Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Orchids: Tiny orchid rebloom...

Communities > Forums > Orchids
bookmark
Forum: OrchidsReplies: 11, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9305687

I bought this tiny orchid earlier in the year blooming. It eventually lost all the blooms. It has just started reblooming again. How many times a year do they do this?

Thumbnail by PamelaQ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9305696

Tolumnias usually bloom once a year, mostly during winter, but can rebloom on the old spikes that remain green. A good reason to not cut off the spikes until they look like straw and only that part. If it is blooming on a new spike it is just a little confused about the weather. These like to get wet frequently and then dry quickly and should be grown in small clay pots.
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9305711

Thanks for the information. I wasn't paying attention to see if it bloomed off an old spike, as I thought it was done for the year. I was thrilled to see it blooming! The clay pot it is in is real tiny and root bound. I don't know if I should repot later after blooming ends. Do they like to be root bound?

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9305990

I'd have to see the plant in its pot to advise you. Tolumnias are twig epiphytes. They grow hanging from tree twigs. In situ they get lots of rain during the rainy season but dry out quickly. Being potted in a medium that stays wet for even a day or two will make these very short lived. Many professional grower friends say they can't grow them but they grow well for me. They grow well in a tiny pot and on a chunk of untreated coal, a piece of lava rock or a hunk of wood as opposed to fine bark. Never sphagnum! They also like a very bright position. Here are a few of mine from previous years. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9079886 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8929595 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8410842 http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7784030
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9305997

I'll take a picture of the pot it's in when I get home later and post. I love your orchids. Just beautiful!
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9306004

:) Thank you.
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9306336

I'm holding the pot to show size.

Thumbnail by PamelaQ

PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9306337

This is the inside.

Thumbnail by PamelaQ

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9306357

It has tons of space and the spikes are new. And yes, orchids like to be more root bound than other potted plants. Actually, it's not so much that they like to be root bound...they'd rather have their roots hanging free, but most orchids hate being in a pot full of medium that keeps the roots constantly wet. If Tolumnias rebloom they do it lower down the spike. It appears to be growing in charcoal, which is perfect. Make sure you water it several times a week but don't let the pot stand in any water. Did it come with a tag? Where did you get it? If you like these flowers then you might enjoy their larger relatives, Oncidiums.

It's a good thing you posted this thread. I see several of mine are starting to spike and need attention. One has three spikes but the tips of the spikes were jammed up against the greenhut wall.
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9306382

The tag says Tolumnia Jairak and the other side of the tag says Better-Gro (www.better-gro.com) which I guess is who grew it. I think I got it at Lowe's. I will have to check out the Oncidiums.
PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9306388

This is a picture of it I took a week ago. So I guess I just leave it in the same little pot? It does look healthy now. I just want to keep it that way. I thought it was through blooming and decided to feed it a little african violet liquid food. Of course it just ran right through this charcoal. But a couple weeks or so later these little buds started! :)

Thumbnail by PamelaQ

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 15, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9306392

Jairak is the name of a huge series of Tolumnia hybrid varieties with other names attached, marketed extensively by Better Gro and sold at Lowes. I have several. I might have that one or be able to identify it at another time. Check out mjsponies post http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=8993394 Dyzzy also has some further down the line.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America