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9316853

Mary lovely fall foliage shots. Jub love the window shot with the reflection...and yes the macaroons do look good. You wouldn't realize how big that hole is, if not for that man standing in it. Rare for homes in Central Florida to have basements, guess because we are at sea level and too sandy.
Dinu I get dragonflies in my shots all the time, so common here in the fall...so much alike your land and mine.

Some shots from my hike last week, Florida Fall, the buck was really far off and I zoomed in the best I could.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

October 27, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9317007

Verrry nice pictures above - Jubi, Mary and sunkissed!

Sunkissed, your second shot is amazing! I enjoyed the depth and sharpness and made me wonder how far you were from it for that shot.
In the 3rd picture, we may miss the vertically sitting butterfly. And then the last one. So many beauties!

Dinu

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 31, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9320959

Dinu, I was right on top of that butterfly in the second photo, the others were a few feet away, they were all around me, it is always like that in October at this place, they love the wildflowers in this field. I go every year but this year was exceptionally wonderful. Glad you liked the photos. ☺

My camera is behaving bad on close ups lately (as you see with the caterpillar), my son said it is time for me to get a new one. I need glasses and a freezer first...so for now I'll put up with it.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 5, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9325628

Sunkissed, those butterfly shots are just wonderful! And what a nice bunch of them! There are some awfully good little cameras out there that don't cost an arm and a leg ... of course, glasses are really important!

Here's some of what I spied today ...

A KatyDid sleeping on a brugmansia bloom at sunrise
And pumpkins in a yard ... which belongs to Melissa Mayer, CEO of Yahoo ... she always has such marvelous seasonal displays. Unfortunately I missed her Halloween spectacular ...

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 6, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9326013

Jubi, amazing sharpness on the first picture. I am very fond of the bricks... the lovely pavement and steps are so beautiful. Clinker bricks?

A bug yesterday.
Aaaah, now you can take a look at our new house, newly painted now.
Grandpa Otts was smiling yesterday.

DMersh
Perth
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9326112

Many excellent pictures on here, your new house looks great Dinu.
Few pictures here I took up in the hills near where I live, already had snow up higher.

Sheep lower down on the rocky hillside, snow at the top of the hill, my rucksack by the cairn on Choinneachain Hill.

Thumbnail by DMersh   Thumbnail by DMersh   Thumbnail by DMersh      

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9326134

Dinu, your new house looks absolutely fabulous ... very nice photo, too!

DMersh, wonderful shot of those sheep! Snow at the top of the hill is pretty nice, too!
DMersh
Perth
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9326264

Thanks Jubilada, they call those Blackface Sheep, from the black mask over they're faces. They are very tough sheep, living semi wild on the high hills, weather can be foul up there, very wet with freezing winds.
DMersh
Perth
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9326268

lower down in the glen.

Thumbnail by DMersh

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 6, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9326608

A couple shots at the "Apple Farm" market on Halloween.

Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

November 7, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9326808

I love the pictures of the apple farm. It's the simple things.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 7, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9326853

DMersh, your sack against the cairn is nice!! :)
DHdee, fine shots - esp, the kid's expression in the last one!! I really enjoyed that.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9326937

Very nice "Apple Farm" shots, DomeHomeDee ...

It's November, already, and still squash blossoms on the Tromboncino ... (it was in the 80s here yesterday) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9327417

Yeah, how about this weather. I have daffodils blooming, and the watsonia's are almost all the way up. My fortnight lillies are blooming better than they ever have and I still have canna patens blooming. It's a bit worrysome really, what are the bulbs going to do when the cold does finally hit. I have Fall seeds I want to put out but I don't dare until it gets colder or they might just come up now.
Here are some of my late bloomers.
Oh, and Dinu, feeding goats and llamas is very serious business, that's the "now don't bite me" look.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee         

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 9, 2012
1:16 AM

Post #9328519

Nice colours Dome.

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9332135

Today in my shade garden and on the feeder

Thumbnail by MsMaati

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #9332138

Birds are hungry after our dry summer.

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9332143

Sorry picture did not load.

Thumbnail by MsMaati

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9332319

Welcome MsMaati ... very cute bird shot ... a little house finch?

Here the autumn spiders a beginning to spin their webs ... haven't seen too many, yet, though ... and on my walk yesterday a rose of a particularly fetching color!

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9332324

Wonderful Rose!!! We haven't had near the number of big spiders we usually get in the fall. Very hot dry summer for us.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9332577

I love the spider shots. I may have to go out and get a few tomorrow, I know there are some great webs in my yard too.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 13, 2012
10:15 PM

Post #9332697

Some Autumn color in Memphis

1. (Sugar?) Maple
2. Shelby Farms
3. Burning Bush
4. Red Maple
5. Enormous Tulip Poplar (I think)

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary   Thumbnail by HelloMissMary

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 14, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9333023

J,
The rose picture is so lovely. As if it is in front of me!
HMM,
Stupendous set! What colours! Liked the second esp. - it has a great array of shades.

This evening's shots from me.

1.A kite perches on a high-mast junction light. I think there is also a little Munia bird also.
2.Epidendrum.
3.Sunset.. had no choice of angle. Was on top near the O/h water tank.
4.Guess what is this.
5.This is the answer to the above.

Dinu

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9334021

Miss Mary, ditto what Dinu said ... that is a fabulous group of photographs! The colors are absolutely killer!

Dinu, very nice Epidendrum shot. Pretty!

From me, a shop window with seasonal goodies, and a pile of leaves in the middle of a street, waiting to be collected. Lots of brown leaves here this year, not much color ... I suspect the dry weather and late frost is part of it.

Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

November 15, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9334251

Miss Mary, your pictures are gorgeous!
Dinu, The picture of the Epidendrum has what looks like a little face with some crazy hair and an open mouth in the lower right hand corner.
Jubilada, do they really put all the leaves in the middle of the road for collection? If a car drives by, doesn't it scatter them?
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 15, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9334317

Valsflowers, I've never understood why they do that with the leaves, but they do, and have done for years, and evidently it works out ok ... go figure ...

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 15, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9334354

Thanks. The Epidendrum blue background is actually a plastic barrel to which I deliberately adjusted the angle.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 16, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9334536

Today's shots for you.

~ This evening's crescent moon with moonflowers silhouetted on either side of my arch.
~ Same moon. The dark corner to the right is actually the moonflower. Light was failing at this time.
~ Taken this morning - Grandpa Otts, nicely up my arch decorating my favourite quote by G.B.Shaw.
~ First Gerbera up in its new 'plot'.
~ A Magpye Robin was having its breakfast on the tiled roof. Its catch, a lizard is unseen at its feet.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 16, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #9334610

Well, Dinu, what a very fine bunch of photos! Love that crescent moon. Wonderful garden quote (I'll remember that!). Beautiful Gerbera! And, that Magpie Robin picture is truly something! Thanks for this early morning eye candy!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 16, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9334638

Have a good day, Jubi.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

November 17, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9335374

Here are some pictures of my gardens.
The first one is my flower garden that my husband built me when we moved in the house. This is my happy place.
The second is the rose garden for my daughter (she doesn't take care of it, so now it is mine too). :-)
The third is a picture of one of the beds that was just planted with a few leftovers from the summer.
The last is of the mums in bloom. My mother loves mums and my husban loves orange, so this reminds me of my family.

Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers   

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 17, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9335433

Vals, very nice garden pictures. Your paradise really! The stone parapet is beautifully done too.

[ A little calotes waiting for its food cannot catch this butterfly near its tail - wrong place!
[ Ipomoea cristulata.
[ Close up of my favourite water lily.
[ I forget the name of this plant at this time. Bud, flower and the calyx that held the flower yesterday.
[ A spotted dove dries up its wings near my pond.

All taken today, as I was finding some leisure at home, after a long while.

I also added a new post to my Garden Blog: http://dinusyarden.blogspot.in/

Dinu

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 19, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9337006

As usual I'm way behind. I've been pretty busy with my mom after her surgery (she fell and broke her arm, but doing much better now), and then I went camping all week in the woods last week. No Internet there ☺.

Jub, the pumpkin display by the CEO of Yahoo is pretty amazing and I would photograph it also. The pink rose is very pretty also.

Dinu, the new house is really remarkable, so different than our houses here in the US. All your garden photos are wonderful, and I'll go check out your garden blog. I really like the magpie Robin and close up of the water lily.

DMersh, the photo of the sheep on the hillside is just wonderful! Love the snowy mountain scenes, especially the one with your backpack, or rucksack as you call it. ☺

Domehomedee, isn't that market so quaint, so Autumn! I so want to walk around it.

Welcome MsMaati and that is a really pretty colored bird, not sure what kind it is, but nice shot.

Miss Merry just remarkable fall shots, I especially like the close up of the burning bush.

Val you have such beautiful gardens, very lovely shots.

A few shots I got while hiking in the woods this past week. Not really sure what the one red plastic looking flower is, but sure was unique. The last one is a close up of moss growing on a rotting log.

This message was edited Nov 19, 2012 10:14 AM

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 19, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9337343

Great pictures sunkissed. The flower looks like it could be some kind of protea. It that your tortoise? I have a sulcata named "Titus".

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 19, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9337698

Thanks sunkissed.
Some of Sunday's shots.
~ Coconut husk being transported. Many families use it for fuel to boil water for bath purposes.
~Two pelicans were sailing round and round - I had failed to adjust the ISO in the camera - so it came out grainy.
~ A Ring Road off Mysore.
~ A sort of bee taking a pause. I have not seen this fellow sit like that. I had only seen it buzzing.

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9339263

Valsflowers, your gardens are really lovely! Happy places indeed!
Dinu, that orange morning glory is something. And your pelican duo and "sort of" bee shots are great!
Sunkissed, very nice group of shots from your hiking in the woods!

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 21, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9339285

... of cabbages and kings ... and this is a king of a cabbage! (From a friend's community garden plot.)

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 22, 2012
12:50 AM

Post #9339616

That's a wonderful knife! :)
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

November 22, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9339932

Is it a cutco knife? What are you going to do with the cabbage? Slaw?
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 22, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9339935

It's what they call a "santoku" knife. That cabbage will be slaw, and soup, and whatever else (maybe cabbage with sour cream and noodles) I can think of. For two people it will make about five or six different dishes.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 22, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #9340307

That cabbage made my mouth water -- it just shouts "Fresh!".
Dinu, I especially like your water lily closeup -- it's so festive-looking!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 23, 2012
12:56 AM

Post #9340333

Jubi,
I was playing a little joke and you did not understand! You showed us a lovely cabbage and I commented on that knife! Now at least you smile!! :)
Another query on cabbage growing.. Here, they get infested easily, so the farmers resort to chemical spraying, for which reason those who know this fact will avoid buying cabbage. Also it holds good for cauliflower. I wanted to ask how growing conditions are in your area - does it require that extra care to prevent infestation? We buy cabbage once in a while.

Mary,
Thanks - I don't know how many shots I've taken of the water lily. Every day I see that, but it is hard to refrain myself from not shooting it!

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9340515

Dinu, at our community garden we are not allowed to use non-organic gardening methods, so any chemical sprays and the like are out of the question. There are on occasion "infestations" of one sort or another (snails, slugs, aphids, cabbage worms), but if one uses good organic methods, their impact is generally minimal.

I have in my plots cabbage, chard, kale and cauliflower growing (not ready for harvest yet, however). Didn't get any broccoli this year (the seeds never sprouted, or the birds got them all!).

And I think I knew you were playing a little joke there about the knife!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 23, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9340593

Speaking of growing things ... I like to grow my own garlic (an essential ingredient in just about everything) ... and this pretty head of Music Garlic was 2-1/2 inches across and weighed 4 oz. Can't buy anything like that in the supermarket!

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 24, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9341251

Jubi, thanks for the info. on cabbage growing...

A katydid entertained me this morning.
Another pink-blue combo ready to bloom from tomorrow, one by one. Forgot name as I post this.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 25, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9342133

Domehomedee, not my tortoise, was on my hiking path, didn't seem to mind me at all photographing it. I did have a pet tortoise when I lived in Calif. when I was in high school. My Dad gave it away since it was eating his garden.

Dinu what a site all those Coconut husk on that vehicle. I think the katydid is cute when you look at it that closely. ☺ Interesting flower.

Jubi, One heck of a nice fresh looking cabbage, but I do like that knife. Very impressive garlic bulb too.

This little squirrel which I've named, "Peanut" has taken quite an attraction to me. Was just a wee thing back in early spring and I would talk to it as it would watch me doing my gardening. It now comes when I call it and sniffs my toes, to make sure it is me. Follows me all over the garden now.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9342139

Sunkissed, that is one cute little squirrel ... and how sweet that "Peanut" has become such a pet! Hope Peanut isn't a destructive little squirrel, like the ones in my yard!

Dinu, I LOVE those katydid shots! I'm quite fond of katydids, and have a few in my yard as well!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 25, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9342343

Love the katydid, and the pictures of "Peanut", he's so cute.
Here are a few photos I downloaded today:
1 & 2 Autumn joy babies
3 & 4 Butterflies on Gallardia
5 Birds at the feeder

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 26, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9342806

Thanks. For katydid lovers, see this! http://dinusyarden.blogspot.in/2012/11/playing-with-bush-cricket.html
More photos of this insect and some below here!

~ Western sky.. I like those lines when the sun hides itself behind the cloud like that!
~ It was like a burning cloud.
~ I can see our Mysore Palace domes from our rooftop. But for the huge billboard, it was neatly visible!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 27, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9343852

Squirrels don't do too much damage here, they dig holes in my flower pots and garden beds looking for their buried acorns, but nothing I can't fix.

Domehomedee I like the Autumn joy babies, is that a piece off the mother plant?

Dinu I went to your blog of the katydid, very nice. I tried to leave a comment but guess I have to create an account to do so. They really are cool insects. I don't ever see either praying mantis or katydids here, used too a long time ago...I wonder why? Now I'm curious. ☺

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9344217

Sunkissed, yes that is the bloom stalk off of one of this years' plants. I've never had them pup like that, usually they come up off the base.
I think I'm going to leave the bloom stalks on longer now that I know they may produce babies. I'm usually pretty prompt at dead-heading.
I potted these guys up to sell at the farmer's market.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

November 27, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9344245

Went to the Dallas Arboretum over Thanksgiving.They had the Chiluly glass on display and lots of gourds

Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

November 27, 2012
10:03 PM

Post #9344402

Love the gourd hut, Valsflowers!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 28, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9344623

Great gourd hut...thanks for sharing.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 28, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9344652

Vals, wonderful pictures. I'm astonished at the variety of gourd you get there.. and the way they have made that stall house.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

November 28, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9344676

A tiny little bee is inside a water lily flower. Look at its pollen sacs. A blue-banded bee is about to sit. A spotted dove with wings open.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 28, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9344844

Domehomedee, I'm fascinated by your Autumn Joy Babies ... that's so cool. My Autumn Joy plant (which is probably 20 years old) has never done that!

Valsflowers, that gourd house is really spectacular!

Dinu, nice blue banded bee catch!

• Here's a sign of the times in my neighborhood ...

• And, the frame of a house built in 1896, which is being reconstructed and renovated ... it was never completely dismantled, simply covered in black fabric of some sort and moved over to the side while a basement was dug and the foundation laid. It has since been moved back atop the new foundation and basement. I'll be very interested to see what the final result will be. I would imagine the owners are paying a fortune to have this done!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 5, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9350331

Dinu love the bee on that brilliant flower.
Jub, my youngest son has been moonlighting putting up Christmas lights, he is making pretty good money at it. He said he'll have enough to buy all his books for next semester. I love that boy. ☺

Some garden shots from last week, long tailed skipper (cropped), ladybird bug on my Firecracker plant (Russelia sarmentosa), my cat Simba playing with the Christmas lights, a honey bee on the Mexican sunflower.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

December 5, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #9350337

sunkissed, I guess you went really close to the butterfly - nice shot. I think the shadow of your camera/lens unit is seen on the wing!

~ this is growing in the bog of the pond.
~ tailorbird.

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu         

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

December 5, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9350391

Sunkissed, your colorful images are so nice. Most of our color has died out now, including the Autumn leaves.
Jubilada, times have truly changed, have they not?
Dinu, I think your pink flower stalk might be some kind of Persicaria. I have some of the kind called "Lady's Thumb" growing around here. Though it's weedy, I let it grow in certain places because I like the little pink blooms.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

December 5, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9350987

That pink one also grows in soil. Will have to check its name. Thanks Mary for the clue.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 6, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9351239

Mary our fall color peaks in mid to late November and some trees last until late December or even early January if no freezes. I'm glad you enjoyed the colors.

Dinu I had not noticed the shadow, good eye you have. I like the pink flowers and the Taylor bird is a a very nice shot, I like how the coloring of the background matches well with that plump little bird. I can't ever seem to get a good shot of a bird and I have so many visiting the back garden this time of year...they are just too skiddish.

A tropical hibiscus bloom just popped out, my Crimson passiflora is all over the place, I think they look like poinsettias, a Lo moth catterpillar munching away on my bush clover, my pink Christmas Cactus about to bloom, and so is the desert rose.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 7, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9352554

Sunkissed, very nice bunch of images ... the ladybird bug, the bee, the butterfly ... all wonderful. Simba's adorable (named after the Lion King?). And ... that caterpillar ... fabulous!

Dinu, the Tailor Bird shot is great!

From my walk today ...

• a pretty leaf
• some mushrooms
• a pretty marvelous Ginkgo tree
• fetishes on a shelf
• glass and a crystal in a window

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

December 8, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9353006

A calotes youngster was posing for me - a macro shot from a 5 cm.
Water lens I made from a dropper bottle that was empty with original content.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 10, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9354396

Jub...I just love your photos and the things you spot, you truly have a photographers eye. I like the glass in the window shot. Pretty tree. I need to take my camera on my walks more often. Yes Simba, after the Lion King.

Dinu the water droplet is so great. I can see everything in it.

Some shots of my Holiday lights in the garden...and ornaments.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

December 10, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9354478

I learnt about the Reverse Lens technique using the Canon 550d, from my DD. So tried a few shots with that. First time I was trying it. She has taken a few like that, for fun. It can be really fun and very tough to achieve focus without tripod. I did all hand held and even a tiny movement of our 'swaying' will alter it.

1. This Coromandal Marsh Dart is a tiny damselfly. I went really close to it.
2. Common Emigrant butterfly - look at its mouth - probosces curled in it.
3. Jatropha flower - tiny.
4. A barleria stamen.
5. A housefly.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 10, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #9354894

Sunkissed ... those holiday lights and ornament shots are so much fun! Cool!

Dinu, your water "lens" is pretty cool, too. I've heard about that reverse lens technique, too (I have the same camera), but I'm afraid to try it out!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

December 11, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9355400

Jubilada, why are you afraid to try? It tests your patience. It's crazy too!! Did take a few more today as I'm off from work this week.

1. Weaver ant - they keep moving all the time...it drove me crazy and I went off saying 'heck'!
2. Leucas aspera flower - a part of it is seen - small flower.
3. Gladiolus stamens.
4. A tiny green fly.
5. A jumping spider. I wanted to do much better.. the eyes were looking good in the view finder, but did not end up as I thought!

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 13, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9357571

Dinu, I don't want to accidentally hurt my lens, I guess ...

Well, we had some snow in Palo Alto ... (Yahoo CEO's house all wintered up, for some fancy party, I think) ...

And right next door, one of my favorite statues sporting a Santa Cap ...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

December 14, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9358095

What fun Christmas displays, Jubilada! I had to listen to this after seeing the second one...

http://youtu.be/9RBZz730ibU

I imagine that tree he's lying beside looks mighty nice lit up at night, too!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 14, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9358453

Oh, Miss Mary, thanks for that timely link! (and apropos, too!)

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 16, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9359727

Love the Christmas decor and the white stuff. I remember that hippo.
Interesting photos Dinu...like the green fly especially.

Cute video clip MissMary
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 17, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9361136

Christmas Tree photos ... both on tripod ...
first, ISO 100, f8, 20 seconds, 20mm ... window reflection ...
second, ISO 100, f8, 6 seconds, reverse zoom 270 to 18 mm ...

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

December 17, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9361146

Lovely tree, Jubilada...love the outcome on the second one!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9369842

Before I take down the tree thought I'd give you guys a laugh.
Christopher Walken did this bit on SNL called "Googly-eyed gardener", I shared this with a friend and she sent these "googly eyes" to me for Christmas.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9369906

Great Googly-eyed tree, Domehomedee ... and how cute you've got that garland right under looking like a toothy smile!
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

December 29, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9370064

That is great. Now you just need a Santa hat for the top of the tree.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9370101

You know, your tree reminds me a little of the Stanford Cardinal Mascot (tree) ...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 29, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9370211

From my walk yesterday ...

Brugmansia in my yard ...
Fungi growing on a log from our deceased oak tree ...
Brugmansia in somebody else's yard ... how are they blooming at this time of year?
Pretty wreath on a door
And my favorite shelf of fetishes ...

May we all have a happy new year ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

December 30, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9370408

Love all the tree shots, Dome, the eyes are funny and I agree, now you need a Santa hat.

Jub, my parent's brug is blooming again, it has never bloomed over and over again like this year. Unfortunately I don't have photos of it...but do have a clipping off theirs last spring..so far it is doing great, no blooms yet. Love your tree shots with the dazzling colored lights.

My tree shots...I took a photo with my new camera of my cat with the tree reflection in the window, and then with my old camera my other cat was sleeping on me and I snapped him with the tree in the background.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed         

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 30, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9370480

The tree definately needs a hat.
Jubilada - love the photos, I should take some shots of the mushrooms that have come up in my yard. I have some huge patches of them I need to remove today.
Sunkissed - nice kitty.
Here is what's blooming in my yard today:
1. Lingularia (we call it tractor seat plant)
2. Narcissus (just a little early I'd say)

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee         

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 2, 2013
9:50 AM

Post #9373173

Wonderful kitty-Christmas tree shot (#1), sunkissed! That's absolutely marvelous!

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

January 2, 2013
7:29 PM

Post #9373683

Two snoozy dogs and a Monarch on a "Strawberry Bush". Not sure of the botanical name on that bush. Hard, almost holly-like leaves, and the tiny blooms turn into little strawberry-like berries.

Thumbnail by happytail   Thumbnail by happytail   Thumbnail by happytail      

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2013
5:47 AM

Post #9374962

Hello! I found this forum and thought I'd post a couple of pictures from Kentucky.
This is a piece of driftwood I tryed to get, but it's attached to a very large log and I can move it by myself.
This is a walkway thru the Corp of Engineers garden near my home. It's a great walk in the spring and early summer as the area is full to Trillums, Mayapples and other wonderful plants.

Thumbnail by marti001   Thumbnail by marti001   Thumbnail by marti001   Thumbnail by marti001   

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
8:36 AM

Post #9375121

Welcome, Happytail and Marti001 ... and thanks for sharing your pictures ... we'll look forward to more!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2013
8:53 AM

Post #9375146

Thanks MissMary and Dome. ☺

Dome the flowers are really pretty, our winter has been so mild that things are sprouting much earlier her also.

Happytail, love that little bundled up doggy. Is that monarch in your garden this time of year? I just saw a Monarch cat and have been seeing some butterflies in my garden, hard to believe in the beginning of Jan.

Welcome marti001, like the driftwood photo. Funny...we camp at a Corp of Engineers campground in north GA on Lake Hartwell and I have a driftwood photo that looks just like that from that lake.

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed         

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 4, 2013
9:16 AM

Post #9375176

Sunkissed, couple of great shots ... with your new camera!

Here the Saucer Magnolias are beginning to bloom ... about two months early!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 4, 2013
9:37 AM

Post #9375201

Oh Jub, very pretty, nothing like our magnolias...that first one is very nice against the blue sky.
Yes those photos are with the new camera, the flash went off in the monarch cat but still generated a nice photo of it.

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
12:31 PM

Post #9377306

Sun kissed, the Monarch is at the Ace Garden Center in St. Simons Island, GA, which is where I work. There were several of them, and they were all over those Strawberry Bushes.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 6, 2013
1:24 PM

Post #9377377

Jub - I have the same tree in my front yard and it's dropping leaves and blooming at the same time!
Here is a Winter iris, aristea, and a little succulent blooming.
The aristea has been blooming for months, there are little seedlings coming up around the base.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 7, 2013
8:26 AM

Post #9378023

marti, that wood and the shot is very very good.
DomeHouseLiver [!!] How I wish those blues were in my yard!! Lovely little wooden planters too!

A Great Tit on my watercan this morning.
It will bloom only next year again.
Two days ago there was thick fog in the morning. Sun as seen through the mist.
Tonignt's night sky tryout.
Jatropha flower head, a macro shot.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2013
4:05 PM

Post #9383050

Domehomedee ... so those are winter irises ... we have them here, too, and I was wondering why they were blooming at this time of year!

Dinu, nice sun in the morning mist shot!

Here's a shot of some paperwhites blooming in my community garden plot ...
And the neighbor's walnut tree and some clouds from the other day ...

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2013
7:03 AM

Post #9383493

Hi all...been playing around with my camera, loving this gorgeous weather we're having here, hard to come inside.

Dome I sure like those wooden flower boxes you have the succulents in...got to show to to Mr. sunkissed.

Dinu love the Jatropha shot, mine succumbed after three years of too cold winter temperatures.

Jub, love the tree shot against the clouds and bright blue sky, nice contrast.

This is the first year my hibiscus have bloomed in three years, since we didn't freeze this winter...so far anyway.
Last bit of fall color on my Turkey Oaks...and some mistletoe.
Family of Wrens on my bird feeder
Been working on close ups with new camera, close up of geranium bud.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2013 10:04 AM

Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   Thumbnail by sunkissed   

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9383647

Dinu - I like the little bird shot.
Jub - Great shot of the paperwhites, mine are up too.
Sunkissed - Trees, I like tree photos, I don't know why I never take pictures of mine!

Everyone seems to like my boxes. I built those out of scrap wood from some other project. I thought it would be a good way to separate the cold sensitive succulents out so I can bring them into the entry on nights it's supposed to freeze. They haven't been inside this year yet. It's nice to have the succulents up high enough to see them.

I took my grand-daughter to the beach on New Year's eve.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
7:38 PM

Post #9395488

Sunkissed, looks like you're getting along very well with your new camera! Nice shots. The one of the wrens at the feeder is especially charming!

Domehomedee, great beach shots. Your granddaughter is a real sweetie!

A few from my neck of the woods recently ...
• A very tall, and well-manicured redwood tree
• A happy squirrel
• An interesting house, and the yellow diamond-shaped sign reads "Labradoodle Crossing"
• A rose in January
• Pedestrian Underpass, beneath the railroad tracks and station at California Avenue ... the structure at the top (and an identical structure behind me) is intended to force bicyclists off their steeds to walk them through the passage. Some intrepid sorts have figured out a way around this, much to pedestrians' consternation.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
7:41 PM

Post #9395493

And one more, and this is for Sunkissed, who is a food photographer ... Chickpea Fries with Harissa Aioli (the photo has been cropped) ... they were actually baked, not fried ... and they were yummy!

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2013
11:04 PM

Post #9395581

Jub - That house looks like it should be somewhere in the Italian countryside. Beautiful rose shot, and I always love the wildlife ones.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 24, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9395720

Ahhh California beaches, been awhile. Cute grand daughter.

Jub nice food shot, very good lighting. That tunnel is interesting, and amazing some bikers can still get around that, but I believe it. Beautiful house indeed, and I've seen laberdoodles, they are just the cutest dog ever.

I had to crop the wren photo, the lens that came with my camera doesn't zoom in very close, but was impressed how clear it still was.

I've been playing around in the garden with close ups, still need to work on it but getting there.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
9:27 AM

Post #9396002

Sunkissed - I love that last one, the flower color is so insteresting. Your camera did a good job.
I won't be taking any pictures today, it's raining. I shouldn't complain, we get so little, but I'm behind in cleaning up the yard.
I've decided to take pictures of each area as I clean it up.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2013
10:26 AM

Post #9396116

Sunkissed ... tomatoes, in January??? I'm envious! You're doing great with that new camera! Love the butterfly, and the bees/wasps!

Domehomedee, that's what I'm doing ... taking pictures of areas as I clean them up ... haven't taken a whole lot, as yet. And, it's raining (dribbling) here today, too ... no fun working in the wet!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 26, 2013
8:37 AM

Post #9398072

I made the post, 80% up, but power went off... UPS battery dead. Needs replacement. Am remaking this!! I'll try to type what I did 90 minutes ago!

sunkissed, the same I had here, Flamevine, then the tomatoes, yes, tomatoes, the Pentas which I no longer have and then the Euphorbia in the end. Even the wasp on it is the same here!!! But my favourite picture among them is the bee.

Jubi, yes, tomatoes now. I have a record harvest in my life!! This is the first time I'm seriously growing tomatoes. Just 3-4 plants and I did not know how big it would grow. Pics of tomatoes taken today seen here.

1. Tomatoes.
2. Sky - The blue in the sky is lovely, I enjoy it esp. during these months.
3. Weaver ants dances along against the sun's light... in fact, I chose that angle.
4. The only rose plant I have in a pot is saying "I'm here, take care of me.'"
5. I tried some long exposure shots last night from the balcony when there was a power cut.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9398654

Dinu, not only do you have tomatoes in January, but they are RIPE ... now I am SO envious ... bet they're delicious! Nice weaver ants dance! And very cool moving vehicle light streaks!

We've had some blue sky too, of late ... and here are a couple of shots of the saucer magnolias at the community center against the Palo Alto blue sky!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

January 27, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9398965

Lovely pictures Jubilada. Beautiful flower.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
11:34 AM

Post #9403865

As usually happens this time of year, we're having "false spring" here, with temps in the 70s in the afternoons (very chilly mornings, however) ... I took a walk through Gamble Garden yesterday afternoon ...

Camellia with bee
Favorite Froggy Fountain

happytail

happytail
St. Simon's Island, GA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2013
3:07 PM

Post #9404048

We had a 79 degree day yesterday, and today the high was 57. False spring here too.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9406341

Feb. 1st, the first daffs I've seen in Palo Alto!

Thumbnail by Jubilada

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2013

Post #9410154

Dinu nice crop of tomatoes, my plant that I've been so good at protecting from the frost seems to have a fungus. But the tomatillos and peppers looks great.

Jub lovely shots, I like that deep blue sky dotted with the flowers...very spring!

A bud on my Lion's ear flower...leonotus leonurus (usually frozen back this time of year)
The lion's ear after a week
A squirrel looking down from my oak with a nut in its mouth
honey bee on my purple thai basil flower
Looking down into new leaf on my white bird of paradise plant.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2013 11:31 AM

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9410206

Very nice bunch of photos, Sunkissed! Love the squirrel shot! And the honey bee on the basil is great, too! Nice capture of the vortex swirl on your Bird of Paradise plant ... I'll look forward to seeing a picture of that plant's flowers!
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

February 7, 2013
6:33 AM

Post #9410995

Sunkissed. You have a good eye for pictures. I enjoyed them all.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 7, 2013
9:03 AM

Post #9411117

Bubble reflects the almond tree leaves.
A common Cerulean butterfly.
Infestation on a plant, common at this time of the year.
The sky this evening. I love such shadows and rays of sun.

I see some nice shots above, well done friends!

Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   Thumbnail by Dinu   

bernieh
Townsville
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 9, 2013
1:51 PM

Post #9413342

Hi, I'm new to this thread.

Jubilada, those Daffodils are simply lovely.

Sunkissed I loved those Leonotus shots. That's a new plant for me.

Dinu, that's a great butterfly shot, and the sunset is wonderful.

I'm Downunder in north-east Australia and thought I'd share some shots of a regular garden visitor we have here. It's the Laughing Kookaburra.

Thumbnail by bernieh   Thumbnail by bernieh         

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 9, 2013
3:27 PM

Post #9413417

How about a sunrise in KY.
I took this in Jan near Southwestern High School eith my cell phone

Thumbnail by marti001

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
4:45 PM

Post #9413496

Welcome bernieh ... thanks for sharing those shots of the Laughing Kookaburra ... what a funny little bird! (What's the song? Remember?) That first shot is great!

marti001 ... very spectacular sunrise you captured there!

Dinu, the bubble is intriguing ... the butterfly is lovely ... and oh, my, what a marvelous shot of shadows and sun!

From my neighborhood ...
• An azalea after the rain
• Puddle picture
• Interesting plant, backlit
• Clever house number sign

Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   Thumbnail by Jubilada   

bernieh
Townsville
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 9, 2013
5:46 PM

Post #9413560

[quote="Jubilada"]Welcome bernieh ... thanks for sharing those shots of the Laughing Kookaburra ... what a funny little bird! (What's the song? Remember?) That first shot is great!

marti001 ... very spectacular sunrise you captured there!

Dinu, the bubble is intriguing ... the butterfly is lovely ... and oh, my, what a marvelous shot of shadows and sun!

From my neighborhood ...
• An azalea after the rain
• Puddle picture
• Interesting plant, backlit
• Clever house number sign
[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome Jubilada. It's amazing to me that the song 'Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree' is so well-known around the world. We thought we were the only chidlren who learned that song at school when we were kids.

That rain-splashed Azalea is simply beautiful. I just love the speckles. Great puddle picture too. Do you know what plant that 'interesting plant' is? It's gorgeous.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
6:18 PM

Post #9413595

Laugh Kookaburra, laugh kookaburra . . . gay your life must be!
It is pretty amazing we all know that song. I enjoyed the pictures too, and I recognized him right off, even though I don't think I've ever seen a live one.
I absolutely loved the sunset shots, Dinu and Marti.
Jubi - what great weather we had today, Spring is in the air even though I think we got frost here last night.
Going to have to get my camera out and share some of the early blooms around here. Maybe I can scare up a few birds too, they are going through half a pound of birdseed daily. Yesterday there were six quail on the bird feeder. It was really funny because the feeder really isn't big enough for six quail, they usually just eat the seed off the ground underneath.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
8:09 PM

Post #9413670

Domehomedee ... how lucky you are to still have quail! Twenty-five years ago there were several quail families (coveys, they call them?) in our community garden. How I loved them, and how precious they were ... despite the fact that they devoured all the tender green shoots of lettuce and whatnot that they could get their little beaks on! Sadly, I believe the invasion of crows several years back have contributed to their extinction in my area. Of course, there surely were poachersI sure do miss them!

We've had frost for six weeks straight ... despite the fact that some days the temps get in the 70s! No snow, however!

Bernieh ... I do not know what that plant is, but I'll query the plant forum ...
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2013
9:02 PM

Post #9413752

Update: that "interesting plant" according to information I received from my query to the plant forum, is a "cobra lily" or a Chasmanthe aethiopica.
bernieh
Townsville
Australia
(Zone 11)

February 9, 2013
11:01 PM

Post #9413814

[quote="Jubilada"]Update: that "interesting plant" according to information I received from my query to the plant forum, is a "cobra lily" or a Chasmanthe aethiopica.[/quote]

Thanks for that Jubilada. I'm always on the lookout for terrific looking plants that might suit the conditions here. Having done a little bit of google searching it seems that Chasmanthe is native to South Africa, so there's a chance it might just be suitable here.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 10, 2013
7:02 AM

Post #9414033

Bernieh,
Welcome to this thread and series. Thanks for appreciations. I've bowled with a Kookaburra Cricket Ball! Please post more pictures around you and from Townsville etc. It'd be nice.

Jubi and Dome,
Thanks very much. Jubi, that is really a creative house number! Thoughts of doing such a thing for myself crossed after I saw that.

Marti,
Good shot that!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 18, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9422986

Welcome bernieh, and the Laughing Kookaburra is a pretty cute bird. Look forward to your photos from down under.

marti001 those cell phones sure can capture great photos. I have a very old flip phone, one day I'll venture to a fancy phone.

Dinu, the bubble is just too great...love it. You do have a good eye. Nice sunray shot too.

Jub, the puddle is so perfectly clear, great photo. Very pretty and interesting flower the Cobra Lily, fitting name, and I had to laugh at the tennis ball on the end of the house sign...I'm sure there because someone bumped their noggin on the end before. ☺

Garden buds waking up...Aloe, Gerber, Crown of thorns, Gerber, and Cane Orchid.

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 18, 2013
9:59 AM

Post #9423114

Well gang, time to pass on the bad news. Due to my sister's passing, I will not be able to keep the internet, TV or home phone line. Plus my subscription to Dave's is up in April anyway. Sissy paid half the bills now I have to try and pick up what I can myself. It will be extremely tight for the rest of this year. Sacifice will have to be made and I've budgeted to pay what I can and cancell everything else. Wednesday the 20th will be my last day to have internet at home. I will be able to go to the library once or twice a month, but that depends on serveral things also. I hate to loose all of you, but when things are better next year I will show up again like a bad penny.
Love to you all
Marti
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 18, 2013
7:22 PM

Post #9423767

Marti, sorry to hear of your situation. Hope things get better soon ... and of course, we'll look forward to your return. All the best to you! Be strong and take heart!

Sunkissed, you're getting some good shots with that new camera of yours! Very nice! Love to see those spring things springing out! By the way, I thought the same thing about that tennis ball ... !

• Narcissus in my front yard
• Forget-me-not, photographically a very elusive bloom ...
• A favorite fountain and statuary seen on my walks
• Marvelous acacia tree around the corner ... close to full bloom!

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2013
4:12 PM

Post #9431541

My Dutch Iris is blooming ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

February 26, 2013
6:31 AM

Post #9432090

Dutch Iris are one of my favorites. They remind me of my Grandma and my Mom.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 26, 2013
7:35 AM

Post #9432188

A chopper flew across today.
Nice photographs by you, Jubilada!

Thumbnail by Dinu

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
4:50 PM

Post #9432904

Cool helicopter shot, Dinu!

Here's a pictorial of the sad demise of one of Palo Alto's heritage oak trees (this one a Coast Oak) ... in January a neighboring oak fell over and was removed ... turned out it was diseased and decaying. Examination of this oak tree proved the same result, and it was condemned.

On February 18 (first two photos), it had only been marked for removal ... it was a frigid and overcast day.

Today, bright and sunny, the removal progresses (started on Feb. 22) ... it's always heartbreaking to see one of these beauties go ... but as the City arborist pointed out ... trees do have finite life spans ...

(Two different cameras ... the first two pretty wide angle, different aspect ratio than the last three)

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 26, 2013
6:49 PM

Post #9433038

It's always sad lose a big old oak tree. I have a lot of oak trees on my property and I lost several last year. Bad year for trees.

When I saw that helicopter shot I wondered how much time Dinu spends looking up at the sky, LOL.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 27, 2013
2:02 AM

Post #9433255

Dee, I was there for something else with the cam on the neck. As soon as the sound was heard, I switched it on and lo, there it is! But you are not wrong... when I'm out there, I look at the Black kites and pigeons and mynahs.

Sad the old tree is now gone. But I appreciate the methodical way it is done.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
9:17 AM

Post #9433599

Just teasing you Dinu. Not much goes on in the sky here, except we do get great sunsets with the ocean to the west.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2013
9:49 AM

Post #9433632

Domehomedee ... that's a marvelous sunset shot!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 28, 2013
7:44 AM

Post #9434436

Dee, how far can you step on those rocks? Nice shot.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2013
10:29 AM

Post #9434605

Oh they're slippery if they have any growth on them. Here's another shot of that same stretch of beach.
It's fun to go and look for anemones and hermit crabs. Lots of nice rocks and shells on the beach too.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2013
4:59 PM

Post #9434907

Domehomedee, another swell seashore shot!

I've a fondness for Pink Flamingos, and came across this interesting one during my walk yesterday ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 10, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9445154

Jub, sure do like the bright yellow acacia tree bloom. Too bad about the oak tree, but they chop trees that big here down to expand the roadways...not that is sad.

Dome I remember catching hermit crabs when I lived in Calif. Nice sunset.

Here are some big old live oaks I took while on our camping trip in Micanopy, FL. Hard to tell but they are awesome big.
A horridulum thistle flower, horrid is correct, you don't want to step on one of these thorny things, butterflies liked the flowers.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 10, 2013
9:43 PM

Post #9445368

Sunkissed - Great old trees, and what a strange thistle, it's so flat!
Todays pics: Aeoniums, Sedum palmeri, don't know the latin but ya gotta love daisies,

SingingWolf
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 12, 2013
4:11 AM

Post #9446609

Beautiful photos all, I enjoyed the eye candy immensely.
Thanks for Id'ing that Cobra Lilly, Jubilada. I've got one I don't know where from. Probably at the RU. I planted them a couple of years ago, and was surprised last week by their unusual bloom. It was a very nice surprise!
Keep up the good work all!
WIB~
SW
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9455100

Sunkissed, those are wonderful old live oak trees ... and that thistle is something! Horrific and Horrendous both, but what a bloom, and what a nice butterfly!

Domehomedee, pretty plant pics!

From my walk the other day ...
• a viola
• flowering tree
• an interesting occurrence now and then in the neighborhood ...
• grape hyacinths and candy tuft
• another viola

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 19, 2013
7:20 PM

Post #9455371

Spring is really here Jubilada. I'm sooo glad I have soo many seeds in. My garden should be better than ever this year!
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

March 22, 2013
8:24 AM

Post #9458065

Great pictures Jubilada/ I love the flowering tree and the flamingos look like fun.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 26, 2013

Post #9462455

Dome I've tried to grow that sedum here and it always dies out, guess too humid, but never stops them from selling it around here. Love the yellow flowers it gives.

Jub all great photos, but have to say the grape hyacinths and candy tuft is my favorite.

My Gerbers are coming up again
My kitty and her green eyes, she loves the sunny windows on cold days, heck I do too.
Mocking bird above
Giant Milkweed is blooming

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

March 26, 2013
9:43 AM

Post #9462593

Some scenes from yesterday morning outside my house.
1. Dogwalker - male
2. Dogwalker - female
3. Two young females waiting for their bus. Mobile phone stuck to the ear.
4. Water taken in pots to his push cart selling some food stuff beside our compound.
5. Could not know what that wheel was.

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2013
6:54 PM

Post #9465388

Sunkissed, lovely photos ... but your kitty shot is superb ... you really got the eyes! Wonderful!

Dinu, interesting bunch of "street" photos ... very nice ...

Here are shots of some of the many tulips I came across on my walks today ...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9465390

Also, the wisteria is beginning to bloom all over town ... my neighbors across the street (2 photos), and another a few blocks away ... the tips of the iceberg (so to speak) ...

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 28, 2013
7:35 PM

Post #9465421

Dinu - love the street shots.
Jubilada - I thought the tulips should be blooming, mine aren't. And the wisteria is lovely, it is blooming here too. I lost mine to gophers, little devils.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

March 30, 2013
9:32 AM

Post #9466730

My Scilla peruviana is blooming. It always shows up for Easter. And a few other pictures of my garden.

Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers      

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2013
1:58 PM

Post #9467797

Val - geat Scilla, I don't have that one . . . may have to find some.
I have quite a bit of silver squill and it likes my garden so squills are always worth a try.
Here's whats blooming in my garden.
Crinum
Azalea
Bergenia
Interesting leaf (bloodroot)

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

March 31, 2013
7:42 PM

Post #9468081

Valsflowers, thanks so much for the ID on that Scilla peruviana ... my neighbors have that plant and I love it! Great photos! What a gorgeous garden you have!

Domehomedee, that's one cute rabbit there with the Azalea!

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 1, 2013
3:37 PM

Post #9468999

A few shots this morning ...

• squirrel in a strawberry tree
• rain soaked tulips
• columbine buds
• first artichoke in my garden
• raindrop covered lupine leaves

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

April 3, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9470731

Jubilada, the raindrops on the Lupines are just magical! Lovely shot! What a cute squirrel. Looks like it was posing for you.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 4, 2013
2:38 AM

Post #9471376

Water being added to my pond... I kept the nozzle upward to make it a mini fountain.
Geranium.
That had to be built as the other half of the roof was cut down by the new owner who bought the half from my brother,
A Myna near my pond, looking for termites.
This surprised me yesterday evening. He seemed to be connecting the wires high up on the pole. Did not look like one from the dept.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 7, 2013
4:49 AM

Post #9474374

Dinu, I really like to see the life in the streets of India, the wheel would make a nice interesting garden decor accent. I like the water shot.

Jub, love the tulips and wisteria, neither grow here, well wisteria does in north FL. The shot of the raindrop covered lupine leaves is one that you should enter into a contest...amazing shot.

Dome, nice garden shots, I especially like the rabbit statue, Alice in Wonderland?

Val, you have a lovely garden, I could so pull up a chair and hang for awhile.

I've been pretty busy working in the garden, not many photos. Pretty red Gerber in the garden. Woodpecker eats from the feeder as the blue jay awaits his turn in the bushes. Last two a winter visitor in my garden, yellow myrtle warbler.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 7, 2013
10:24 AM

Post #9474705

I'll try to post street shots sunkissed. Have noted your desire.

I have bird shots today. It's quite warm here. The birds quench their thirst in my birdbath. You will see Mynah sitting on it after a drink and then another mynah, sipping from a puddle in the pavement, then you see a tailorbird drawing cotton from the dispenser I made yesterday, a crow having its fill and a tailorbird on its final drink of the day before retiring to its nest. And I'm taking two showers [cold] a day. The first summer shower came down Friday night but it's already back to hot weather today. It was 37C when it rained. It would be 34 now. 37=98F. 34 would be 93F.

Dinu

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 11, 2013
1:15 PM

Post #9480325

Nice shots of the birds getting their thirst quenched. My two birdbaths are evaporating quickly these past days with the temps climbing to upper 80's, the birds appreciate me filling the baths with water. My rain barrel is almost empty, so hopefully more rain coming soon. We have been fortunate to have two nice weekends of good rain in our dry season.

I really like this one, a green anole in my vine, caught the pink throat fan.
A Carolina Wren inspects the birdhouse

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 11, 2013
10:52 PM

Post #9480893

What great nature shots! I need to get the camera out and catch some "lizard" shots myself. There was a fat black lizard in my greenhouse garden today. One of the cats stalked it for a while with no luck and then one of the little dogs saw it and went crazy trying to catch it. It was a lucky day for the lizard, he has lived to be chased another day. I love the anole, our lizards are not so colorful, but they do get big. I swear one was threatening me the other day.
Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

April 19, 2013
7:55 AM

Post #9489513

I visited my husband In Tyler Texas during the Azalea season. They have an Azalea trail and this seems to be the backyard of a few houses. They let you walk through it.

Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers   Thumbnail by Valsflowers

Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

April 19, 2013
7:58 AM

Post #9489516

All the trees in the area were blooming too. Dogwoods, Redbuds and Magnolias just to name a few.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 19, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9489531

Very nice pictures Valsflowers. The #4 in the first set is really good. In the second, you have a very beautiful view outside the gate - red and pink...

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2013
9:39 AM

Post #9491885

A few shots from the Market, which is 120 years old. Vendors spread their items on the pavement and narrows the 'aisle' too much despite being warned. Took these on Saturday around noon when the sun was at its pinnacle, beating down hot. See all those blue plastic canopies. The pictures are also bluish because of the 'blue light' it filtered. A sparrow if found there. One picture is of the street in front of our house. A vendor selling Palmyrah fruit came by and some passers by bought a few. My DW is also seen choosing the fruit which he peels and gives.

Valsflowers
Litchfield Park, AZ

April 21, 2013
3:17 PM

Post #9492181

Dinu, I love your pictures. It gives us a glimpse into another life.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2013
5:10 AM

Post #9492810

It's always nice to get a look into another's life. I had always hoped to have enough money to travel the world and see everything, meet everyone. Didn't get to do it, BUT I get to meet people on DG and see the great pictures.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 22, 2013
10:13 AM

Post #9493164

Same with me too, Vals and marti. Imagine we are almost on the opposite side of the earth. Today is Mother Earth Day!!!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
10:57 AM

Post #9493210

Sunkissed, that Anole shot is terrific!

Valsflowers, thanks for the pictorial tour of those lovely gardens ... gorgeous flower shots!

Dinu, as usual, your pictorials are intriguing, informative and entertaining!

Happy Earth Day to all!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2013
6:02 PM

Post #9493751

A few shots from my community garden plot ... where spring has surely sprung!

• a beautiful white lined sphynx moth in the poppy bed
• ladybug with a water drop in the bright sun on an artichoke leaf
• first bloom on my volunteer climbing rose
• the lupine!

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 28, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9500235

Val what a lovely place to walk through and see the flowers, the first little cottage house you picture is so . The azaleas are done blooming here in Florida.

Dinu, enjoyed the walk along the pavements of your Saturday market, lots of good looking produce and unique items, I'm afraid I may never get to travel to far off lands as I dreamed I would some day, but agree with marti, that is wonderful to share our different parts of the world in pictures with each other. I was at a street market on Friday over at the beach, I never think to take my camera and photograph them, but will next time.

Jub, love that moth and lupine is so pretty, don't see it around here very much and your ladybug makes my eyes POP.

Came across this broadhead skink while hiking.

Thumbnail by sunkissed

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
11:21 AM

Post #9501316

Sunkissed, nice shot of the broadhead skink! I like the way it separates the log from the vegetation!

Trip to SF on Friday ... walking tour of some of the POPOS in the Financial District (Privately Owned Public Open Spaces). A few things I caught with my little point and shoot ...
• words of wisdom on Post Street
• Crocker Galleria interior
• Flower Stand at Post, Market and Montgomery Streets
• The recently refurbished Hallidie Building (built circa 1917) on Sutter, as seen from the Crocker Galleria Rooftop Garden

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
11:25 AM

Post #9501321

Of course, a few views of the Transamerica Pyramid (view one from the Transamerica Redwood Park, view 2 from the rooftop garden on the 15th floor of 343 Sansome, view 3 from Liedesdorff Alley), and finally the Mariott Hotel (giant juke box) juxtaposed to little St. Patrick's Church as seen from the Yerba Buena Gardens ...

marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9501357

As I am using my nieces computer at her house I don't have anyway to post pictures, but she says she can fix that for me. She's gone to pick up the boys at school.

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
7:05 PM

Post #9501918

Looks like I missed a few posts, great shots everyone.
Here's a few from the Moorten Botanical Garden In Palm Springs.
1. On the trail, 10 foot tall Opuntias.
2. & 3. They call this greenhouse the "World's First Cactarium"
4. Upside down cacti

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
8:00 PM

Post #9501994

Domehomedee ... how are your poppies growing? Mine have just started blooming ... first the volunteers ... the ones I planted will be blooming in a week or so ... here are a few of the first ones ...
• Shirley Poppy with Common Green Capsid (black tailed green plant bug)
• Pink Peony Poppies
• Frilly Heirloom Poppies

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2013
9:39 PM

Post #9502095

I have been so busy I never got the poppies in! In fact I think they were like the last of the seeds in the box and I completely forgot about them.
I even bought some row cover for them so the birds wouldn't eat them. You think I dare try to start them now? Should I start them in the green house so they germinate faster?
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 30, 2013
8:13 AM

Post #9502598

You can try to sow them now, and see what happens ... they need light to germinate, and they hate being transplanted. I just throw the seeds out without covering them and hope for the best. They need even moisture.

MsMaati

MsMaati
Newburgh, IN
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2013
8:32 AM

Post #9502624

Garden update. Things are really popping out. I love this time of year.

Thumbnail by MsMaati   Thumbnail by MsMaati   Thumbnail by MsMaati   Thumbnail by MsMaati   Thumbnail by MsMaati

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

April 30, 2013
11:25 AM

Post #9502834

Gosh Jub, the Transamerica Pyramid is an amazing tower, the first and third photos of the tower are spectacular examples of great composition. You poppies are so pretty, I do remember the poppies.

Dome, I used to live very close to Palm Springs, the Botanical Gardens there are quite different than here in Florida...I find the upside down cactus very interesting, never seen one before your photos.

MsMaati such beautiful photos of spring popping out, glad it has finally arrived there, and I quite agree that it is a wonderful time of the year. What is the white flowering bush?

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 30, 2013
9:20 PM

Post #9503611

Nice recent photos. MsMaati, nice garden that... the stone slabs are beautiful.

Someone get ready to start #146 as this one is reaching 200 which becomes too long to scroll.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2013
3:21 PM

Post #9507072

I have started a new thread for Daily Pics: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1310721/

Dinu, you can always click on "Skip to New" at the top of the thread to get to the latest post, rather than scroll through them all. Did you know that?

Anyhow, see you all at the new thread!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 6, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9510350

Thank you Jubi. How did you read my mind? I did not know that at all.. I had to scroll up again to see where it was and back again here to respond. Ok, sure will go there.. learnt a new thing today!

Once again, very nice pictures in this set, which came in intermittently. More waiting in the next part... goin' there!

Dinu
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2013
10:20 AM

Post #9510520

And, Dinu, when you're at the bottom of a thread, there's a place that says "Back to the top of this thread" ... and there you are, bingo!

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

May 7, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9511746

And it is big bingo.. I still can't understand this magic... how these had escaped my attention! Thanks Jubi. I'll be using these two more often and remember how I learnt!! :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the photo forum! dave 34 May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
My tractor and I, Part II dave 52 Sep 27, 2009 7:18 PM
Spring Spring! and my bowling ball! nicole_in_nc 6 Apr 21, 2010 3:35 PM
Riesentraube tomatoes dave 4 Feb 9, 2008 3:25 AM
It's a Bird...It's a Plane....It's Superdave! gardenwife 27 Nov 18, 2007 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America