Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

African Violets and Gesneriads: Tell me about the Russians

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 2, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Vadis
Alum Bridge, WV

October 14, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9304835

The other day I saw some very impressive images of Russian AVs. I had no idea that such things existed...Please share background on them or web sites where I can learn about them. Whowww!
EarleG
Sanbornton, NH

October 15, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9306217

Hi Vadis,

I will start out by telling you that the Russian AVs are some of the most beautiful out there. The breeders there have done things with the blooms that I have seen nowhere else. That being said, I will also tell you that I have spent a good bit of money on Russian AV leaves. I have little trouble propagating standard african violets, but I have yet to be successful with the Russians. I have gotten not one plant from the leaves. I think my next course of action will be to purchase some plants. I am starting to see them available from reputable dealers like Violet Barn. I will be trying them again, but they have frustrated me.

Hope this helps.

Earle
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9306344

I have grown a few.They have beautiful blooms,but I am not crazy about the foliage on many of them.They are starting to be offered everywhere.Some of the Russian sites have some gorgeous pictures to look at.
Lynn

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America