-
AuthorContent
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9303787

The few surprise blooms are a joy at this time of year so let's continue showing photos, asking questions and hopefully getting answers. All are welcome to join us, even those who just lurk.

We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273123/

Anna - please post your most recent photos again so we can be sure everyone sees them. Thanks.

Here are a few photos I took yesterday:

1. Ernest Markham
2. A fuzzy shot of Lemon Chiffon. Someday, with a lot of luck, mine will look like Kimmy_cocopuff's!
3. Fireworks. Earwigs are back on this one so time for some control there.
4. Candida! I chopped her back and now she's in bloom without earwig damage.

Still waiting to see if Reiman will give the same fall performance as last year when it was so glorious.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

October 13, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9303877

Earnest is really loving this weather! Love Lemon Chiffon...might have to get one in the spring...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9303904

Yesterday I cut back a lot of Liberation and Henryi. If I could have taken the cold and the wind I'd have cut them back to a foot tall.

Saw one more bud and don't know if it belongs to Henryi or an old Anna Louise. Time will tell.

A neighbor kindly took all the firewood we had stashed in a hoop in the dog's pen, which the dog prefers not to use, so now it has become my garden room and I love it. At the top of the wood pile I had a few strong branches and decided to wire one to the fence so this clematis would have something to climb. I hope it works.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl         

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

October 13, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9304124

Looks like a wonderful spot...
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9304143

Sometimes clems have their own ideas. I hope it takes your suggestion. Earnest M is really blooming well!
I had to "pose" them but this is Romantika and Star of India.
Second pic is Nelly and Ramona
M Julia Correvon going strong
Margaret Hunt is another reliable bloomer.

Thumbnail by bananna18   Thumbnail by bananna18   Thumbnail by bananna18   Thumbnail by bananna18   

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9304220

Marilyn - it's a mostly sunny spot but it does get afternoon shade.

Anna - The color on Romantika & Star of India is so rich. Nelly and Ramona look like they share some genes, don't they? Your Madame Julia is a far cry from the bare stems on mine - do you want to trade? Margaret Hunt is one ClematisGuru had loved and I can see why she loved it. Any clem that blooms in October earns a few extra points on my scale.
bananna18
Colleyville, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 13, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9304242

You have a good memory about ClemGuru. I was hoping Margaret Hunt would do well in a hot climate as in Ohio. Maybe M JC is more of a hot weather clem...I know you wouldn't want live down here no matter what!

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9304276

Today I jumped back into clematis fever. Haven't had any for a few years because of moving too many times. Only had a few in the past, mostly Jackami because purple is my favorite color. Today I planted a Nellie Moser and a Dr. Ruppel side by side. Have two identical trelises that I will let them grow on. From what I read, they should both be happy in half day sun in hot Texas. I hope that is correct.

Got these two from Brushwood Nurseries and they came in beautiful and healthy looking (about 18" tall.) I am going to try my best to keep them at 24" as I have read suggested all of next summer. It is so hard for me to cut a growing plant, but I have learned that it pays off later.

Love reading this forum.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9304374

ClematisGuru had a lot of good points but she also had lots of hired help and that does make a difference.

I had to Google Colleyville, Texas. Back in 2003 we spent two weeks in Texas - the worst weather (they told us) they ever had in Austin to San Marcos to San Antonio and the surrounding areas. We loved the scenery but the days with icy rain, endless car crashes and backed up traffic (as we watched on TV reports) wasn't too thrilling. The people were warm, welcoming and very hospitable. The food was wonderful and we really enjoyed the German towns as well as the real BBQ.
Our favorite spot of all was Luckenbach, TX. No sightings of Waylon, Willie and the boys!

So glad to have you with us Bezziec! Well, you're only 17 miles from Austin so you might have been to the Bob Bullock Museum. We really enjoyed it. The duck ride was way too (freezing) cold for me!

You selected the right company, Brushwood, and some lovely clematises to start anew. You must have the utmost in willpower to keep them down to 24" the first year. I admire that trait but it's not one I've developed (or even tried to develop). Nelly enjoys some shade even up here while Dr. Ruppel was a stellar performer this year with almost endless blooms. The color is SO vibrant!

Glad you enjoy reading the Clematis Forum.

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 13, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9304385

Pirl, thanks for the welcome Actually now the NE corner of Austin is less than 2 miles from my house. We were visiting our daughter in Austin in that 2003 ice storm. And we were here in a 37 foot motor home. With the Texans not knowing how to drive on ice, we just kept it parked!!

My next door neighbor and I are trying to fill up the space between our houses with something besides grass,thus the two clematis and many other plants. There's a joke here that we mow for the last time on December 31st and start again on January 1st and it's not too far from wrong. The less grass and the more flowers the better.

Got the info about Brushwood from this forum. Since my two local nurseries were out of clematis I took a chance and ordered,. Very pleased that I did so that they can develop roots this fall and winter.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 13, 2012
8:02 PM

Post #9304394

I'm so relieved that someone else remembers that awful storm! Guard rails were down all along I35. What a nightmare. We walked to dinner and back - same for breakfast and lunch. You were wise to keep it parked and not try driving for a few days.

When we used to visit my husband's now late sister, in Florida, they teased that for the two February weeks we were in Florida it was their winter so they didn't have to mow!

What else are you growing in the strip between the houses? Do you grow some native wildflowers? We visited the Wildseed company in Fredericksville while we were there. Do you grow any Bluebonnets?

Here we get lupines that bloom at the same time as the clem's do. There's a Blue Moon and another Dr. Ruppel on the right side of the obelisk (hard to see, I know).

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 14, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9305117

Pirl, it's quite a list. We have crepe myrtles and Texas bluebonnets already growing next to my neighbors house. Of course the bluebonnets only bloom for about 3 weeks in the early spring and then die down. We have both been in overdrive and my husband volunteered to help with the heavy work, so we got a lot done in a short time. We planted: 2 coral honeysuckle, Vitex (Texas lilac), Blue Butterfly Pea vine, Clerodemdrum Butterfly Blue, Esperanza, Pink/yellow lantana (a Texas native that is dispersed liberally by the birds), Red/yellow lantana, Pink Autumn Sage, Autumn Joy Sedum, Purple Coneflowers, Shasta Daisies, rudebecia, a pink French rose, Zepherin Douchin rose, Golden Showers rose, Dr. Ruppel, Nellie Moser, yellow mums, Stella de Oro Daylillies, and Giant Lirope. It is our intention to attract butterflies and hummers. More plants to follow as soon as I can get some more grass dug out!!! One day this week, I will post some pictures on the Texas Gardening Forum under a heading saying something about shared flower bed with neighbor if you want to look. You will notice a spigot coming through the fence. It looks a bit odd, but my DH installed 4 rainwater barrels behind the fence for us to use.

Your pictures are beautiful. Do you have as big a yard as it appears? I never met a flower I didn't like so will continue to plant.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9305207

I'd love to see photos, bezziec, so please post a link here so we can all enjoy the hard work that went into your project. We have Crape Myrtles, too, and I just love them. All your other plants are so colorful. It's bound to look magical.

My best plant this year for the hummers was Wendy's Wish salvia. I took a few cuttings yesterday to see if I could start new plants. I never expected them to get so huge but it's fine with me.

We have less than an acre but more than I can handle at 71 so we'll be deleting one entire garden (hopefully) this fall.

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9305907

Nice clematis just received from Brushwood Nurseries. Dr. Ruppel on the right and Nellie Moser on the left. Trellises to be placed soon.

Thumbnail by bezziec

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9305957

This is the link to the flower bed that Pirl and I have been discussing and that my neighbor and I are sharing.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1284760/

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

October 15, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9306111

How exciting to be planning a new garden!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9306126

Great clematises from Brushwood, bezziec.

What a nice layout on your new joint garden with your neighbor. You'll have spring long before we will so post new links as you post spring photos. You can even post some here on the Clematis Forum since we all garden and love seeing what other people do.
KimmyCoCoPop
Taylorsville, KY

October 16, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9306847

What a nice fall clem thread...welcome bezziec--love what you have planned there and look forward to progress. ROBINDOG, I love my Lemon Chiffon and I hope to be able to post pictures one day...I don't have a pc at home but would love to contribute so I'm hoping to do that soon. I love the foliage on it and it takes some shade. That's why I originally bought it as it's in a shaded area.

As always, pirl, your pictures are inspiring...kim
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9306942

Thanks, Kim. I hope Santa brings you that PC so we can all enjoy your photos.

Just heard about Mrs. Robert Brydon clematis. Does anyone have it and, if so, pictures would be great along with any comments about it. Some places say it's more of a ground cover taking up 8 to 10 square feet while one person I know said it forms a waterfall effect. That's something I'd really enjoy seeing. I was told it blooms all summer.

http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/non-vining-clematis-5/clematis-mrs-robert-brydon-149.html

http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1143&bih=579&q=clematis mrs. robert brydon&oq=clematis Mrs. R&gs_l=img.1.0.0i24.2125.6140.0.10234.15.14.0.1.1.0.297.1642.2j5j3.10.0...0.0...1ac.1.a0e2hfZdk-w

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

October 16, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9307208

Thanks for the info, Kim...I can use another clem that likes some shade...Pirl, that's a beautiful clem!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 16, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9307348

hi pirl...have a question ref. Theresa Bugnet Rose...How big (ht x w), how long does it take to attain, is it truely fragrant, is it a thug or nicely behaved, suckers...? I have 2 ready to be planted in the backyard in the next few days...was considering close to the house, next to a bathroom window hoping it might hide or should I say diguise (maybe not the right word, lol) the window, it will be close to the patio area and thought it might be nice and add a bit of privacy...Ideas please...Thanks, Kathy
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9307427

I just chopped off the top on mine. It was over 6' tall. The scent always reminds me of the rugosa roses on Cape Cod at the National Seashore, in June. While I don't recall exactly how long it took to get that tall, I'd guess two years. Mine is now much older but it still benefits from chopping back. I don't get suckers though I had been warned I would.

You'd want an area with a lot of air circulation to spread the fragrance and help with any mildew issues, if you get mildew on any plants. How sunny is the spot?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 17, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9308212

It would be in full sun til late in the day...do you deadhead it or is it slf deadheading? Just love the color too.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #9308354

If I'm passing by it I will deadhead it. Otherwise it's nice at self-cleaning.

You'll do fine with it in the location you described. One whiff and you'll want more.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9308438

Bezzie - did you see this article today?
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2283/

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9308685

No, Pirl, I didn't. I was so busy digging out more St. Augustine grass today that I didn't spend much time on the computer. I have cut this to my garden folder for further reference. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I am preparing another small bed that I want to plant in red, white, and blue for next spring. I think it probably doesn't grow in your zone, but there is a plumbago that is sooooo blue. I have to have some!!!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9308704

I love plumbago. It grows here but at the local nursery. I haven't yet bought it though I see it every year.

Have fun with the red, white and blue garden. Projects like that do take on a life of their own.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 18, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9309175

When will be a good time to transplant my clems? I have to move a couple.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9309215

They are heading into dormancy now so anytime is good. Just remember they do need a few drinks of water before they sleep for the winter so don't ignore them after you move them.
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9310215

The flowers are so beautiful. I planted 6 new ones this year and I am hoping to be able to post some fabulous blooms next year.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 19, 2012
10:48 PM

Post #9310243

Cut back most of my clems about a week ago, am trying to root them, fingers are crossed. filled 1 tray with scads of cuttings. Now I have one more tray to get cuttings for, see pix below, this beauty is coming home with me if I have time yet this year. I believe it's The President.

Pirl..thanks for the info on the rose, hopefully begin planting this weekend in the back, tho the area where the roses will go is still untilled.

Some other shrubs that will be planted in the next few days: Viburnum opulus (snowball), Viburnum plicatum x tomentosa (Doublefile), Hydrangea quecifolia Oakleaf. Any input would be welcomed!!!!!! Need to finish some more of my plans so planting can begin. Thanks...Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9310376

Good luck with the rooting. Layering works best for me.

Kathy - the color of The President is a deeper blue. Here's Brushwood's page on it.
http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/search/results.html?search_in_description=1&ignore_special_flag=1&keyword=The President

It's on sale at Brushwood for $10.02. That's a fantastic price. This is my photo of it.

Are you sure of the name of the photo you posted? It might be H.F. Young/HF Young. Here's the entire Google page of HF Young photos so you can see the vast differences in color. http://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=858&bih=570&q=clematis hf young&oq=clematis HF Young&gs_l=img.1.0.0i24l2.7063.12985.0.14985.17.8.0.9.9.0.94.704.8.8.0...0.0...1ac.1.8fYuptP-yg4

This is PlantFiles page on HF Young: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/74961/

I have had viburnum 'Opulus' for over a year, in a pot, waiting for the ideal spot. With luck it will be planted before winter.

Thumbnail by pirl

hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

October 20, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9310444

Hi Just thought I would jump in. I'm in zone 5b. I have a friend with oakleaf hydrangea and she has had great luck, me not so much. I tried and they either didn't make it or I never got flowers. Definitely protect it, that much I have been told.
I have a clematis aljonushka - it's not a climber, but it is the most healthy and prolific thing I have ever seen. Tons of flowers all summer. I even cut it down this year because my supports couldn't hold it and it still came back and is still blooming in spite of the fact that we've had some cold nights. I would recommend it. Mine is in a fairly exposed area and it does well in sun or part shade. Another clematis - Arrabella - amazing. and it also does well in part shade.
As far as roses go, well mine were devastated by the japanese rose beetle! gross!
Thanks Sharon
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9310451

Welcome, Sharon. Thanks for the information on both clematises. We're always looking for those that perform well under many conditions. Our neighbor has an oakleaf and it totally obscures her path so I'd give it a lot of room.

Any photos, Sharon?
hugobee
Montreal, QC
(Zone 5b)

October 20, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9310733

I'm so untechie...I would love to give photos - next year for sure. I have a few clematis that have given me pleasure when they perform - Multiblue is one. But from my experience, this one definitely does not do well in full blazing sun. It really needs its roots to be shaded. I had one die on me even though I had planted something in front of it. Too hot.
I must say I do love hydrangeas. Guess I should go to that thread!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9310842

At some point in time I'd bet most of us were untechie, Sharon.

You can be on as many forums as you wish so hang around and maybe you'll see something else you like and can add to your garden.

Today I intended to cut back Henryi because I don't like the blackened leaves. Lo and behold there are many buds at each leaf axil so all I cut back was anything that looked dead, without buds.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 20, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9310960

Yup pirl looks like HFYoung, will look to see if the tag is still there, I do remember having bought one years ago, origionally had planted 2 different ones at her house and one didn't make it...thanks for the Id, knew if I was wrong you'ld correct me...lol...I also layered this one last summer will have to look and see if it took. I just love googling plants...the pix are usually outstanding but one must realize there are others mixed in. I googled the above plants and and found great pix but personal info is the greatest!!!!!!! Ya, I thought that some of the info on the above plants was rather small from what I remember. A couple of other vibs that I would love are V carlessii and V. davidii, both are extemely fragrant...yummmm, but the prices hold me back, lol...tooooo many wonderful plants!!!!!!!

Pix.. got 3 of these (Passiflora carulea, passion flower vine, which is also edible), this spring and never got them planted so inside they went, snug for the winter.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
6:06 AM

Post #9311090

My apologies if my reply came across as a correction. I didn't want you to expect light blue if it's a dark blue/purple plant.

Google is good and it is fun but the warning bell should go off when we see so many different colors. It's always wise to investigate and check out the color at Brushwood, Garden Crossings, Silver Star Vinery or COTW.

One nursery here seems to sell overstocked plants from two sources and she has magnificent shrubs at $10. - that makes it too hard to resist.

That passiflora is gorgeous. I kept one inside one winter but had it with the Jade plants and it didn't get the watering it needed - bye, bye passiflora!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

October 21, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #9311343

I have one I planted against my garage...it's very tall, but not one flower...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9311571

Which one, Marilyn? The only non-bloomer I have is Helsingborg - not a single bloom ever.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 21, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9311671

oh pirl not a problem silly...was making a joke, you're the clem guru...

Was thinking of planting the oakleaf on the north side of the house, will have to measure tomorrw to see if there's room tho...

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9311680

How pretty!

My neighbor's oakleaf is on the northeast side. If she had just left a lot more room it would have been ideal.

I'm not a Guru, Kathy, just a clematis lover who has made my own share of mistakes.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

October 22, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9312011

Pirl, my passiflora was bought from Logee's...it's supposed to have a sky-blue flower, hardy to zone 6...well, I'm really a 5, but I thought it would live in a southern exposure...which it has...just not producing blooms!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9312065

That's so frustrating. This past summer our two Mandevilla vines didn't vine at all. I'll never buy the red ones again, only the pink with leathery leaves as someone here at DG said to do.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

October 22, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #9312311

Any experience with the white ones?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9312373

I never even knew there were white ones! I've only seen pink or white.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 22, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9312748

Robin...mulch your plant and put it where it can get winter sun (sunny side of the house or mulch good)...I lived in a zone 5 at 3500ft and it overwintered just fine but does die to the ground...am thinking it didn't make it thru the 2nd winter or I moved, (lol, can't remember)...

I had 1 here where I live now but at an altitude od 6800ft which is 45 miles west (and closer to the 'Rockies') of the other garden but is a zone 6a, (figure that one out, lol)...I didn't mulch the one here and didn't make it but I bought 3 this spring...Got it from a local Denver nursery, a small family owed nursery, they just take cuttings from their own plant and root them...was less than $3.00...Their perenns and annuals come in 12 packs for $3.29, small but the price is right...lol.

But pirl...lol, that's how we become experts...

pix: Veronica austriaca, a spring bloomer only but a beauty!

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9312835

I find the red ones do not vine as well as the large leaf pink ones, Mine red did not start going up till this fall. I think they would be better kept trimmed back and use a a large flowering plant. The large leaf pink ones, WOW, They vine so well here. That will be my purchase next year.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

October 23, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9312864

Kathy, that veronica is gorgeous! I'll have to look for it...My passiflora survives the winter fine...it just has never bloomed...maybe I need a different fertilizer...I just use Shake & Feed on it...
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 23, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9313479

Well I got Duchess of Albany moved away from Jacknami. I had to cut her away from Jack so I hope she does ok now. I still have another to move. I should get to that this Thursday. Roses got moved and the front bed cleaned . If I could only get rid of the wild african violets. They are every where no matter how much I pull them.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9313482

Duchess of Albany has to get cut back hard anyhow so you did the right thing to free her from Jackmanii.

Those wild violets self-seed too fast. They are very hard to eradicate. Even if you use a killer the seedlings will still grow. It's something you have to stalk most of the year, armed with a reliable killer.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9315202

I have found my Sunset with 4 new bloomes saying goodbuy for this year, she has been a best bloomer this year.

Been so busy for last two weeks, this weekend I will have 4 days of, so will tend to the garden. Right now I am listening to Kate Smith Cd that I bought .
When I feel down about this country, I will listen to her "God bless America" and blast it so my neighbors can hear it. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9315444

Kate Smith performed that song so beautifully and raised more money for our country by singing it than any other performer at the time.

Glad your Sunset was such a good bloomer for you, Etelka.

You never told us about the party the church gave you for your 20 years of service!
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9315466

Thank you Pirl, for asking, It went well, I attended church with them that moring, and when they called me out to the front, I got nervous and just said a few words. The preacher said that was the frist time that he heard me with only few words. After that we had lunch , pot luck, it was about 120 in attendence, and again when they presented me with my bonus, I could only mumble some thank you, that I enjoyed every minute of it, that I am a few of the employees that enjoyes her job,. I remember I always wanted to join the Toastmasters, to learn how to speak in front of lots of people. The bonus will come handy, my brother is comming to see me on Nov. 11, after the Judo compaticion in Miami. It is still nice weather here, this weekend will be great, I hope you Pirl will not be affected by the hurican, it is soppose to affect NJ. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 25, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9315479

The number one fear is public speaking, Etelka, so I can understand why you only said a few words but I'm sure they all knew you'd enjoy the bonus. You'll be thrilled to have your brother with you!

I'm trying my best to get done with my major jobs now and hope the storm doesn't hit us.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

October 26, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9315876

Same here!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9321032

Waiting for pirl to check in, I read that someone tried to call her but apparently is without power. Hope she and hubby are safe.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9321057

She may have had to evacuate, Southold Town Supervisor Ordered Mandatory Evacuations:
http://northfork.patch.com/articles/southold-town-supervisor-orders-mandatory-evacuations

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

October 31, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9321383

Someone from Alaska said they contacted her...
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

October 31, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9321452

the last thing I red from her was that she is not evacuating because they wont let her take the dog. She said she will be moving up to the attic. She is tougher then I am, I would of been pool side in Ga somewhere by now. My prayers are with them. Etelka

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

November 1, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9321882

No one on Long Island had power, trees were blocking the roads...my stepdaughter & her husband are coming to CT if they can't find a hotel to stay in...
KimmyCoCoPop
Taylorsville, KY

November 1, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9322080

Just checking in on pirl too...= ( I know it's bad there so I'm hoping all is ok as can be...kim

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 1, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9322089

I too checking in for I'm concern about Arlene. I'm saddened to learn there were such destruction to so many people there in the Northeastern regions, and the hardship that they continue to endure for days/weeks to come. Prayers are up, positive thought sent. I need to get myself together and reach out to the American Red Cross to offer donation for people in needs. Won't y'all join me in this walk. Whatever we can donate will help.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

November 1, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9322230

Thanks, all...so lucky my town was spared this time...
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 1, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9322356

South Jersey on the shores were not spared. Many lost homes and many have so much damage. I am more inland so all we got was a lot of wind and rain. No damage.

I work 30 mins north of Atlantic City, and an hour north of the Wild Wood beach's.

So many of our customers from that area are without power, are flooded or can not get to the homes they had to evacuate. They are not even sure they have a home left.

I hope Arlene is ok and she was spared the horrors that affect these people down here.

KimmyCoCoPop
Taylorsville, KY

November 2, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9322569

Friday: Checking in again...I keep trying to NOT imagine the worse for Arlene and I hope that no news is good news...that it's only that they've been without power. I can't imagine them coming through unscathed though so I hope no major damage. Like sooo many. Good suggestion on reaching out the Red Cross...I will do that today. So many lost so much and I'm not even sure the destruction has been fully realized yet. kim
KimmyCoCoPop
Taylorsville, KY

November 2, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #9322573

PS--ROBINDOG--so glad you have GOOD news and marie_kap glad you didn't suffer the worst...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 2, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9322610

Kim, I got online and tried to make a donation to Red cross, but I ran into red tape...the online format will not process my donation for I refused to give out my personal telephone number. I didn't give up. I attempted to contact them for a complaint. Well, my complaint will not process either for I left the phone blank. My final attempt was writing to a representative Red Cross worker explain my grieve; I'll see if the issue be resolved today. Let's pull together. Do what little as we can, for what little helps those that in need. Even here in the SE, temp. drops drastically this past few days on the wake of Sandy, I just can't imagine those survivors post Sandy that have to do with no power, heat, water and some of the very basic needs.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

November 2, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9322665

Thanks, Kim...My late husband was from NH...when we built our house, he insisted on a fireplace with a heat-a-lator, bought a small wood stove for the basement, and about 6 years ago, had a generator installed...even with all that, last Oct.'s storm that left me 8 days without power was still awful...just cannot imagine having no heat or water!
KimmyCoCoPop
Taylorsville, KY

November 2, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9322671

Lily, I was able to make my donation but I entered my phone (work) so that must be why. I really believe that we, those of us that can, must make a difference in this horrific ordeal. I can't imagine losing everything. The photos are devestating; I had to stop looking. I think those of us elsewhere cannot go on with everyday life...and ignore this. When I went on-line, if you have a cell phone (I do not), it is REALLY easy to donate $10 via texting. I wish everyone would do that, at least. Well, everyone in a position to do so...I realize not everyone is but many of are quite able to give $10...I wish you luck on your "predicament." btw...why do they need a phone number--I know why, but not at a time like this...please!
KimmyCoCoPop
Taylorsville, KY

November 6, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9325954

Good morning all...I wanted to let you know that I received a package of plants from Arlene on Saturday! I take that as a very good sign that she, Jack and Smitty are a least OK but without power. She and I had traded some plants over the last few weeks and I was VERY pleasantly surprised when the latest one arrived (I figured they'd be preoccupied with Sandy fallout). I hope that we hear from her soon though...kim (YAY!!)
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9325957

Kim - what is the date of the post mark on your package?
KimmyCoCoPop
Taylorsville, KY

November 6, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9325971

I didn't even notice; it is a Priority Mail box so I assumed it was three days old, at the most...I will look tonight.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #9325989

Hi Kim Carolyn and everyone. I still haven't resolved the issue with local Red Cross... It's such a Chaotic time, I'll wait to contact some local people. Has anyone heard from Arlene? I'm concerned.

This message was edited Nov 6, 2012 9:47 AM

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9325996

I've a neighbors with good spirit. This gardener has lost his voice as result of cancer. But his spirit speaks through the beauty of his clematis garden. These must be Niobe (purple) Henryi (white) and Maybe Nelly Moser (white and pink stripes).

Another with beautiful H F Young in which I've not pix at present. Above pics. were taken last Friday.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love         

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9326053

I tried calling and it just rings and rings. I am hoping they are fine and just without power.

Kim - those are gorgeous. I need to move south so I can have a longer gardening season.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9326077

Please come down South, the living is easy here. Cost of living is low, and we can gardening together. lol
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9326084

Kim - sounds wonderful!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9326089

Hah, we need to get a hold of Arlene and persuate her to move down South too. lol

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9326091

I think you'd have a heck of fight trying to remove her from her gardens! :-)

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9326099

I can't imagine rolling my sleeves up. lol Let's say it will be a gentle encouragement, but persistent. The last few days, winter winds follow us down South. Now the foliages begin to change while Clematis in sunny gardens are still in full blooms. Now, it couldn't possibly get any better than that!

Thumbnail by Lily_love

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9326193

This has been a sweet surprise! I never knew so many people would care!

We're fine, really. We only lost power for 18 hours and the phone for a few days but being blonde I thought there was a cable issue when I couldn't get online but it ended up my computer died so we bought a new laptop (first for me) today but they have to set it up and that takes 5 hours! Sounds like much too long to me. Anyhow, we'll pick it up tomorrow.

Our neighbors across the street, on the water, had flooded yards and basements but the water never even came within 100' of the street so we had no worries at all.

Thank you all for your concern! I'm very touched.

Kim, I mailed the package to let you know we survived the storm! Now we have a new one arriving tomorrow.

PLEASE VOTE! We did and the place was packed like we've never seen it before!

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

November 6, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9326207

I'm so happy you're back! So glad to hear everything was okay there Arlene. Welcome back.
Quoting: Kim, I mailed the package ...
What's package? LOL, just kidding, you were talking to KMCCP. lol.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

November 6, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9326209

So glad you're okay, Pirl!!!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

November 6, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9326220

Glad to hear you to had a good outcome, Arlene! My stepdaughter & husband from Commack are still without power, holed up in a hotel...
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

November 6, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9326263

I am glad you are OK Pirl, I have been watching the map of the workers on LI, and seen that they are moving your way, but just to think about you maybe not having any heat in the house made me feel guilty sitting in a toasty place. I have voted too, made shure of that early this morning. Love to all of you. Etelka

To my picture add"and it will get better"

Thumbnail by kiseta

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 6, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9326388

So glad to hear you weathered the storm ok Arlene. We did miss hearing you chime in and help with your ideas and knowledge.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9326405

Robin

Sending prayers to your stepdaughter and husband. Let us know when they are back home.

Carolyn
MyRee
Brigham City, UT
(Zone 5b)

November 6, 2012
10:50 PM

Post #9326624

Arlene, Welcome back, You know you are a driving force for us and we all care very much for you and yours. Where would we be without you? As you can see from the many posts, very lost and concerned, .
So glad you are ok.
Marie
KimmyCoCoPop
Taylorsville, KY

November 7, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9326795

Arlene...so glad you didn't have much in the way of flooding, etc. I sure was imaging the worst after seeing pictures of that area. AND, a new laptop? I'm sooo jealous = ) Hunker down for this next one...so sad to see it on the heels of Sandy...kim

Robin...sending good thoughts your family's way...do let us know...kim

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9326941

Yeah, so glad you are fine pirl!!!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

November 7, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9327030

My stepdaughter & her husband got power back yesterday & they were home by afternoon...now this mess of a nor'easter...we are getting heavy snow, forecast of 3-5 inches, with a change to freezing rain tonight...
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 7, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9327098

Pirlie!!!! I've been haunting this forum, waiting for you to post. So glad you're okay!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9327099

Glad to hear the good news, Marilyn. This weather has been frightful. Hope your snow is gone soon with the higher temperatures I heard on the weather report. Hard to believe right now that we'll have sunshine and 60 for the weekend.

Thank you all for your sweet words. You should have seen me in action yesterday. "Pruning" the clematises (just 5 of them) was more like an attack on the poor things as it kept getting colder and my hands were freezing with two pair of gloves. I got two others done earlier and they were nice and easy. Looks like I will have to rethink the area where I have the five and just leave Jackmanii there. It was too much of a jungle.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9327100

Thanks, Zuzu! If the laptop would just allow me the privilege of sending Emails I'd have contacted you.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9327115

Glad to know they are all safe Robin. I am hoping this nor'easter doesn't turn into much.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 7, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9327121

All news reporting and weather reports say many more trees will come down in the compromised very wet soil. Let us pray it does not happen.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

November 8, 2012
5:17 AM

Post #9327681

Ended up with 8", but the power stayed on...
KimmyCoCoPop
Taylorsville, KY

November 8, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9328037

Wow--8"; that's a TON isn't it...! Glad you have power though...and hope it stays! kim
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9328051

I'm with Kimmy and hope your power stays on, Marilyn. That was heavy, wet snow! We drove though it for the entire one mile drive home after I dropped off the new laptop at the computer guy's home so he could get the photos from my old computer on the new one. One mile was more than enough!

We need a month or two of decent weather to make up for this horrible time.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9328071

Guess I didn't mention how sick I am of cleaning! Having so many more hours in the day since I haven't had the computer that my radiators are spotless and have been bleached twice to keep them that way. That will last until I learn how to use the laptop.

Lamps and lightswitches are also sterile now, all wash is up to the minute as is all vacuuming: BORING!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

November 8, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9328208

Oh, how I hate housework! Yes, there's a lot of snow out here, but it's not too heavy because the temps were low enough to keep it light...I guess that's why I had power, unlike last year's Halloween storm...I was out 8 days, and lost both my crabapple trees, most of my maple, and the tops of many, many others...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 9, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9328812

I am not a fan of housework either - I would just as soon hire out certain jobs. Unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon.

I am so glad you are all ok. I am dreading the days of snow here. We typically get our share.

I already miss the garden. I plan on doing somethings outside today. I need to cut back my peonies and put away my peony hoops. I pretty much leave the rest until early March when I really get the bug.

This has been the summer where I was not able to spend much time out in the garden. I missed the garden and I missed sitting out on my back deck with my morning coffee in my hand. There is something about feeling the heat of the deckboards under my feet that I just love.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22   Thumbnail by Carolyn22   Thumbnail by Carolyn22      

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

November 9, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9329043

Very pretty clem photos, Carolyn!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #9329071

The bleach is back where it belongs and the glass cleaner is no longer on display. The vacuum has been put away and I intend to spend hours here on the laptop even if I fall asleep. I thought I'd expire with all the cleaning fumes.

The glorious part of cleaning after the storm was cleaning the rear 9 kitchen windows that had been plastered with tiny bits of leaves. I used the flat kitchen "mop" (it isn't a mop but I can't think of the name of it) and used that, dipped into warm water and a few drops of bleach with some Dawn detergent, and the windows sparkled when I finished. I do like cleaning those windows but now all hoses have been put away so next spring I guess I'll clean the other 25.

I do miss the nice parts of summer but not the awful heat waves we had when I and others were prisoners of our homes.

Now I'm transforming the former vegetable garden into "The Park" since Jack no longer wants to raise vegetables and fight the crows who destroyed the tomato crop, the fantastic soil that produced many more cucumbers than we could believe, the heat that destroyed the peas and beans, etc. It's too much angst for him. I weeded the entire area and began planting - so far, so good. I'll get back in there tomorrow to see what else I can add. It's great fun!

This is what I started with and I do have follow-up photos but can't find out how to post them yet.

Thumbnail by pirl

bezziec

bezziec
Beverly Pflugerville, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 9, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9329281

Pirl--I too had been checking this forum regarding your welfare. Glad that you are okay, except for being overcome by the need to clean. I need to start on windows too. As the old saying goes, "as soon as I get a round tuit".

I had the best surprise today. The Nellie Moser that I ordered from Brushwood and planted on October 15th has a bud on it. Hope it manages to bloom before it gets too cold. We never had a hard freeze last winter (28* was the lowest temp)) but there's no guarantee for another year.

Enjoy the new laptop!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 9, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9329309

Thanks! I've had clematis Henryii blooming in the snow so don't give up hope. Wind would likely do more damage than the cold. They are amazing plants.

The urge to clean is now history, most thankfully. It made me feel too much like an OC person though in the garden I probably am OC but I can accept that!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9329472

Funny you say that Arlene - I am probably more OCD about that garden than the house as well. Something about digging in the dirt and tying up lose clem vines or staking dahlias that makes me feel so good, whereas house cleaning and such just makes me sore and tired. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to live in a sty either, but I get more satisfaction from the gardening chores than some of the other chores.

I have a few clematis that I need to heel in this fall - I will be doing that this weekend. My gardening chores are starting to wind down... :(

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

November 10, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9329549

Pirl, what are you going to plant in the old veggie garden?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9329618

Carolyn - same here. I want every weed out of the garden and a speck of dirt on the kitchen floor can actually be picked up by either sex but it usually doesn't work out that way. Same with the soap dish. Is there any reason, other than stuck on soap, to have to clean a soap dish? How does the dirt get on the soap and get left there? Is there an equal to Mr. Clean that's Mr. Dirty? Once you clean the house it begins to get dirty immediately while garden weeds at least have the courtesy of waiting two or three days to grow again. That makes it sound like Jack is a slob and he isn't but Smitty doesn't wash his paws in the sink so the possibilities are very limited.

Marilyn - it's about half planted now and in spring I'll add dahlias, caladium and coleus. So far I have Limelight hydrangea and two other hydrangeas, a ton of Louisiana irises, two roses, two clematises (both Venosa Violacea) and many Coral Charm peonies, hoping they'll match (and not conflict with) the climbing Royal Sunset rose that will grow on the top of the garden gate. A friend who is moving to Michigan asked me to take her Paperbark maple that I've admired since she bought it. The new owners do not garden at all so it's my honor to accept the gift but now have to get a local guy to do the digging of it (and replanting) for us.

Here's the combo with the large peony photo by Trilian (DG) and the two others by DG's Kell. There will be the two clem's adorning the rose, I hope. The next photo shows the color of the clem's with the roses (photos of the roses by Kell, again).

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9329625

Here's the garden gate. I'm glad the lilies you can see from outside The Park match the climbing rose! That's good fortune!

Thumbnail by pirl

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9329645

Arlene

So gorgeous - I can almost smell the peonies, roses and lilies. There is nothing that smells so good as freshly opened flowers or fresh fruit. I love the colors you have chosen - what color clematis will you put in?

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9329681

Thanks, Carolyn. It will be the Venosa Violacea (already planted) that is show in the second collage above.

Now I'm heading out to garden and cut back more clematises.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9329697

Ohh, love the color combos of the roses and clems Arlene! I have a climbing rose Autumn Sunset planted with C. Ashva and was enchanted with the combo all summer, happy when something works out as pictured!

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue   Thumbnail by Calif_Sue   Thumbnail by Calif_Sue   Thumbnail by Calif_Sue   

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #9329701

This is another combo, a soft yellow David Austin rose 'Graham Thomas' with C. Ramona

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue   Thumbnail by Calif_Sue         

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9329709

Oh and you'll love Royal Sunset, this is my in-laws rose with an unknown purple clem. (can't find it on my computer right now)
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/282801/
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9329760

Love your photos, Sue! You know the problems I have with deer eating my roses so I was thrilled to find the two roses on sale no less! To have the new garden to keep them safe from the deer is a blessing. Still, I'll never be a Zuzu or a Sue of the east coast.

The soft coral/peach/salmon goes so beautifully with purple clem's. Love your Graham Thomas, as well. I've had that rose for many years but paired it with Lemon Chiffon clematis since I had Jackmanii nearby. Now, if I could just get Lemon Chiffon to grow half as well as KimmyCoCoPop I'd be thrilled.

Your mother-in-law's rose is spectacular. Do you have any idea how old it is? At what age should I expect it to begin to climb? I've already saved your MIL's rose to Picasa.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

November 10, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9329815

Those color combos are awesome! I planted peony Coral Charm 2 years ago, hoping for blooms this year...I've decided I need a few more roses...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9329820

Depending on space and inspiration I just may add a few more roses as well. The scented ones always win the race for me.

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9329981

No idea how old her rose is, I will ask her next time I talk to her. I still have mine in a 5 gal. pot, I have several potted climbers I still need to decide on locations.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 10, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9330008

Thanks, Sue. You make me feel better with your last sentence. I just planted several potted plants that had been waiting 17 months - sweet relief!

Calif_Sue

Calif_Sue
Northern California
United States
(Zone 9a)

November 10, 2012
10:11 PM

Post #9330064

Mine are older, since I sold and moved out of my last house, over 2 years! Eekkk, poor things! As soon as the big dogs clear out and move with their family, I will finish planting. I started with such a huge number ya know!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2012
7:13 AM

Post #9330225

I feel better too - just got my hydrangeas planted that were purchased 18 months ago and I have a couple of clematis that need to be planted. I plan on heeling them in for the winter and planting them out in the spring... these clematis will give me something to play with during the winter. It will be fun figuring out where I want them. :-)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9330271

Now I feel so much better! I hate not planting new purchases but putting them in the wrong spots isn't the answer for me. I detest moving things once they're in the ground.

I also have a few more clem's to be planted and with any luck I'll get it done this week.

When I went through my battle with the evil Houttuynia I had to dig up Crystal Fountain since the Houtt. roots were in with the clem's roots. After I managed to get the evil roots out I moved the clem to a large pot and used chipped leaves, pine needles, compost and manure under the root ball. Now it's more lush than ever before so I finally scored on an "idea" that worked. I hope it survives the winter.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9330450

Is there anything special you have to do when you have a clem in a pot. I have never done this and I dont want to to die this winter.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9330480

Marie

I just bury mine in the back yard, taking care to put some type of a stake or something so I know where to dig in the Spring. I have done this with clematis, hydrangea, and heuchera with excellent results. I have only lost one plant doing this and I think the root system was suspect on that plant to begin with. As soon as I can work the soil in the Spring, I dig up these pots.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

November 11, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9330648

Ok, that will have to be my next project on a day off. I hope I don't miss the opportunity with the clems and the banana trees I have to get in the ground. I tis so hard trying to get things done on days off. It does not always work out with the weather.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9330652

Marie - we'll find out next year if this pot idea of mine worked or not. It is a huge pot and there is no way I could bury it. Painting the pot next year is on my list.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 18, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9336673

Hello everyone, I see that I have a lot of catching up to do. Arlene, I'm glad that you fared well from hurricaine Sandy.

We really are heading into winter here in Duluth, GA, and we've had many days with cold temperatures, and lots of frost days. Many of the clematis have died down, but I wont cut them until spring when it starts to warm up.

I did get 3 new plants last week, Snow Queen, Barbara Jackman, and Ramona, which I'm glad to replace, since I'd grown it at my last house and loved it. They came in 1 gallon pots from Lowes. I gave them a feed of Miracle Grow with Epsom salt to tide them over. I will be planting BJ in a very large cement pot, that's in partial shade and sits on my driveway. I'll have to find a place for the other 2. We just had our Cryptomerias limbed up by 6-7 feet, so I have some new planting areas. I wonder if the new plants would do well under them? They would get morning sun. Annette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 19, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9336914

Thanks. I'll be picking up the small pieces of the spruces for another year but that's minor. So far Jack has been to the dump four times with those little pieces and larger branches. At least it keeps me out there gardening and I'm in the midst of four projects now. Hope I get done by mid-December.

It's cool here, too, and by 5 PM it's dark so the days are cut short both morning and afternoon: I don't like it at all.

The BJ will do fine but I'd be hesitant to plant anything under the Cryptomeria or any type of pine, cypress, hemlock or spruce. I've lost more clematises from doing that than any other reason even when I plant them 2' or more from the plant. I don't know if it's something in the soil (from the shedding of the plant) or what goes wrong. I hope you have much better luck than I had if you try it!

Candida just gave me one more bloom! I have been cutting them back (against the rules) only because they look a wreck right now. I'm also concerned about a late spring and having too much to do at once. I like knowing at least I've taken care of the clem's. I have done this before and they all grew just fine.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 19, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9337623

Wow, it sounds like you has a lot of wind damage done to the trees. We had a 50 ft tree fall from the high winds from Sandy. Thank goodness it fell at an angle and missed the house. We had a tree removal company remove it and several other tall trees that were bound to fall eventually.

Thanks for the advice about planting under the Cryptomerias. I'll find other spots for them in the garden.

I have had a few late blooms from Crystal Fountain, and yesterday while straightening out the clematis, I found a tiny bloom on Liberation. BJ that I just got has big fat buds, so I'll get a few more blooms there if the buds don't get frozen.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9337895

There were only a very few large branches but no limbs, thankfully. The majority consists of little pieces about a foot or less in length but they add up fast and they're embedded in plants, shrubs and trees. You had much more damage than we did! It's wise of you to have removed any trees that posed a threat. So many people don't do it, or perhaps they can't afford to do it, but the resulting damage, when trees do fall, can kill people and destroy much of a home.

Maybe planting under the Cryptomeria would work for you but I'm obviously not a fan of planting by shrubs. I've had success growing them on the Tardiva hydrangea and other actual trees as well as roses. I guess you could try planting them in big pots but I'm too hesitant to recommend it.

I love when clem's surprise us with the late blooms and I've had Henryi bloom in the snow so don't be surprised when Liberation does bloom. Yesterday, while continuing the cleaning, I found one that had bloomed on Fireworks.

Yesterday I was digging up a layering of Duchess of Albany for a friend. I'll have to take a photo and then hope my computer guy can get Windows 8 to "interface" with Picasa so I can show everyone. It's a classic example of exactly how it works. It didn't have a huge set of roots but far more than the cheap ones I've bought at Walmart. (I have no complaint with the Walmart or Lowe's plants - you get what you pay for and the fun of growing can't be beat).

All my clematis friends here know I use the cheap Walmart self-watering pots to raise baby clem's. I did take photos of the two Venosa Violacea that I bought back in early spring. The roots were SO robust they were growing through the water storage lip. Once I can post new photos, I'll show you how great those pots work. Now I wouldn't consider raising a new baby clem without that type of pot. I know they aren't "pretty" but they do work so well.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. I hope you each have a wonderful day. I am very thankful for all I have with family and friends. My DG clem friends are the best!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

November 20, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9338037

I donated a watercolor I painted of Silver Moon to our church bazaar...the woman who won it in the raffle was so taken with the plant, she's going to try growing a clem...mission accomplished, I guess! Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to all...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

November 20, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #9338491

What a lovely compliment to you, Marilyn!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

November 20, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #9338734

It's always nice to create a new clematis addict ;-)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Annette
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2012
1:26 AM

Post #9338794

I thought it was fun your creating a new clematis addict too, Robin. Love the idea of the painting.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. I hope anybody that is traveling stays safe.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

November 21, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9339052

Yes, same here!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9346815

After a spell of unexpected nice weather we now have these gray days that are cold, dank and sunless but I have been working in the garden most of the time. By 3:30 it's cold! Has anyone else been cutting back any clem's? I've cut back many that just looked so pathetic.

Henryi has given me two more flowers. Rather funny how exciting two flowers can be at this time of year. Candida also gave me a few and they do last a lot longer in cool weather.

I've been busy planting alliums. It seemed like a good idea when I ordered 500 of them back in September but not so good right now. Then I was notified that they were out of one so it lessened my order by 20 but they packaged an extra 10 of a small one so the number is 490 and so far I've managed to plant 345 so I'm heading down the homestretch.

There's an old quote about memories: God gave us memories so we might have roses in December. I do have roses, the ones the deer haven't devoured, and I have clematises so I am very fortunate on this cold and dreary December 1.

Planning on making any clematis purchases for 2013?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #9346833

Hi Arlene,

Planning? I'll need to move-- to a sunnier garden in order to get more Clems. lol. This year, I finally learned that hybrid clems. can really bloom gloriously in the garden BOTH in Spring and Fall provided that we plant them in a sunnier spot. In my 'woodlands' garden. My clems. for years only bloom in the spring. This year, the SAC has over-whelmed alot of my hybrids. So I've been trying to iradiacate those sweet scent SAC in the garden. :((

As far Alliums go. Whoa! 490 of thems. They're going to be glorious. And good gracious, they're expensive too. Would you please share some tips on planting those beautiful alliums?
Kim
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9346858

Hi Kim,

Well, now I have a very sunny garden since I inherited the former vegetable garden. So far two Venosa Violacea (from Walmart this past spring) have been planted next to a peach climbing, heavily scented, rose along with allium. I'm considering adding three of a montana Mayleen but I don't know if they will end up being too heavy for the deer mesh. Does anyone have any experience to share about Mayleen?

Yes, they added up fast! First I went to Van Engelen, online, then came to my senses and I'm still happy with the prices from Scheepers and the quality. When they bloom, Kim, I'll be happy to share any "tips" but for now I'm just planting them per the directions and hoping for the best. I thought I had done a good job by making up all the labels first, with the name, height, months they bloom, and the location where I wanted them but found out the hard way (of course) that my first job should have been to clear the areas where I wanted them so I wouldn't be doing that in this horrid cold, dank weather.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2012

Post #9346873

Arlene

I had Montana Mayleen - I loved it until the voles took care of it. I had mine growing up a pergola. I do think as time went on, that she would have gotten quite heavy. Not sure if the deer fencing will hold her - she gets pretty big and I am sure on the heavy side.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 1, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9346878

I don't cut back my clems or roses here, I do it in the early spring...the alliums will look gorgeous...Scheepers is just up the road apiece, I'd love to get a job there, but I'm afraid I know where my money would go! I may order 1 clem this year, but not sure which one...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9346900

I cut mine back in the Spring as well. By the time Spring rolls around, I really need to get out in the garden as I have cabin fever pretty badly at that point. In the fall, there are too many tasks for me to do my clipping back.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9346904

I'm only cutting back the ones within range of my arms as I do other jobs so there are many I won't get to until spring. Each one I can do is one less for spring and encourages me that someday I just might be up to date. The deer do the rose pruning for me - rats!

Thanks, Carolyn. My friend's Mayleen has a huge base to it and it looks more like a tree but it blooms gloriously over her shed.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 1, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #9346911

pirl wrote:Each one I can do is one less for spring and encourages me that someday I just might be up to date.

Arlene - I don't think I will ever be up to date!

Looking forward to your Mayleen pictures next Spring.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 1, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9346931

That doesn't stop me from hoping, Carolyn! LOL

Why do any of us continue to believe that we'll have every job done, every plant in the ground or in a container, nothing left to prune, no weeds to be removed, all mulch in place, everything fed according to schedule, and we can just sit down and rest for a few days?

If I could think of a way to reinforce the mesh with dark green boards going over the top, from pole to pole, I just might order them but it seems more of a job than I want to tackle.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 2, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9347950

The last planting of allium for the day was near the Lemon Chiffon clematis and I managed to restrain myself and only cut back to where I could spot swollen buds.

Good news: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289645/

Bill is having his caladium sale again, most thankfully. I loved how they all performed for me in 2012 and they do such a great job of hiding the ugly legs of clematises. I'll use more of them next year to hide more legs!

Thumbnail by pirl

marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

December 2, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9348188

I will be ordering some more this year. I really like them last year. I like the hanging basket ones. That will be on my list also.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 4, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9350121

Hello ladies, I just catching up on this post, since I was out of town the last few days.

Arlene, I have grown Montana Mayleenfor several years close to my back steps. It should be renamed monster Maylene due to the size that it gets. Mine was neglected this year, and fell off the drain pipe that it was intended to grow up during my recovery, so I just left it there. Here it is in the garden today, I tend to prune it hard during the spring so that it doesn't eat the house, LOL. The second picture is of the stems.

I've also got Barbara Jackman blooming which was purchased several weeks ago, but hasn't been planted in the cement pot yet. It's one of the many things that I have to do this weekend. The camellias have also been blooming here for several weeks. Here's a view of some of them, and a close up of C. Nuccio's Pearl. It's nice to have something blooming at this time of year, when everything else is going dormant.

The weather here has become warm again, after several weeks of cold and heavy frosts, so it was quite pleasant to work out in the garden today, with the temps being in the low 70's. We're expecting rain here tomorrow.

Edited for spelling

This message was edited Jan 6, 2013 5:58 PM

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 5, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9350283

I love that camelia!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 5, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9350694

The camellia is gorgeous. I love the delicate color. Do camellias have a scent?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9350724

Thanks, Annette. Hope you are fully recovered now.

I guess Mayleen may not be what I should be buying since it probably would rip down the deer fencing. My friend, Zuzu, who grows more than a thousand roses and countless clematises in California, also told me it is a monster. Montana means monster in French. It is not named for the state of Montana.

Barbara Jackman is looking great. The camellia is a delight to see. All I'm seeing is earth as I continue planting the alliums.

Gee, you're happy with the 70's and I'm thrilled with near 60!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 5, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9350860

Thanks for the compliments everyone. I do so love my camellias. I have never smelled them, so I don't know if they have a scent. I'll check this weekend.

Arlene thanks for the information about what montana means, it really is true that it is a monster and is appropriately named. It depends on the weight that the deer netting can handle, and Maylene does have pretty little blooms. Here is a picture of it blooming last spring. It would be great to cover a large area.

Fnally, I couldn't resist, here is Camellia Nuccio's Bella Rosa, and Pink Icicles with a bloom starting to open. I only got into camellias the last few years, and I'll be adding 3 new ones under the newly trimmed Cryptomeria. I've now gotten a lot more gardening room, and the camellias seem to love it under there. Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165      

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 5, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9350916

Those camellias are so gorgeous!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 6, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9351442

Yes, they are, & to have something so lovely blooming in December is awesome...
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 6, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9351704

Thanks y'all ;-) The camellias have been easier to grow than I expected.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

December 6, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9351790

Do you keep your camellias trimmed so they stay that small, or are they just a smaller version? I would like more , but the I understood that they can get to be trees.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9352030

Hi Marie, most of the mature Camellias I've seen around here is that they can be 9-10 feet tall. I can imagine we can trim them to keep them smaller. They like Azaleas, take well to acidic soil and dapple shade condition. I've this 'Pink Snow' the shrub is about 5 yeas old; untrimmed.

Will clematis "Montana" tolerate some shade y'all? I've an arbor in the front yard that need a total 'make over'. DH wanted to rid my beautiful climbing roses of various kinds, for they worked him to no avail, plus the thorns. He has had it with THORNS. So I need to come up with something attractive, for it's the front yard arbor.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 7, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9352075

That's so pretty, Kim.

I think all the Montana (the computer will not allow me to use lower case for the M!) class want the sunshine. How much sun would it get on the arbor? If it can have 6 hours it should do fine.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 7, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9352146

Another pretty camelia...there are some that should live in zone 6, but because I'm borderline zone 5, guess I won't try one...
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 7, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #9352603

Beautiful camellia Kim. I have only trimmed C. Apple Blossom, since it grew relatively quickly. The others are small, because this is only their third winter in my garden, and I'm thrilled that they remain healthy. I love the fact that they are also evergreen. Annette
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #9352826

I would so love to have camellias. One of those things that will have to wait until I retire and we move south.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9352835

There are two types of Camillias, one that blooms in the Fall, the other in the early Spring around mid Feb. down here. These are the latter type. These are the precusors of promises to come.

Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   Thumbnail by Lily_love   

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 8, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9352896

That double one is awesome!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 8, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9352948

So beautiful Kim
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 8, 2012

Post #9353344

Nice blooms Kim. I love that double as well. Which one is it? Annette

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9353503

Thanks all, I used to know the cultivar names of those beauties. I'll have to bring the pictures back to the nursery where I purchased them to retrieve the name. I'll keep you posted when I do. okay?
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

December 9, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9353673

Mine is blooming now, I dont know what the name is.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 9, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9354196

Thanks for looking into the name for the camellia Kim.

Today was spent in the garden doing clean up of the bed that has Josephine and planting tulips in the front yard, and Narcissus Billy Graham and tulip Flaming Parrot in front of Josephine. This past spring, I planted Caladium bulbs in front of the same bed, and this evening as I was putting in the tulips and Narcissus, I came across the dormant Caladium bulbs, some of which were huge, much larger that the size of the bulbs that I had originally planted. I pulled them out and plan on storing them over the winter in the basement. Also, I had every intention of planting 2 of the potted clematis, but after I was done planting the bulbs, it had gotten dark. It was a gorgeous day here, and hit 70 again. We'll be getting cold again this week.

Here is Camellia Pink Icicles open, it has been blooming for several weeks.

Thumbnail by Cem9165

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 10, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9354512

What a cheerful color...it's foggy & in the 40s here, not gardening weather!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

December 10, 2012

Post #9354542

Not here either Robin. wet and chilly.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9354588

Major rain here. The rest of the week looks good for gardening but not today. So glad it's raining like this after I moved many Louisiana irises yesterday.

Thumbnail by pirl

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 10, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9354596

Thanks Arlene on your statement regarding Montana Maylene. The sun/shade condition in the front yard dependent on the season. Early spring, it gets 'full sun' condition due to decidous trees devoiding of leaves. But as Summer arrives, it becomes dappled shade. Many of my climbing roses put out flowers just fine there. But like I've mentioned before it were the thorns on the roses that made it diffult for maintenance/trimming and upkeep.

It's "soupy and grey" out side here too. Like Annette, we've had great weather over the the weekend, but like the rest of us in the SE we're bracing for a cool front heading in our way.

Hi Marie, how is your grafting of the Hazel coming along?

Arelene, those Lousiana irises made a fine combo. Love that colage.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 10, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9354827

They are beauties!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 10, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9354840

Thanks, Marilyn.

Kim - here's the Brushwood page on Maylene: http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/small-flowered-clematis-4/clematis-montana-mayleen-145.html

It does say "full sun, partial shade", and with your location I think it should do fine.

Thanks. They are just five of the many I grow here. I love them all.
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9355430

Hi Everyone, Long time no talk! I was not getting around to well but, did make a few camera visits to the garden. I had great help from a mutual freind of B.Js and mine. and who is an avid Gardner! We are blessed. I cant remember if I mentioned this setback to all of my friends here on the clematis forum, setbacks all look alike!! I apologize for any worry I may have caused. Lee Sherwood McDonald

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 11, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9355476

Hope you're doing better, Lee...

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 11, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9355504

Welcome back Lee, glad you're able to join us. Arlene, thank you for the Nursery Link, I've spent a good part of the day looking into what Brushwood has to offer... The weather is taking on the look/feels of winter. So I made sure the birds got their seeds and treats. RD, is there heavy snow there where you're?
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9355519

Lee - I'm wishing you good health and happiness. We miss all of our clematis pals when they aren't around and we did miss you.

Kim - I think your springs and summers are warmer than ours so I really wouldn't worry about the clematis. You can always drop a line to Dan at Brushwood and seek his advice. Tell him your town and state so he can make an easier judgment about it.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9355688

Hi to everyone, I have finished all the Christmas cooking so now it is the garden again. I have trimmed the clematis down, should I cover the roots with pine straw. Also, I have some oriental lillies in pots, 3 bulbs each, most of them bloomed last year, but should I wait till Spring to replant them? My pansies are in the pots, thay look nice, hope they will bush out. I have got Skype on my internet, so now I can watch and talk to my sisters and brother, they just had 30 " of snow, everything is on stand still.
sGreeting to you Pirl, my iris you gave me are holding on, but did not bloom last year. What should I do to improve it? Lots of questions today, but I guess I am so happy to be done with the big parties. Will have my vacation from 20 Dec till 8th of January. What is a single lady do when she has to much time on her hands??
It is hard to go anywhere by your self. Etelka

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 11, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9355800

Learn to knit Etelka...that's what I do in the winter...keeps my hands busy. LilyLove, no snow here right now...had an open winter last year, but the year before that the snow was on the ground from Nov. to March...many roofs across the state caved in, ice dams formed on all the roofs...I had some water damage in my family room...hoping this is a mild, almost snowless winter!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9355804

Etelka - I think the only place that had you beat, as far as Christmas cooking, would be the Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec. There they have the big Christmas dinner in restaurants in mid-October. We were stunned to see everything decked out for Christmas and all the lights. After that the restaurants close for the long winter.

You can't go wrong covering the clematis roots with any type of mulch now.

I'd plant the Oriental lilies as soon as possible. I've done it in December often enough with great success.

How nice that you can talk to your family. Modern conveniences were made for you. That 30" of snow doesn't sound too inviting to me since I'm still transplanting Louisiana irises.

What type of irises did I send, Etelka. I really don't recall. Many won't bloom for a year (or two) after transplanting so don't be alarmed.

Have a great vacation. I'm sure you earned it.

Hmmm, I'll have to think of what a single lady can do...find a friend and go on a trip even if it's just to Florida!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 11, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9355808

Your suggestion is better than mine, Pirl!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9355819

Well, your suggestion is more worthwhile but a few days away could be great fun. Maybe Etelka could do both!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

December 13, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9357463

Ok, I know it I am a little late doing this but I finally got those baby Clems from last spring in the ground. I have to say that pinching them back and not letting them grow much, sure paid off. I was shocked to see how big the roots were. One had actually started getting root bound. That one was the Advant Garde that I have been working with now for 3 years. With that mass of roots I am hoping for a great show of growth and maybe a bloom next sporing.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9357511

It is amazing what constant pinching can do for a clematis. Now is not too late to plant them if anyone out there has delayed. Just give them a LOT of mulch and don't forget one good drink of water.

I had layered a few strands of Liberation but it was in shade, hardly any direct sun at all except for maybe an hour in the very early morning. I expected not much would become of them and dug them up in the hopes I'd be wrong. I wasn't wrong. They were very scrawny. The Walmart self-watering pot to the rescue! Feeling only one (on the right in the first photo) would be of any value, I still potted up all of them. Right now they're all trying to push out leaves! I'm thrilled.

The initial layering was done 11/18/11 (photo #4) and by April I could tell they were growing (photo #5).

It's certainly worth a try for any you'd like to duplicate for free.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 13, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #9357565

Wow...impressive growth!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 13, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9357641

It's just so easy!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 13, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9357726

Arlene, that's a wonderful pictorial demonstration of layering. I layered my Jackmanii earlier this year. The first time the neighbor's son took my bricks. I did it again and labelled the bricks DO NOT REMOVE. I'll have to see how it's doing next spring, provided my bricks haven't been stolen again.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

December 14, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9357928

I had one layer by it self one year. I gave that small plant to the neighbor and it has grown all over her mail box now. So I guess just putting in on the ground and soil over it will make it layer too.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

December 14, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9357958

Jackmanii is a vigorous grower clem. Hope that it will reward you with new sproutings next spring Annette. It's too bad that kids aren't being taught to respect other's property let's be big or small. If the kid's old enough to read, they ought to be old enough to be kind's to neighboring gardening project.

Arlene, thank you for the pictorial demo. Thank you for sharing your gardening tips and joy with others.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 14, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9358008

Annette - a kid with a brick just doesn't sound like it could end up being a positive thing. Hope he left his hands off the current bricks and you get a new Jackmanii.

Marie - they can and do layer themselves but sometimes we want more of a specific clematis and that's when we can layer our own. For me it's difficult, having the tremors, to gently scratch the nodes to put that portion of the stem in a nice soft area of compost/soil or plain old manure, to get it started forming roots. So I don't scratch the nodes but do like to have two of them, per stem, under the brick. The reason for the brick is to alert us or remind us that we have a layering process going on and to keep the roots being formed as damp as the clem's want.

Kim - for too many kids respect is a thing of the past, not that they ever heard of it at home. Makes a person wonder what their home life is like. I do love gardening and now I'm on my way out to cut back about 200 Japanese irises to tidy up for the winter. I'll still be out on all the nice days and sunny hours to have fun in the garden.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9359350

I checked today, and my brick is still there, and the layered portion of Jackmanii has rooted. The paint pen that I used to label the brick has shown no signs of fading.

The weather here has been in the 30's the last few nights but we warmed up into the 60's today, and I was able to plant Snow Queen by my mailbox and Barbara Jackman in the large cement pot. Both plants have excellent root balls, and hopefully will they'll do well next year.

It was nice to work in the garden today, which helped to alleviate the sorrow that I feel for the families in CT who lost so many loved ones yesterday. It is sad that so many innocent children died, as well as school personnel, and that so many lives have been changed due to one crazed person.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9359369

That's good news about the Jackmanii and the planting of the other clem's.

I worked in different gardens today for 7.5 hours and yesterday for 5 hours. It's amazing how much I got done.

Such a horrid event and we're helpless to change a thing. Our prayers are all we can offer.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 15, 2012

Post #9359484

I was going to cut down Sunset, but I noticed 4 blooms on it, so I will enjoy them for little longer. In the process of planting pansies, so it will look a little bit more colorfull, more then just the evergreen bushess. Etelka
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 15, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9359487

Try to always look at the leaf axils, where the leaves had joined the stem, and see if you can spot the promise of growth (tiny buds - not for flowers but for branches) for next bloom season. If you see them then I wouldn't cut it back. When it's going to bloom you can bet I wouldn't cut it back!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 15, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9359533

Etelka, you're fortunate to have blooms at this time of the year. The Barbara Jackman that I planted today has it's last bloom open. I also want to start pruning the clematis now instead of the spring time. Josephine is at the back of a bed that has tulips and daffodils planted in the front, and hostas, pulmonaria, and bleeding hearts planted in the middle. It's getting harder to get back there in the spring time when everything's coming up.

As I was planting the last of the tulips today in front of the bed, I came across a dormant caladium bulb, and I couldn't believe the size, I've never seen one this big, and it certainly was not this size when I planted it this past spring.

In the bed with Jackmanii, my iris blueberry Tart is also blooming today, despite the many cold nights that we've had this week. This little iris is really resilient., this is the 3rd bloom that it's put up this fall.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165         

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9359631

Annette - I also prefer planting any clematises I've potted previously, in November to December. They're just as dormant (for the most part) as they would be in March or April but planting them now does give me the advantage, just like you, to be sure to get the job done and the plant is acclimated very fast.

Wow! That's some fantastic size! Do you remember where you bought it?

Isn't that iris proof enough that they can thrive with the leaves of fall around it? I rescued one yesterday that was growing in a huge area of coreopsis 'Zagreb'. I had to cut it out with a long serrated knife and I did replant it immediately.

No clematises blooming here but several roses, yarrow and verbena. I do have two clematis buds waiting to bloom. I hope they do.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9359696

Hey Arlene, I got the caladium bulbs at Walmart to put in pots for the office, and there were some left over so I decided to plant them in this bed with Josephine, and what a happy surprise, they thrived there, with the bulbs really increasing in size, another happy surprise.. It was not my inital plan to plant them there, but I really enjoyed their foliage.

The last picture is a caladium that was bought as a plant, which remained in the pot the entire summer. It's now in my garage, and I plan on preserving all of the bulbs to replant next year. The plants all disappeared towards the end of summer, and I thought the bulbs had rotted, but they had only gone dormant. I need to get some peat to store them in till next spring.

We used to grow caladiums at my last home, my DH loves them, and he was the on that really got into planting them back then. He was quite happy with the way the side bed turned out this year. Annette

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9359735

They are lovely and what a shock to hear you got them at Walmart! I've only had mislabeled bags and bulbs that did not perform.

I gave up on them long ago when Bill came to DG - that's Bill the caladium guy of Caladium Bulbs 4 Less. His ad (and the 15% discount if you use his special code) are now on Classified Ads.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289645/

Be sure to check out the "collections". So far I've ordered two collections (and other caladiums) but I may add to my order.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9359753

I've been looking at his website. The varieties he has available are outstanding. I need to let the DH look at it to determine which ones he would like.

I was fortunate enough to have the bulbs bloom true to their names. I'll have to check the packages and write them down. The bulbs are now all mixed up.

I do have a semi shaded in front of the house now that could use some caladiums, now that the Cryptomeria has been trimmed up. I'm going to get them from Bill. He's also active in the aroids section on the other website.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 16, 2012

Post #9359782

Those caladiums are beauties...so is the dwarf iris! I have quite a few, but no blooms this time of year...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9359790

I think the latest blooms I've had on a TBI were late October to early November. Must be nice having the iris in bloom now and it makes it extra special.

The combination of this caladium and the sedum really pleased me. I love how the white markings on the caladium went with the sedum.

Thumbnail by pirl

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 16, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9359796

One of those 'happy accidents'!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9359823

Wow, that combo is gorgeous Arlene. I love the way you combine your colors.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9360106

Thanks, Annette. It was a "happy accident" as Marilyn said but they are the things I love to spot.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9360179

I'm going to start my post with saying, a gardener has got to do what a gardener has to do... Today our temps remained in the 50's, and it rained all day, with light showers and intermittent heavier downpours. I had a lot of yard work to do since my activity has been limited since August. So I suited up in jeans, a long sleeve t-shirt, a sweat shirt, rain poncho, and my rain boots and headed outside for 5 hours.

I now have rediscovered muscles I haven't used in a few months, and my neck is really sore, but I got a lot accomplished. I must also say, I've never been so muddy in all of my life, LOL.

I finally got Ramona, the last of the clematis in a pot planted in the ground. I also planted 5 peonies, 100 Iris Rosario, and 5 Iris Dardanus in the back beds. I trimmed Josephine, Huvi, Durandii, and my viticella NOID.

I'm so happy with how much I got done today, I still have 35 lily bulbs, and
12 bearded iris to plant, but I may just heel them in for the winter in a bag of potting soil, and plant them in the spring, if I can't get them done next Saturday. Annette
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9360186

Well done, Annette! Can you hear me applauding you? I've gone out on days like that and got a lot done as well. By evening we may be sore but at least we've accomplished something worthwhile.

In the past three weeks I got all 34 dahlias dug, cleaned, put away, 490 alliums planted and at least 200 Louisiana irises lifted, old ends cut off, and replanted in the new garden. Many tall bearded irises have been dug and moved. That's aside from all the hydrangeas I moved to the new garden and Callicarpa, etc.

In the past I have potted up both irises and lilies and they all did fine so if you don't get to the garden to get the jobs done, they'll be fine in pots.

No wonder we don't mind a rest in winter!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9360225

So true Arlene, so true. I forgot to add that I also did 3 large pots today for the DH's office. Here they are in the garage tonight. He's taking them to work tomorrow.

Also, here are Snow Queen, and Barbara Jackman their new homes. I thought I also took a picture of Ramona, but in my damp delirium I must have forgotten ;~) the last picture is of the trimmed Josephine. In that same bed in the middle is Japanese Iris Geisha Girl that I've never seen bloom. I've had it for several years, and moved it this past spring, but I think all the other plants in the same bed grew and overshadowed it, and it didn't do very well. What's your secret with the Japanese irises to make them thrive? I grew them successfully at my last home, but can't seem to get it right now.

It's amazing what we go through to maintain our gardens. I'm quite sure that my neighbors think I'm crazy. However, they also get to enjoy the benefits of my hard work, getting to see all the blooms. I only have 1 neighbor that is as interested in gardening as we are. She's also a DG member.

Arlene, I also wanted to know if you kept your potted lilies and irises inside or outside? Two years ago I heeled in some TB irises in a cut open bag of potting soil that was kept in my basement in a Radio flyer wagon during the winter, and the wagon was taken to the back deck in the spring. The irises weren't planted until last fall, and they did extremely well.

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9360259

So where do we get all this energy from so we can work like crazed people on days when others are reading the Sunday papers in front of a roaring fire? Hopefully they have fireplaces!

Geisha Girl should not have given you any problem. Tell her to behave and give her some manure and more water come spring. A little camellia food would be a good idea. I seldom feed my many JI's and they all seem to grow well. There are always a few that increase so sparingly that I wouldn't recommend them and one that has given me just one flower in 9 years = dud.

Long ago I gave up on being concerned what the neighbors thought of me and my gardening. Maybe I don't think too much of playing Bridge or their other games and drinking. To each her own.

I always kept the irises and lilies potted outdoors so they could get used to the weather. They do develop great roots in pots since they have no competition at all. Here is Royal Sunset, potted early April and transplanted late July.

Thumbnail by pirl

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #9360290

Thanks for the info about Geisha Girl. I need to put a new tag on her so that I can find her more easily in the spring, and I will do as you suggested. BTW, that is one good looking rootball

The energy for gardening comes from knowing that for all of the hard work we put in now, we will be rewarded with years of beauty later.

You're so right about the neighbors. I only wish that they would respect my garden, and not do things to deliberately destroy it. I had an episode recently where I found 9 bags of dog feces that were thrown down behind my dragon wing begonias, and on top of my Citronella lilies in one of my beds close to the street. I was livid when I realized what had happened. I immediately called security from the neighborhood, and had them document the incident, and we wrote a strongly worded letter to the HOA regarding how deliberate this act was. The plastic from the bags smothered the lilies and killed the plants off. Luckily, the bulbs seem to be okay. We'll see how they perform next year.

I also had an incident last year where someone came into my front yard, and cut one of my TB irises, and took a part of the rhizome and a bloom stem. Now that's really neighborly!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 16, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9360303

Geisha Girl should really grow without you tending to it more than you already do with giving it good soil and watering it if you don't have enough rain. Maybe this will be the lucky year.

I agree that it's worth the work and yet there's always another garden to be done over or plants that get too much or too little sun.

I'd love to know the thought behind dumping the bags of feces on your flower beds. I wonder if it's jealousy or just plain nastiness. How disrespectful and absolutely rude.

While I can imagine someone loving an iris I just can't imagine anyone stealing it, rhizome and stem. I'd gladly share with a neighbor and have done so. I imagine you'd do the same, so why can't they just ask or drop a note?.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 16, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9360324

I would also happily share plants if anyone one asks. Some people now do, or take what they want without consideration for others, which is unfortunate.

Geisha Girl is planted in a bed that has a sprinkler head. I'll try the fertilizer that you recommended, and I'll make sure that it's no longer overshadowed next year. It may have to be moved again to a spot that gets more sun.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9360499

As gardeners we automatically want to share the beauty but there are those who, obviously, will take plants without asking.

JI's want sunshine. They can take some shade but bloom much better in full sun.

kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9360545

I want to share my picture of my camelia Yultide, it is in full bloom. It was just sitting there for few years, in the last two years grew about 2 feet. I would like to learn how to propagete camelias, it is so many available around me, but the one in the stores cost to much. Etelka

Thumbnail by kiseta

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 17, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9360554

I feel like a slug after reading how much work was accomplished...I'm not a fall gardener...the sap begins running in the spring for me! Etelka, what a pretty shrub to have blooming right now...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9360836

Here's what I found on Google about propagating camellias, Etelka.
http://voices.yahoo.com/how-propagate-camellia-through-cuttings-5573767.html

Marilyn - it's only the urge to get ahead with every garden that keeps me moving in December and any nice winter days. Somehow I convince myself it is possible to be ready for spring and have most of the hard work done before spring actually arrives. I'd rather do hard work when it's cool out than try to do it on the hot days.

It's very nice that we've had these days of soft rain for all the Louisiana irises. They have to love it.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 17, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9360898

I love it more then snow!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9360915

Me, too. I left the house around 9:40, did all my Christmas shopping, and was home before 4 PM. It wouldn't have been as good or as easy if it were snowing. I do love looking at snow and love photography on snowy days but it soon turns brown and that's just not pretty.
kiseta
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 17, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9360926

thank you Pirl, you are very kind to take time to help. Etelka
The picture you have sent me is of the Iris you have sent me last year never bloomed, hope to see it this year.

Thumbnail by kiseta

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 17, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9360936

I am not a snowbunny, never have been. Give me gardening weather! :-)

Thumbnail by Carolyn22   Thumbnail by Carolyn22   Thumbnail by Carolyn22      

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

December 17, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9361014

You're welcome, Etelka. That iris just might need one extra year before it blooms, then it probably will bloom every year.

Such nice photos, Carolyn. Makes me dream of May and June.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 18, 2012

Post #9361356

I love those bright lilies!
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 18, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9361399

Robin

Thank you - the first one is Monte Negro and the second one is one of the Tango lilies. I ordered a bunch of the Tango lilies, so I am not sure which one that is.

Our weather is supposed to turn colder at the end of this week. I had hoped to get out to the garden while the weather was still decent, but I can see that isn't going to happen. Not that I have anything that really has to be done in the garden right now, I just thought it would feel good to dig out there.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

December 18, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9361774

I have always loved lilies, the red lily beetle has made me ill...I still plant many bulbs every year, knowing some will only be annuals...Monte Negro is a great color...
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 18, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9361934

Nice pictures Carolyn, I love Monte Negro, it's one of the first lilies that I grew, and I also have Tango Dot Com. Every spring bleek does a lily co-op, and I get a few more lilies then.

The weather here is colder this week as well, so I think the irises and lilies that I have left to plant are going to wind up in pots.

It will be garden clean up time on the rest of the warm days that we may get. I'm thankful for he colder days that are coming, which will help the peonies, and bulbs that need the chill time. Annette
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9362902

Hi Everyone, I noticed Carolynn mentioned growing c. Mayleen in her northern Pa. garden. Are others able to grow this tribe in zone 5 or further north? I have never tried them but the literature says they are not hardy in the northern climes. I have also wondered, if like other plants if flowering growth is killed but structural growth survives ? I am sure willing to try! Lee
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

December 20, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9362907

Lee

Mine did well for me until the voles decided to dine on the roots of poor Mayleen. I planted mine about 4 feet to the left of my clothes dryer vent. This created a microclimate that allowed Mayleen to flower and thrive. If you are going to try Mayleen- I would definitely utilize the microclimates in your yard.

Carolyn
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 31, 2012
9:50 PM

Post #9371956

Happy New Year everyone. May you all have a wonderful gardening year in 2013.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
5:00 AM

Post #9372039

Ditto!

Is anyone looking for clem's for 2013 yet?

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
5:57 AM

Post #9372068

Thanks Annette for the well wishes, same to you and all our friends here. Arelene, I'll be looking soon as the weather permits. I'm still aiming for replacing my Climbing Roses arbor with Clematis this year. A major 'make over' for the front yard.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
6:21 AM

Post #9372093

Thanks Arlene and Kim. Arlene, here is my list.

Want for Spring 2013:

Clematis Beauty of Worcester
Clematis Kiri Te Kanawa
Clematis Andromeda
Clematis Dancing King
Clematis Veronica's Choice
Clematis Sakala
Clematis Richard Pennell

I've had this list since last year, but now if I order them, I'd have to figure out where to put them. I can't believe I have to say that I'm running out of room ;-)
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 1, 2013
7:01 AM

Post #9372127

Wow! That's an ambitious list!
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 1, 2013
7:28 AM

Post #9372165

Lily Love I am going to do the same thing with a trellis . The climbing rose did nothing but put out branches 10 ft long. I have only had 4 blooms in 5 years. So out it will come this spring, then chicken wire for the clems to climb.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 1, 2013
8:20 AM

Post #9372208

Happy New Year Marie, my task is a little more difficult. My roses arbor adorned with most of my favorite roses, and they've been blooming well. It's just that they're more challening each year (as we grow older) to keep them trimmed and cared for in order to look its best. DH is frustrated having to battle the thorns while climbing up and down the roof (the arbor was placed right in front of our roof line where the gutter needs to be kept free of debris and clog up with fallen leaves from large trees each year). He does the trimming each year at the end of the growing season, thus cut off the rose canes that carry the following season buds... It pained me so to part with my favorite roses such as Climbing Dawn, climbing Don Juan and Cecile Brunner ect. But, consider DH's comfort, I have to chose DH over the Roses.

I best hope is that with careful chosing of climatis for future beauties, and ease of care, will ease the pain of losing my beautiful roses. Time changes, I'll need to adapt with the changes.

Annette, quite impressive a wish list it's! Your garden is going to be a show stopper!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

January 1, 2013
2:12 PM

Post #9372558

I grow the climber John Davis...pink flowers all summer...I do absolutely nothing to it...almost thornless, easy to prune, growing in the shade of an apple tree...actually, it's climbing into the apple tree...Canadian bred, very hardy. I'd love another clem, but have no idea yet which one...
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 4, 2013
4:30 PM

Post #9375652

I am sorry to hear that you will be loosing your roses. I do understand what it like to loose a favorite plant.
The age part I am understanding too, each year I find it harder to do what I use to. The pain in the knees and back, and now the other shoulder tells me, Marie you got to slow down. But Gosh, I sure do like seeing the results of my labor.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9376210

Hello everyone, hope you're all doing well, I took a quick stroll in the garden today to check on the clematis. It's interesting to see that despite the cold weather we're having, some of the clematis are putting out pips. Don't these plants know that it's winter. I hope we don't get the quick warm up like we did last year, that started in late January, and never looked back. It caused everything to bloom much earlier last year.

I had thoughts about doing some work in the garden today, but it's too cold for that. Poor m. Mayleen still is slumped over, yet to be put back up on the drain pipe, but at least it has Camellia Mathotiana to keep it company. Nuccio's Pearl also contnues to bloom in the front garden.

Edited for spelling

This message was edited Jan 6, 2013 5:57 PM

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9376240

There is a limit as to what we can do in the garden so Mayleen may have to remain slumped until you can get to her. Annette, is the color of it lavender or pink. Maybe it's my monitor but it doesn't seem to match the description as far as color:

http://www.gardencrossings.com/plantname/Clematis-Mayleen

Your camellias are so beautiful and anything blooming in winter is a huge bonus for gardeners.

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

January 5, 2013
12:28 PM

Post #9376264

I would love to see anything but snow at this point! I was listening to a garden show on the radio today, & the hosts were saying many plants were confused by the warm fall, some PG rhodos & forsythia began blooming...then a few nights ago the temp went down to zero!
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2013
12:42 PM

Post #9376278

Hey Arlene, my m. Mayleen is a pale pink when in bloom. All that I have right now is a lot of stems from the vine that I posted above. The other pictures are of the Camellias. Annette

This message was edited Jan 6, 2013 5:55 PM

Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165   Thumbnail by Cem9165      

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2013
2:41 PM

Post #9376391

Marilyn - I had spotted a few forsythias starting to bloom and our own rhodie opened a few buds.

Annette - most class 1 clem's are downright ugly at this point. So are ours. Thanks for the help with Mayleen.
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2013
3:30 PM

Post #9376438

The plants really are confused. Maybe they know something that we don't, Mother Nature at its best.

Arlene, you're welcome. I do like the delicate blooms of m. Mayleen, and I've decided I'm not going to cut it back as harshly as I've done in the past. Annette

This message was edited Jan 6, 2013 6:00 PM
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2013
5:20 PM

Post #9380493

Hi Everyone, I hope you are all well. We are fine after getting 16 inches of snow the 26th and 27th. Thapped on a semiproivate road for two days but all is well,we didn't loose power.How did you fare Carolyn? Well my souhern friends I have the Dos. permission to go down south foe Feb and March!!!! We would like to know if there are good Camilia collections in a 50 mile orso radius of Hilton Head? Lee McDonald
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2013
5:58 PM

Post #9380528

Hi Lee

I am well. I hope your holidays were good ones.

Watching the snow melt - hoping it is all gone soon!

Let us know if you see any camellias in Hilton Head

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
2:36 AM

Post #9380699

Hi,I am back to begin 2013 with you.
Snow is melting and I will check my helebores to see if they are going to make it after being cut back.
I know,I know its just geezer mistakes.Maybe the garden gods will be kind.
marie_kap
Williamstown, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2013
5:07 AM

Post #9380749

I have daffodils popping there heads up. I have not checked anything else, Oh Yeh, the Forsythia are blooming too. Now they are going to be really out of wack when spring comes.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
5:17 AM

Post #9380755

I checked 2 helebore plants that=t were free of snow.Looks like they are OK .I believe they will grow new leaves this year.They have bud spikes,a good sign.

Lily_love

Lily_love
Central, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2013
5:58 AM

Post #9380776

Hello Lee, Arlene, Caroline, JoAnn, and everyone. Down South, like where I am and Etelka and Annette, we would have an abundant of Forsythias blooming as well as daffs. By golly, I just had a glimpse of neighbor's Quince that begun to bloom as well. Like everyone already surmised the flowers are really confused! Hope that we will get a decent spring dispite all the confusion.

JoAnn, love those helebore blossoms in early spring. They're quite costly in the market. Arlene, speaking of class 1 Clem. Is Armandii (an evergreen clem.) in class one clem.? I've one on the side yard, and it's a love, though it only bloom once in the spring. Being evergreen, its beauty although subtle, but attractive all year round down here. I've taken a liking of 'Mayleen' Montana ruben (over 'Armandii') for quite some time now, (to rework my front yard arbor) I just read up on DG pfs and almost have my heart set on it... untill you said 'they're just out right ugly' in dormant season... now I'm rethinking my options. I see the large vine on Montana, it's very similar to that of 'Armandii' and SAC's. BTW; My infatuation with SAC is over, from here on out, I'll spend time pulling up their seedlings for they've taken over everything around here in my zone. Another question regarding 'Mayleen'; being a hybrid, do they carry viable seeds? Most hybrids are sterile, but I've two stray seedlings in the garden that I love, they look like they've reverted back to their species parentage, and are quite pleasing to the eyes when in bloom. These seedlings are true herbacious, in that they go dormant and disappear in late fall, and re-sprout in early spring.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

January 10, 2013
7:06 AM

Post #9380842

I'm sure the hellebores will be fine, Jo...they're hardy devils...Wish I was going to Hilton Head, Lee...have fun!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2013
9:15 AM

Post #9380956

Marilyn ,one of them is one you gave me.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9380977

New thread for a new year. Let's hope it's a healthy, happy one for all of us.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1293322/
GREENSIDEUP
Big Flats, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2013
10:34 AM

Post #9381028

Hi Everyone, I also really love the early hellebore s. The snow is melting very rapidly and ill for the next two days and they look fine. I usually trim back any ratty looking foliage when I see buds. I also look forward to my three Hy bred Heathers, they are all Vulgaris hybs. the red one blooms in mid. deb snow and all!
It looks very nice crawling in and out and over of a small leaved prostrate juniper and beside a small leaved Boxwood. Lee

Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   Thumbnail by GREENSIDEUP   

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Clematis Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vine fence barrykooda 48 Sep 4, 2009 1:59 PM
Nelly Moser up a crabapple hczone6 11 Mar 29, 2008 3:43 AM
clematis in a pot? anastatia 17 Nov 19, 2010 8:13 AM
Clematis Gardennuttz 7 May 30, 2008 1:01 PM
What are some of your best Clematis? bluegrassmom 69 Dec 28, 2009 11:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America