Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Pests and Diseases: Mealy bugs on birch

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 1, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ltalent
New York, NY

October 17, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9307941

I planted a duraheat birch for a neighbor. The tree was left to dry out by mistake early on. It was just recovering when the new growth got hit with mealy bugs. It's been sprayed a couple times now but there are still some. It's the end of the season and next year, it will be better taken care of as irrigation has been added, but is there anything I can do for fall to help make sure they don't return in spring? I will clean up all the leaves and spray a couple more times (neem and/or insecticidal soap). Anything else I should be doing?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9313009

Mealy bugs overwinter as eggs, that hatch as soon as the weather starts to warm up. Keeping an eye on the tree in the spring and treating at the first sign is the only way I know to control them.

http://www.sel.barc.usda.gov/scalekeys/mealybugs/key/mealybugs/media/html/GeneralInfoFSet.html

http://www.ehow.com/about_6125317_life-cycle-mealy-bugs.html

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America