Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Need ID of house plant

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 9, Views: 119
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
smithly

October 13, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9304248

It seems that I am not caring correctly for this plant. Can anyone ID it so I can see how best to care for it?
Thanks,
Lee

Thumbnail by smithly
Click the image for an enlarged view.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 13, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9304319

Cordyline fruticosa or Dracaena elegans or Yucca guatamalensis.
TomH3787
Raleigh, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 13, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #9304354

[quote="trackinsand"]Cordyline fruticosa or Dracaena elegans or Yucca guatamalensis.[/quote]

Doesn't look like Cordyline or Yucca and I'm not sure if Dracaena elegans is a valid species. It may however be a dwarf/compact cultivar of Dracaena fragrans.

As for why it's unhappy... some of the older leaves look burned. Was the plant been exposed to bright, direct light or sun and then moved to a shadier location? Another possibility is watering... was the plant either dried out or overwatered in the past? Yet another possibility is fertilizer... too much can burn the foliage. Just a guess.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9304644

oh yes, i meant D. fragrans...
smithly

October 14, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9304842

Thanks, the Dracaena variants look to be the closet guess. Definitely not a Yucca although the way the leaves grow off the stem is reminiscent of one. Yes, it was in direct sun for about a week+ and when I saw the leaf burn I brought it in. It now gets light in the morning through a dual pane window. It gets about a half a liter every other day and I have not been giving it any fertilizer. Thinking it may need fertilizer I wanted to ID it before I put anything on it that may not be helpful.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 14, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9304976

I'd probably check on your watering--half a liter every other day sounds like it could be too much. Before the next time you water, stick your finger down a few inches into the soil and see how it feels--the top of the soil can look dry but down a few inches can still be quite wet and if that's the case then you need to hold off on watering.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9305725

Definitely looks like sunburn on D. fragrans. Likes the first or last 2 hours of sun per day, anything but highly dappled light between those times will likely burn.

Is there another plant at the base? Maybe a Syngonium?
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 15, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9306099

I'd go with a dracaena, but can't tell which one from the picture. If you do a Google Image search for dracaena you should be able to identify which one.

Just pull or cut off the dying leaves, perhaps stake it up, and it should definitely recover from the sunburn and come back nicely if the watering is correct. A light dose of fertilizer would be helpful too, just be sure it's not dry when applied. I've found that watering dracaenas every two weeks, sometimes every three depending on whether they're inside or out, is usually plenty unless you're in a dry climate.

I was having trouble with some of my houseplants in 5 gallon or larger size pots and got one of the cheap $10 water meter sticks. Found out they were dry in the top few inches but still wet, some even soggy, down in the bottom half so I cut way back on my watering and they are doing much better. Now I use the meter to check since the weather and the amount of foliage a plant has also effects how often they need water.
smithly

October 15, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #9306653

Thanks for all the great info. Dracaena fragrans has some lighter color in the center of the leaf and the stalks look thicker on the picture that Google provided but it may have been a more mature plant.. I will note the exposure and pick up a water meter stick. I live in AZ and the house is under AC much of the year so it's pretty dry. Yes there are a couple of smaller plants that I need to move to another pot. It was an arrangement that I brought home and am sorting it out.
smithly

October 20, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #9310689

I withheld water for a week and it perked up. Thanks Again All!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America