Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Thinking Ahead 102: Planning Now for Fall Color & Winter Interest: Burning bush

Communities > Forums > Article: Thinking Ahead 102: Planning Now for Fall Color & Winter Interest
bookmark
Forum: Article: Thinking Ahead 102: Planning Now for Fall Color & Winter InterestReplies: 1, Views: 11
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pastapicker
Columbus, OH

October 15, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9306033

I believe that I have read that this shrub is now considered an undesirable invasive; just like japanese honeysuckle, birds spread the seeds far and wide, and in natural areas it is starting to crowd out native understory plants. Blueberries do make a great substitute as long as you can acidify the soil enough (I have to grow them in tubs).

LOL, my experience with ivy and wintercreeper (and pachysandra and virginia creeper) is not "may" become invasive, but *will* become invasive!! in terms of spreading far beyond their intended boundaries the minute I turn my back!
missingrosie
Hillsborough, NC

October 15, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9306266

Burning bush has been on my "don't buy" list for a long time. --along with nandina. But I sure like both.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Thinking Ahead 102: Planning Now for Fall Color & Winter Interest Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great article! darius 3 Mar 13, 2008 12:40 PM
Fantastic! art_n_garden 0 Mar 12, 2008 1:44 AM
Corylus avellana 'contorta' jsmanycars 1 May 19, 2008 4:35 PM
silvery sunproof liriope Lillirosa 2 Apr 13, 2009 3:14 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America