Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Bird Watching: The Loon I Met

Communities > Forums > Bird Watching
bookmark
Forum: Bird WatchingReplies: 4, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Canadensis7
Toronto area, ON
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9304913

Hi. It's hard to find or hear loons predictably anymore, and so I was breathless one early morning when I ventured out in the canoe with my camera in the Lanark Highlands, in Ontario. This beautiful bird appears to be nobly fixed upon a pool of liquid gold in the early morning sunlight, appropriately so for the Great Northern Loon (Gavia immer).

Thumbnail by Canadensis7
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ducbucln
Kelseyville, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9307958

Congratulations on finding this beauty and getting such a pretty capture of it.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

October 17, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9308536

I agree, they are not as common as they use to be. Great find!
I did see a little family this summer, on a lake near here. The last time I had seen some, was about 20 years ago. What I've been seeing on the lakes around here were mostly Merganser, Mallards, Goldeneyes, Wood ducks and Ring-necked, and Black ducks. So I was very please to see the Loon.
pestee42
Molino, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9309051

How nice. I love loons, especially their haunting and beautiful sound.
linthicum
Linthicum Heights, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9312369

I really thought they were more plentiful up North. I guess not. I rarely see one here in Maryland and only then as they are passing through. I seem to recall they were more plentiful on one of my visits to Maine years ago. A beautiful bird ...

I did read recently that The Common Loon is considered a Species of Special Concern in New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts, but listed as Endangered in Vermont and Threatened in New Hampshire and Michigan.

Nice early morning photo.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Watching Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Best Trees and Shrubs for the Bird Garden? tabasco 234 Jul 2, 2011 1:55 AM
Show me your feeders!...Part 2.... Sheila_FW 302 Nov 12, 2010 11:27 AM
Rose-breasted Grosbeak DonnaB 47 Jul 8, 2011 1:39 AM
Cedar Waxwing Photos duckmother 13 Oct 17, 2007 1:38 AM
Trumpeter Swans Grasmussen 17 Sep 7, 2008 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America