Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Pet friendly fertilizer

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 32
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tsitra
St Petersburg, FL

October 16, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9307112

Any recommendations for fertilizer that won't make my dogs sick if they accidentally eat it? I usually use osmacote or the bayer 2 in 1 systemic rose/flower care. Thanks :)
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9307204

Any organic fertilizers should be OK (fish emulsion, blood/bone meal, etc). A word of caution though--while those things may not harm dogs, I've found that some of them are VERY attractive to dogs and cause my normally well behaved dogs to all of a sudden turn into digging machines, destroying my garden, eating the soil, etc (mine only act like this with organic fertilizers, chemical ones have no interest for them). So while organic might be safer, chemical ferts like the Osmocote or the Bayer stuff may not be as attractive so they wouldn't eat them in the first place.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 18, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9308836

If you're talking about plants in the ground, start a compost pile and focus on improving your soil so you can get away from store-bought gadgets like fertilizer.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 22, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9312370

I agree with purpleinopp and would rather use my own compost that is made all year round from all my garden waist and my household stuff from the kitchen plus shreaded newspapers etc. That way I know what is in my soil but I also try never to refuse any horse manure from any horses and sometimes it's already well rotted down other times it's fresh and I need to stack it and allow it to rot down, any animal manure is ready when it resembles a good crumbling composted soil and there is absolutely no smell from it, then it can be laid on top of the soil OR dig it into the soil where either way it holds in moisture, keeps weeds away, feeds the plants and also act's as a way of adding air to the soil around the roots when dug in, if laid on top of the soil, eventually the worms will take it down under the top soil.
Good luck, Weenel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America