Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Tomatoes: End of season cleaning up, companion planting & other stuff

Communities > Forums > Tomatoes
bookmark
Forum: TomatoesReplies: 2, Views: 34
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9305092

I spent part of the afternoon pulling up the remains of this years' tomato plants, with the exception of a couple of plants with some Sun Sugars hanging on, bless their hearts, and a Better Boy I'm still picking some green and pinkish tomatoes from every few days.

#1 - I hosed down my Texas Tomato cages but wondered if you folks do anything else 'special' to your cages before stsoring them for the winter.

#2 - Next to my vegetable garden I have a cutting garden plus some perennials and herbs. I love zinnias, both for their late season color and the fact they re-seed themselves and I almost never have to re-plant anything, just re-locate some of the seedlings. But they are prone to fungal disease in our hot, humid south. I haven't seen anything that says tomatoes and zinnias are necessarily 'bad' companion plants but just wondered if the fungus on the zinnias, even though I try to keep them at least 10 feet apart is close enough to be affecting the tomatoes.

Would appreciate anyone's advice and experience on both counts. And feel free to hijack this thread afterward with your own questions/comments about tomato gardening.

Thanks,
Elaine

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9306600

Have you had trouble with fungus on your tomato plants?
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #9306808

Mostly late blight I think this year but I'm wondering if it was something else too that I haven't identified yet. I'm still trying to figure it out.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America