Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Ask A Gardener: Your Gardening Questions Answered: The best way to get rid of moles....

Communities > Forums > Article: Ask A Gardener: Your Gardening Questions Answered
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ask A Gardener: Your Gardening Questions AnsweredReplies: 2, Views: 23
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gardeningman
Kingman, KS

October 15, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9305819

I have found that the best way to get rid of moles and voles is a common house cat. My parents had a spade female, and they hardly ever had a mole or gopher in their yard. I once had a neutered male cat and also hardly ever had a problem with moles, voles, mice, rats, or gophers. The only down side to using housecats as mole exterminators, is that they exterminate all other species of backyard wildlife too. My male cat unfortunately succeeded in destroying an entire nest of blue jays (just the babies, not the parents.) The other day I saw a neighbor's housecat pull an American Goldfinch out of the air when it was dive-bombing the cat. Others may be of a different opinion, but imho a housecat is the only effective long-term method that I know of to keep your yard mole, vole and gopher free.
tucks
Bransgore
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9305872

In the U.K we had a very popular comic by the name of Jasper Carrot and his story of how to remove moles still makes me laugh.
We still have mole catchers who use traps they used to use arsnic but that is now banned.
Various plants such as Eurphorbia are said to repel moles and there are masses of what we would call old wifes tails about the removal of the gentlemen in velvet from childrens windmills to bottles. But as far as I am concerned he does should be allowed to get on with his life as long as he stays away from my lawn.

This message was edited Oct 15, 2012 4:11 PM
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

October 15, 2012
10:08 AM

Post #9305968

I had always allowed my cats to enjoy the bounty of Mother Nature, until the horrible day that one of them became MN's bounty for a coyote!!!!!!!! HUGE circle of orange/white fur told me not to look any further!!!!!!! No more outside cats!!!!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ask A Gardener: Your Gardening Questions Answered Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Overwintering amaryllis pastapicker 1 Oct 15, 2012 12:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America