Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Propagation: How fast can I reintroduce rooted cuttings to sunlight?

Communities > Forums > Propagation
bookmark
Forum: PropagationReplies: 1, Views: 54
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
2QandLearn
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 15, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9306175

The plant is Violet Trumpet Vine:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1279765/

I got 4 cuttings to root in potting soil in the shade,
by keeping them in humid conditions, outside.

The stems were awfully skinny, & I doubted anything would come of them, but 4 surprized me. (: (They are only 1 to a few inches tall each, as the cuttings consisted of the ends of branches, and most of them were too skinny & new to work with.)

No new leaves have formed in the total shade...there are just those that were already on them before the cuttings were taken. (I didn't see how much sun they were getting before they were cut, as they were given to me already cut.)

I would like to know just how careful I need to be in reintroducing them to sunlight...

How fast, and how much sunlight, should I initially reintroduce them too?

The vine they are off of is on the west side of a front porch, in the IE of S. CA
if that matters, growing on a trellis.

Thank You! (:
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 31, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9321220

I'd probably wait until you start to see new growth--until then I would assume they're still working on developing roots and I definitely wouldn't want to give them too much sun before their root systems have had some chance to develop. Once you see a little new growth, then you need to adjust them gradually to higher levels of light just like you would with seedlings. It doesn't really matter how much sun they were getting before, if you've had them in the shade for a while it's safest to pretend they've never been in the sun and start from scratch getting them adjusted.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 281 Jun 13, 2011 9:12 AM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America