Photo by Melody

Container Gardening: Any recommendations for Christmas tree for patio container?

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 12, Views: 91
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9307103

I'd like to grow 1 (or 2 or 3) trees that I can decorate as Christmas trees in the winter (just lights, really), and that will sit on my patio. In a perfect world they would grow quickly to, say, 6' or 8', and then stay that tall (I know, I may be dreaming). And they would have a nice conical shape, but maybe still be a little airy. And look nice all year round. Any suggestions?
KayJones
Panama City Beach, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 22, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #9312505

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/342/#b

Norfolk Island Pine makes a beautiful houseplant AND can be decorated for all holidays!

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 22, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9312650

Tough question - most conifers bronze up quite a bit in the winter and lose that nice green color you'd be looking for ...

Al
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9312924

Thanks for the suggestion, Kay, but I don't think that'll work for me. The Norfolk Island Pine is lovely, but I want to leave these outside year-round, and the Norfolk Island Pine won't make it here...

Thanks for your input Tapla -- I so value your thoughts! That's my worry -- that I'd be decorated a sick looking pup!

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9313201

After some looking: "Thuja occidentalis 'Techny': A pyramidal shaped arborvitae with excellent green color year round - virtually no color change / bronzing at all. Techny has also shown very good cold hardiness - good choice for cooler climates. Delicate, fernlike foliage makes Techny a wonderful choice for screens & hedge applications. Often preferred over Emerald Green Arborvitae for its better color retention, and foliage density when mature. Foliage density starts out much more "open" than Emerald Green, but thickens tremendously with age, providing good screening. Has been an extremely popular selection in northern gardens, and is slowly being used in many other areas as well. Originally discovered in Mission Gardens, Techny , Illinois."

It would have a tendency toward airiness as a young plant, but you could trump that tendency by regular pinching.

Al

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #9313261

Thank you!!! That one sounds great.

I also found a Pinus mugo "Tannenbaum" -- http://plants.bachmanslandscaping.com/12070012/Plant/5220. But it needs full sun, so I'd have to push the envelope on that one!

Or a Picea pungens 'Hoopsii', http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/1954/hoops-blue-spruce.php. Apparently it can take a bit more shade. It will get too big for a container, but maybe I'll just deal with that when the time comes...

This message was edited Oct 23, 2012 2:22 PM
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9313311

Or maybe Picea glauca var. albertiana 'Conica'? http://www.bloomriver.com/home/br2/page_828_7/picea_glauca_var._albertiana_conica.html.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 23, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9313382

You can keep any conifer very small and compact with regular (annual/semi-annual) pinching with very little effort. The key to long term health is going to be found in learning how to maintain the root system, if you don't already know.

For more info: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1055230/#postreply

Al

This message was edited Oct 23, 2012 4:54 PM
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9313540

But if I pinch it, will it maintain a conical shape?

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9313784

Mmhmm. Pinching evergreens helps you manage their energy flow. All parts of the plant won't have the same amount of energy allocated to them. For instance, the conical plants will be very apically dominant and might have 2/3 of their energy directed toward the upper 1/3 of the plant. That's how they grow tall and narrow. When it comes time to limit the plant's ht, 2/3 of your pinching attention will be concentrated in the upper 1/3 of the tree so you don't lose control of the plant.

The key though, is being able to keep the plant happy over the long term so you HAVE something to pinch. ;-)

BTW - pinching doesn't necessarily have to be done with your fingers. Pinching is a form of pruning, and all it means is you are removing apices (growing points on branches) to either curtail elongation of the branches or force back-budding behind where you pinch. It's how growers who produce evergreens for Christmas trees maintain fullness & a nice conical shape.

Al
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9313886

I have so much to learn...

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

October 24, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9314306

What better time then to start than now? ;-)

Most people when asked, what is the true organ of sight, would say the eyes. But wouldn't knowledge give the eyes a run ...?

Learning what you can, when you can, sure beats being bit on the butt by your mistakes (experience/ trial & error) as the preferred way of gaining knowledge.

Al
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 24, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9314669

Oh I so agree -- you are preaching to the choir. Just wish I had more time ...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 423 May 5, 2013 3:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America