Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Vegetables: POTATOES... what went wrong?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 8, Views: 120
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9304749

the yield was pathetic!!! I grew several varieties and none of them yielded more than a few potatoes! I need to blame this on something LOL! The weathers fault? Now I have to BUY potatoes all Winter UGH! on a related note, my onions were also unusually small.
Moofiepoo
Orlando, FL

October 15, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9305977

Did you have really high temps this summer? That will effect them a good deal. I get very llittle when it is neat 100 for any amount of time.
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

October 15, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9306563

Yep! I knew I could blame the weather lol . Hottest summer on record! It was cooler in Florida! It was over 100 for 2 months! Thanks! Mystery solved!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9307019

It could also be the particular variety of potato you grew...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9309858

Definately temp. related, I plant potatoes around St. Patricks day. It mite freeze after that but the tops usually come back and keep producing tubers. Your summer was hotter then ours and I would NEVER even consider planting potatoes in the summer here. At least your summers aren't usually that hot!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 7, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9326775

Also drought- Illinois stayed dry longer- later this year in all that heat, rains came late in season
nancynursez637
Madras, OR

November 18, 2012
3:22 AM

Post #9335992

Potatoes need fertilizer, consistent water and hilling up. I hill mine about 3x a season, and leave them until the vines are dead down. I also had pick potato beetles off the plants and drown them in a jug of water with a lid on it. (they stink) They will sap the plant of strength, and eat off the potato blooms.
Jim41
Delhi, LA

November 19, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9337751

I had never grown potatoes until a couple of years ago. The first year ok but not a bunch. One of my buddies, who raises a lot of potatoes, to till in a lot of 0-20-20 fertilizer before planting and then side dress with 8-8-8 after they are growing good. Made a bunch.
Ozark
Ozark, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 25, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9342229

I agree about tilling in 0-20-20 fertilizer before planting potatoes, then side-dress with something similar to 8-8-8 when they're half grown.

I till in the fertilizer so the ground is good and soft, then I cut a trench only about 2" deep with the corner of a hoe. I plant my potatoes in the trench, cover them over, then walk the length of the rows to pack the soil down. The same day I plant I run soaker hoses on top of the ground right beside those trenches, as potatoes really do need even watering.

When the plants are 2 or 3 inches high, I cover the rows with about 6" of straw then spinkle soil loosely on top of the straw. After that, I hill them up with soil only but the rows have that soft center of straw so the 'taters grow big and are easy to dig. Since the straw is in contact with my soaker hoses, the straw stays damp from my running the soaker hoses every couple of days - and that helps maintain an even moisture level at the roots of the plants.

I'm just one state over from Illinois, and I'd never try to grow potatoes through our hot summers. I plant 'em in March, harvest 'em in May or early June, and then re-fertilize, till, and plant sweet corn on the same patch of ground.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America