Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: all those green tomatoes!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 12, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2012
9:19 AM

Post #9304739

Any ideas on what I can do with them? I hate for them to go to waste! I barely had any good reds fit for canning, what a disappointing year! But now that we have had some rain and temps under 100 degrees, my plants are loaded with greens. I literally have hundreds of big plump green tomatoes that will never have time to ripen before a frost. Actually our average first frost date is tomorrow ;)
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #9304889

If your tomatoes are large enough (especially if they have begun to turn whitish) you can pull your plants up with the roots and hang them upside down in a garage, barn, whatever, and the tomatoes will ripen. If you can't do that, I've layered them in brown paper bags and left them in a cool room in the house and almost all of them ripened. You have to keep checking them so you can pick out any that may go bad. And if there are too many, there's always green tomato relish.
MissLadyBugsGar
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 14, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9305313

I see that you are a canner! Have you tried pickled green tomatoes? I have a recipe for them on my blog if you want to give it a try: http://www.missladybugsgarden.com/4/post/2012/03/pickled-green-tomatoes.html

Miss Lady Bug
www.missladybugsgarden.com

Thumbnail by MissLadyBugsGar
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #9305358

Thanks so much for your ideas! I already have a couple hanging in the garage. My hubby will be thrilled, there's dirt everywhere LOL! They touch the floor they are so huge! I am also gonna try the paper bag idea. About how many do you put per bag? Miss Lady bug, I have never tried pickled green tomatoes, but I plan too! I'd already been looking for canning recipes. I think I'll try yours and a relish recipe I found Thanks!

That should put a dent in them, but I will still have plenty! Maybe I can freeze them?
MissLadyBugsGar
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 15, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9306306

You are welcome! I like battering and frying them up... it's like a cross between a fried green tomato and a fried pickle. Yum!
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 15, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9306559

Ohhh... another great idea! I do love some fried green tomatoes! I'll be sure and can some fat slices for frying too! Thanks!
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #9307726

I put three layers of tomatoes if they're medium size and two if they are large. I put brown paper or newspaper between the layers. My mom used to wash her ripe tomatoes, dry them, and put them in freezer bags in the freezer. She said that when she took them out to use in recipes, the skins would split as they thawed so it was easy to remove the skins. I never tried it but she loved it because she was "getting too old for all that canning" :-}
lindasch100
Chino Valley, AZ

October 27, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9317423

there is green tomato bread. I also have many green tomatos and googled, found green tomato bread. Very similar to zuchinni bread. I plan to bake all day tomorrow.
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 28, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9318304

Let is know how it turns out. Can you post a link to the recipe if you have a chance
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9319745

I thought my garden was completely done when I picked everything clean last week - I just haven't cleared out the old plants and tilled for the winter yet.

Then we had a light frost a couple of nights ago, enough to freeze and wither my tomato plants - and I could see a bunch of small green tomatoes that had been hidden by the foliage and weren't damaged by the cold. Another picking, and I fried the LAST of this year's green tomatoes for tonight's supper. GOOD!

We have an electric stove in the kitchen, and I've found it's better to fry tomatoes on the side burner of our gas barbecue outdoors. I have a big cast iron camping skillet, and I fry the 'maters in peanut oil after my wife breads the slices with flour and a little corn meal. I don't know how hot I get that skillet on the gas burner, but it's a lot hotter than I can achieve on the electric stove indoors. The tomatoes and other fried foods absorb very little oil when fried at high temperature - I had about as much peanut oil left in the skillet when I was done as when I started.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

November 8, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9327923

And if you REALLY want to kick those fried green tomatoes up a notch, try them with some Boar's Head Remoulade sauce. Out of this world!!!
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

January 1, 2013
10:41 AM

Post #9372341

I often pick tomatoes green before the frost hits them, then store them in a cool dark place laid out on newspaper, and covered with a single sheet of news paper, Many will ripen slowly, and give you a better product that what you can get in the store. We often have tomatoes until the middle of December this way.

I have seen others recommend wrapping each in a layer of newspaper, and storing in a cool place, but I have not tried this.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 1, 2013
1:56 PM

Post #9372541

I used my green tomatoes like this:

Canning: "apple-green tomato relish" (internet recipe)

Freezing: froze a few ziploc baggies of pureed green tomato for a future "green tomato cake" (a spice cake recipe I also got off of internet. I made it last year and it was nice.)

The rest of the green ones I have just waited to redden up.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America