Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict: Separated at Birth?

Communities > Forums > Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict
bookmark
Forum: Article: True Confessions of a Gardening AddictReplies: 1, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
drini7
Santa Fe, NM

October 15, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9305895

OMG, I need someone to come take my debit card away from me!! Just when I thought I was out, the crocus bulbs pulled me back in. As I write this, I anxiously await the rest of my tulip/daffodil order, followed by 5 bare root peonies. The crocus order just happened yesterday so they'll be along next week. Mercifully, I deleted the extra hyacinths I had spontaneously added.

I'm SO addicted to plants that I completely recognize the daze you describe in visiting ANY nursery or plant retailer. I was a landscape designer for many years and the Siren Song lure of plants is just too strong for me to ignore.

Additionally, I worked part time at one of those "big box" plant departments, displaying their flats, shrubs and trees according to their Plantogram. Unfortunately, they do NOT train people to water correctly which wouldn't require that much so lots and lots of waste.

The manager would have the underpaid and careless watering people watering what had already received a ton of rain water while ignoring the parts under the roof that had not been watered. I could write a book on how much money is thrown away by slip shod watering practices by the big boys. But it feeds our addictions so I guess it's okay. Maybe we should all have an intervention?
JaxFlaGardener
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 4, 2013
12:57 PM

Post #9375411

Thanks, drini7, for sharing and identifying. I agree, it is a shame that there is so much corporate waste of plants due to a simple task like training someone to water properly. But as you mentioned, the distressed plants on the 50% - 75% off racks at the big box stores do provide me with a less expensive means to satisfy my addiction, so when I see the attendants dousing rosemary plants in non-draining containers or hosing down the cacti and succulents with gallons of water or withholding water from the plants that really need it, I just think to myself that there will be another whole slew of plants to adopt soon. (Except in the case of rosemary with wet roots -- I've never been able to get one of those to grow after the rosemary has stood in water for even a short amount of time).

Enjoy!

Jeremy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: True Confessions of a Gardening Addict Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Plant Addicts Unite! chrissy100 35 Oct 29, 2007 1:19 AM
Jeremy, what a saga! Happy_1 11 Oct 28, 2007 3:09 PM
By request: Enlargeable photos - 1 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 4:54 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 2 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 6:43 PM
By request: Enlargeable photo 3 JaxFlaGardener 3 Nov 4, 2009 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America