Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Florida Gardening: ID Please

Communities > Forums > Florida Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Florida GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
floridagardner
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9303478

Can someone please tell me what this plant is. I've been left to care for it while friends are on vacation. As you can guess, I'm terrified that something will happen to it while in my care. I've no knowledge of this plant or what it is. Help!!!! Thanks.

Thumbnail by floridagardner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 12, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9303512

Thats an angel wing begonia. Its crying for a bigger pot and a trim, otherwise its healthy and I dont think you are going to hurt it. I would say dont overwater, but with it being that pot bound it wont hold the water anyway. They like some shade.
floridagardner
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9304218

Thanks Gardenglory. Really appreciate the advise. When you say a trim... should I cut off the leggy growth. I have a larger pot to put it in. Or, would you suggest I just leave it alone until the friends return. They will be gone for about 6 months. What you think???
gardenglory
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9304238

6 months, take it out. This is a perfect time of the year too. They root really easy , so just put the stems you cut off in water, in no time you will have many plants to pot. You might find it doest need repotting after cutting back, just pull it up a bit and you can see if its root bound.
floridagardner
Palm Coast, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9305057

Thanks Gardenglory. I'll muster up the courage to do it. There is some new growth at the bottom so that's a good sign. Thank you for the advice.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9305221

ditto to gardenglory, and this way you can have one for yourself! Without doing harm, and as a matter of fact, doing good! for this plant!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Florida Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Florida Gardening Magazine - does anyone here subscribe? JaxFlaGardener 58 Apr 16, 2013 7:48 PM
Native Plant (wanted) Botanyguy 16 Jun 6, 2008 6:20 PM
Duranta budgielover 26 Jul 21, 2008 10:36 PM
Jeremy's Mystery sugarweed 11 Jun 12, 2011 9:23 PM
Do Tall Bearded Iris grow in Florida? JaxFlaGardener 67 Jun 20, 2008 6:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America