Photo by Melody

Tomatoes: So looking forward to trying The New Dwarf Varieties.

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 11, Views: 76
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9303269

My seeds from Heritage Tomato seeds came today. I did order AMAZON CHOCOLATE but mostly I ordered varieties from The New Dwarf Projects. Originally I had planned to order four of the ones prior relesed that they showed on the Heritage Website, DWARF MR SNOW, SUMMERTIME GOLD, ROSELLA PURPLE and TASMANIAN CHOCOLATE. Well, I did order them but when I went to look the site was updated with more New Dwarf Project varieties, newer ones I guess. So I just just could NOT resist also ordering PERTH PRIDE. Well, much to my happy surprise when the seeds arived today I also have IDITAROD RED which is marked as a free gift. I am really impressed, I have not gotten extra gift seeds from any of the other places that I ordered tomato seeds.

So comments on any of these that I will be growing next spring welcome. Not that I know that much about the dwarf varieties in general but know hardly anything about those two new releases. I do know the basic history of The New Dwarf Project as I have read it on their website. And I think this entire project and The New Dwarf varieties is a fantastic thing. I can't wait to do my own garden taste tests.

I have never grown a yellow tomato before which is why I choose to go with those two yellow varieties. They both sounded good, I couldn't chooze between them so decided the best way was to actually try out both for myself. And this year I have a plant of CHEROKEE PURPLE in my garden and since I have read that ROSELLA PURPLE is a smaller version, I will be having ROSELLA PURPLE and not CHEROKEE PURPLE next year.

Can't wait for next season!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9303321

rita, I'm with you- I am so ready for next year! About Dwarfs- I grew New Big Dwarf last year and it was the best of all my tomatoes- but this year, after poor germination, I only had one plant, and it was very disappointing. So we just have to keep trying and hope for the best. I wlll definitely grow it next year again.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9303495

I'll be trying Tasmanian Chocolate and Iditatrod (not sure if that's the right spelling). Who know, I might order more of the dwarfs although I have so many other varieties I'm going to have my hands full. I think I have another dwarf as well. Really can't wait to get started!
Sharon

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9303501

Maybe lots more of us here at the forum will be growing some of those New Dwarf Varieties and then we can all compair notes.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9303514

That would be great! It's a great project. I was considering volunteering for it, but I think I need a few years of starting seeds first.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

October 12, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9303528

I don't have enough room to grow out any of the non stable varieties. Would much rather wait and deal with the ones that are released already. I am sure that in future years there will be lots more to come.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9304080

I have to agree I grew dwarfs,for the first time this year and I luv them.
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

October 13, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9304112

I think you will enjoy them. I have previously grown Tasmanian Chocolate, Rosella Purple, Dwarf Beryl Beauty and New Big Dwarf and think they are outstanding. I am so happy that container gardener and small space gardeners have such wonderful full size tomatoes to grow now. This was my first summer for growing Summertime Gold and think it is a great addition. That plant was so loaded with tomatoes the branches started breaking. The flavor was great also. I will have to look through the forums on the various lines undergoing stabilization, because I don't think I've seen an orange variety. I would like to add one of these to my collection.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9304405

You can google tomato dwarf project and it will tell you what's out there now and what's stabilized.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

October 14, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9304771

Craig LeHoullier, the North Amercican coodinator of the project sent me the following plants the year before they were released so I could check for stability so at that time I grew;

Summertime Gold
Summertime Green
Wild Fred
Sweet Sue

... and I can't think of the 5th one now, would have to access mt data book, and I loved every one of them, especially the first two. But since my mission since I fell and landed up in this walker forever, is to grow varieties new to all or most I haven't had the room to grow many dwarfs.

But this year Craig sent up some extra plants for Laura, the Inn Keeper where I had housed Craig and his wife Sue, when they hand delivered my plants to me last year. But Laura had no room so I was able to get adoption papers for Galina's Yellow, which I'd grown years ago, and another two, but kept Iditirod and Dwarf Beryl Beauty, but in a horrible season got nothing off of them which was true for all of my 40 plants except four.

It's a good thing that Craig and I have been best friends for about 23 years now, b/c I know if I ask for seeds of this one or that one, he'll just send them to me.

Carolyn

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9304793

Carolyn, I can't even immagine all the knowledge you have about tomato varieties and tomarto breeding. Plus you are always willing to answer questions and help out newcommers. I know it must get tiring to answer questions that get asked over and over again, but you are always here with some helpful advice or tomato lore history. You know I don't always take your advice but I do thank you for your time and efforts and for careing enough to be here. I figgure you must have A LOT of patience as well as a good heart! :-))

Personally, no expert here, but I think this Dwarf Tomato Project is the best thing to come along since apple pie and ice cream. Wonderful new varieties comming out with no end in sight so I figgure there should be something to suit everyones needs in this project.
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9305001

I agree! I am so excited to have some of the dwarfs! It's wonderful. Like I said, I am sure I might order more seeds, because they are all so tempting!
Sharon

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America