Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Bird Identification: Goshawk?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 2, Views: 36
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DMersh
Perth
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2012
2:50 AM

Post #9303727

Saw this bird in the garden last August in Scotland, it had just devoured one of the small garden birds and was being harrassed by two magpies who seemed to object to its presence. Seemed to be a goshawk as far as I could tell looking at pictures of the sort of raptors found around here but i'm no expert. The pictures aren't great as they had to be enlarged a lot and two were taken through binoculars.

Thumbnail by DMersh   Thumbnail by DMersh   Thumbnail by DMersh
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9304066

Sorry, just a Sparrowhawk ;-)

Gos would be HUGE compared to those Magpies: Magpie is 40-50 cm long, Gos is 50-65 cm long with a proportionally much shorter tail. Or put another way, a male Gos weighs as much as 4 Magpies, and a female Gos weighs 8 Magpies.

Resin
DMersh
Perth
United Kingdom
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9304113

Thanks, It eventually flew off but didn't seem too bothered by the magpies, I'd guess crows would be more of a threat to the sparrowhawk. I see lots of big prey birds high above out on walks around here but they're too high to make an ID possible, like here:

Thumbnail by DMersh
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America