Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Grass and Bamboo: What's the best approach for identifying ornamental grasses?

Communities > Forums > Grass and Bamboo
bookmark
Forum: Grass and BambooReplies: 4, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9304870

My neighbor has a number of ornamental grasses that I'd like to identify (in part because they are reseeding into my yard!). For example, she has some plants that I am quite sure are Miscanthus sinensis. But I'd like to know the cultivar. I have an "encyclopedia" of ornamental grasses, but it doesn't give as much detail as I would like. Any suggestions as to books that would help me?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9305127

That's tough, because there are several cultivars of miscanthus that are very similar, but bloom time, width and height are the distinctions, along with width of stripe. And many have been produced, for marketing purposes, that are similar to older cultivars (many of which are actually better). I have several encyclopedias, but they don't really help,

If hers are older, say ten years, and very fine, they are probably gracillimus, which many consider to be the best. I love this grass to death. It's the one featured in Japanese paintings. It's really never been topped. It blooms in October, has burgundy plumes, and is 30 inches across the bottom.

Pic 1 is in July
Pic 2 is in October, when it blooms. This is 8. Is there anything like this in her yard?

But grass that quite often seeds, and which is widely available, a little older, and which landscapers put in, is Silberfeder. It's 60 inches across the base, and has a slight tendency to flop.

Pic 3 is in July. It's on the right. This is 1. It's huge.
Pic. 4 is in September, in the center, when it blooms.

Close?

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9305390

Donna -- you have saved me once again. I think it must be gracillimus. Some of the blooms are on the white side; others have more color. It isn't flopping. But it definitely reseeds, because some large plants are now growing in my yard which I definitely didn't plant, and I'm worried that it is going to take over!

I took some photos. I haven't downloaded them yet and I don't know if they are any good, but if they are I'll post them.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 15, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9305681

Do send me the pics. The blooms turn white after they mature.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9306351

Ahh -- I hadn't been watching them -- I thought the purple ones were the mature ones (white to purple) -- I guess it is the reverse (purple to white).

The attached pictures are not great -- but it is not dark AND rainy, so I can't do any better for the moment!

I looked again at your pictures -- I'm still not certain. I'll take a measuring tape to it tomorrow.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2012 5:43 PM

Thumbnail by happy_macomb   Thumbnail by happy_macomb   Thumbnail by happy_macomb   Thumbnail by happy_macomb   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Grass and Bamboo Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bamboo stakes tiG 10 Nov 3, 2011 1:16 PM
Black bamboo question linden 51 Aug 6, 2008 3:15 PM
Hardy bamboos at zone 6 Esther_z6 21 May 6, 2008 12:31 AM
A few clumps of my grass :) hczone6 32 Sep 5, 2007 2:47 AM
Bamboo Seedling Speedyg 2 Feb 16, 2008 3:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America