Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: If tomatoes had anthracnose, can they go in compost?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 8, Views: 72
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

October 15, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9305958

I'm pretty sure that one of the 4 varieties of tomatoes I planted had anthracnose. They were sick and inedible at any rate and looked like the anthracnose pics in the Vegetable Gardener's Bible. Normally, when I do fall clean-up, I put veggie plant remains (stalks, leaves, chipmunk-chewed fruits, etc.) in the compost. But, if I put the anthracnose tomatoes in the compost and then later use the compost in the garden, will I be spreading anthracnose via the compost?? Or, will the composting process somehow kill the anthracnose?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9306607

I wouldn't I don't put any of my veggie plants in the compost pile. I've found that I have less bugs and I've always been told to burn or throw out veggie plants especially tomato plants. I wouldn't take the chance.
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 15, 2012
10:28 PM

Post #9306674

I wouldn't do it, especially if there's any chance the compost will be used on tomatoes. If nothing else, unless you're absolutely sure the compost got hot enough to kill them, you'll likely be spreading hundreds of tomato seeds - and they are from a variety susceptible to anthracnose.

-Rich
Garden_Sass
Central, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9306753

It's OK to put healthy vegetable plant matter in the compost bin - NOT diseased plants of any kind or weeds that have mature seed heads! Compost piles that don't go through heat cycles of at least 165 degrees can harbor disease spores and viable weed seeds.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 16, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9306754

According to the Univ.of MN, compost piles do not get hot enough to kill anthracnose.
http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/p227bean-anthracnose-rust.html

I don't use any diseased plant material in my compost pile at all. Even things which technically will get killed in the compost process may not get killed in *my* compost process, and the disease pressure is too high here to do anything which helps the disease along.
rjogden
Gainesville, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 16, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9306947

Optimally, if you had the space, time and energy, the best solution would be to maintain several compost beds so that you would be putting the vegetable compost on the ornamentals or fruit trees and vice versa. You'd still need to keep track of potential cross-infection - some might surprise you - but it would be a better solution. Alternately, some people have reported success with worm beds. A vibrantly healthy organic medium and intelligent, thoughtful approach can sometimes solve problems that the government-sponsored organizations don't think of. Not a knock on them - they are working within a different framework, that's all.
ShaynaPearl
Maynard, MA

October 16, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9306999

Thanks for your great, informed, thoughtful responses. Now I won't feel guilty trashing the stuff.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

October 21, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9311255

I never put my tomato plants in the compost, I ALWAYS bag and trash them. Even in years where they look like there is no blight on them. Tomato plants just get too many fungal deseases why risk spreading any?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 31, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9321637

I burn mine in an old grill ,dirty , effective, about the same as the bugs!!lol

If the ashes seem clean enough those go into compost or soil I won't be using and a few of the flowers enjoy it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America