Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Texas Gardening: Good morning, Sunshine. (not)

Communities > Forums > Texas Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Texas GardeningReplies: 10, Views: 134
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9306923

Each morning when I go out to water my porch plants, this is what I see. I have about 10 of the little 4 inch pots there with very little dirt in them, and this little guy spends the night in them. lol Problem is, I'm always startled, because he chooses a different one every night, and when I see he's not where I saw him last time, I figure he's just moved on.. I start moving the little plants aside, so I can be sure to get water in each one, and WHOA! There he is.
perkoschilefarm
Ben Wheeler, TX

October 16, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #9307140

Hehe he's cute! I love toads, frogs and only wish I had some where I am now.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 16, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9307190

I think he's cute. Toad lover here, too.
sweetmommy
Fulshear, TX
(Zone 9b)

October 17, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9307729

How cute! I'll bet you don't have many bugs in those pots.
sybram
Burleson, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 17, 2012
6:56 PM

Post #9308431

Hahaha, no I don't, sweetmommy.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9309864

I have one of those too, and yes,it startles me everytime. Lol. It's on my back deck and Im still trying to figure out how it gets up the stairs. Its only there is the warm months, during the winter there aren't any plants back there. I still have bugs,but probably not as many.
steadycam3
Houston Heights, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9311712

What a treasure he is! I had one once who lived in the bottom of the self watering pot. I dont see very well and I reached down to wipe the "mud" off the lip of the saucer and it jumped out. From then on, I did not bother him. We dont have as many frogs or toads as we once did around my house. I still hear the little peeper frogs pretty often but hardly any toads. The little peepers will answer you if you mimic their "peep" but they soon get the song so complicated I cant copy it.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 22, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9312262

We had a toad at our house for about four years. We called him "the cunning toad" as managed to survive the dogs and snakes and owls and all. But he dissapeared this past spring and I miss him =(>.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 22, 2012
9:16 PM

Post #9312742

What's a toad's natural life span? Can some tell me how they get up the steps to my back deck? I just can't picture it.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2012
12:55 PM

Post #9313303

According to the animal files, maybe 10 years. But mostly one year.

http://www.theanimalfiles.com/amphibians/toads/american_toad.html

Cunning Toad had it going on. I hope he had children and maybe one will come to take his place.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9313640

As they all look alike to me I can't tell if this is the same one or a different one. Lol. I do have to rescue them from the animal watering bowl sometimes. We have a small hole in the concrete near the A/C units and a bunch live in there. I wish they would eat the scorpions before they come in the house! I have to admit I really enjoy the toads that live around the house, but when I find them in the little pots it always catches me by surprise.

Thank you for the link Terri, everything around here seems to die of old age.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Texas Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
who grows peonies in houston area? vossner 20 Jun 18, 2012 7:58 PM
Texas Invasives List PvillePlanter 18 Mar 14, 2014 5:34 PM
Anyone Up For A Chat? dstartz 29 Jun 30, 2007 5:44 PM
DGrs in SW houston vossner 5 Dec 29, 2013 2:55 PM
Mock Orange in a big pot? mkjones 21 Aug 15, 2011 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America