-
AuthorContent
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 13, 2012
1:04 AM

Post #9303706

I was shopping at the local supermarket when I saw a wide variety of beautiful succulents all potted in single pots without drainage holes.
Is it a poor idea to purchase these plants potted up this way?
Would a north east window provide too little light? In the summer they could be moved to the sunporch with more light but it gets down to 40 degrees in the winter.
I have a shelf I could clear for a small collection in northeast light, all areas with southwest light have a heating unit directly underneath except
the bathroom which would have more humidity.
As a novice I would like to hear your expert opinion on whether to proceed with this purchase or to choose other plants for my growing conditions.
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9303994

If the price is right and you like them, go for it. You can always do what you desire to them when you get them home. Maybe you can find something else to go with them that would fit your environmental conditions. Luciee {;^)

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

October 13, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9304027

If the plants are healthy, get them out of the pots without holes right away and there should be no problem. I have some succulents in a NE window and they do okay with the morning sun they get, mostly in the summer months because of obstructions outside. Moving the succulents to the porch in the summer is probably a good idea, it gives you some leeway for lower light during the rest of the year. A heater below the windows is going to affect how fast they dry out, mainly, and you'll have to keep an eye on that until you get a good idea of how it works.
Cassandra78
Bryan, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9304337

If the price is right I'd get them! I recently hit the clearance section of my local nursery and I had my husband drill hole where there were none :)

~Cass
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 14, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9305194

Thanks for responding and helping me decide what to do.
I didn't get back to the store where I originally saw the succulents but at a sister store I found a small Crassula Ovata and an Aloe plant
in pots with drainage holes. The finger or spoon jade is very interesting to look at.
I'll try to get back to the original store soon to get a few more plants.
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2012
3:58 AM

Post #9311031

I'm a little unsure of how to water the Crassula ovata and Aloe.
The instructions say to let dry between waterings.
How long should the soil be dry? a day a, week?
They are in very small pots and I decided to put them in the sunnier window with the heating unit underneath
because it will be warmer then the other windows in the winter.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

October 21, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9311268

They don't have to be dry for more than a day or two. I water my indoor succulents every week or so if the pot is small (less than 4 inches) and every 2-3 weeks for larger pots. Unglazed clay pots will demand more frequent attention than glazed or plastic ones. It's pretty hard to kill a jade plant, so don't worry too much about getting the conditions perfect.
sempervirens
Northern, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9313150

Thanks for the information Baja.
cactusloverlady
Menasha, WI

October 25, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9314990

You can also keep in mind the fact that winter is usually a lower light time of year anyway for me and you where we live. A lot of succulent tend to go dormant or rest at that time of year. That also plays a part in your care routine. Good luck finding plants,it's a lot of fun. cll

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America