Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Should i remove autumn crocus from my yard?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 4, Views: 56
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Super65
Belton, TX

October 13, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9304047

I am concerned about the possibility of poisoning to animals or children from Colchicum autumnale. Does this plant pose a legitimate threat to their safety?
I have already decided to remove oleander. What about nandina, english ivy, lilly, boxwood, ligustrum. Am I being overly cautious? Should these plants be removed?

Thumbnail by Super65
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9304089

You're probably being a bit overly cautious--but only you know how cautious you need to be and what will make you comfortable. If you have kids/pets that tend to get into things and you tend to leave them unsupervised in the yard then it's probably best to play it safe and get rid of anything poisonous. Many poisonous plants though need to be consumed in a decent quantity before they'd cause serious harm, and most of them taste bad enough that probably nobody would eat enough to get to that point. The oleander I think was good to get rid of though because it is quite poisonous and also has caustic sap which could burn someone if they broke off a branch.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9306892

I think you may have your plant confused with something else?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchicum_autumnale

billnel
Corvallis, OR
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9326939

From the link you posted: "Colchicum plants have been mistaken by foragers for ramsons, which they vaguely resemble, but are deadly poisonous due to their colchicine content. The symptoms of colchicine poisoning resemble those of arsenic, and no antidote is known."

The OP is right to be concerned. However, I think most of the colchicine is in the corms, not in the flowers.

Animals tend to leave the plant alone. Unless the children like to nibble on pretty flowers, then there should not be any problem.
Sensiblelynne

(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9327906

I would not worry about animals so much, their keen nose tends to keep them safe. Children are another story though, toddlers tend to put everything in their mouths. If they have access to the plants it might be a concern. Many plants are posionous to some degree and we can't dig them all out, best precaution is to supervise the little guys when they are in the garden and remove the worst offenders or those plants they might get access to.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America