Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Pests and Diseases: What is decimating inside of Desert-Bird-of-Paradise branch?

Communities > Forums > Garden Pests and Diseases
bookmark
Forum: Garden Pests and DiseasesReplies: 5, Views: 58
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
2QandLearn
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9308050

What is (eating?) the inside out of my Desert Bird of Paradise branch . . . ?
Some of the bark has apparently dried up & 'disappeared'.

The only thing I can think of is the bug that usually kills the sunflower bushes around here, which enters the stem, and at the hole you see 'sawdust' as it proceeds to consume the center of its stems. But . . . I also wonder if it could be some king of fungus infection, or perhaps something else. . .

The damaged area is extensive on this plant, as it seems to have eaten out the very center of the branch, as well as the layer between the bark & the core!

A few years back, I saw the same --or similar-- symptoms on an older specimen nearby, which eventually made their way through that entire plant! (If I recall correctly, the owner tried cutting off infected parts, to no avail.)

I'd sure like to know --for sure-- *what* is causing this problem, and, *how* to stop it from happening to other plants. (For now the top continues looking pretty normal, somehow.)

Also, what *all* should I do to this plant to *save* it, if that is plausible. It is only about 5-6 years old, and was a *teensy-tiny* transplant that had come up in another part of the yard.

(I now just use *fresh* seeds & *keep* them moist,
which sprout within 3 days in the heat of summer.)

Thanks to any & all who can shed some light on what I am dealing with, here. I have a row of these plants just inside my back wood fence, and enjoy looking out at them from my desk. (:

Regarding the photos, the directly-affected area is about 7-8 inches long, about 4-5 inches up from the crotch, & about 1-1.5 inches wide.

Thanks Again! (:

This message was edited Oct 17, 2012 2:41 PM

Thumbnail by 2QandLearn   Thumbnail by 2QandLearn   Thumbnail by 2QandLearn
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9310423

I found this info from UC-Davis on Wood decay fungus in Caesalpinia, but couldn't find any info on Borer Pests...all sites said common pests were white fly, mealy bug and aphids

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/GARDEN/PLANTS/caesalpinia.html
2QandLearn
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2012
12:30 AM

Post #9311878

Thank You! I guess it's the 'dry rot'.

Now I need to figure out what to do about it, and, how.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #9311976

Good luck. I am not sure if there is a lot that you can do. From what I read, it starts below ground with the roots and with the BOP, can actually be caused by poor drainage 18 inches below the surface of the soil...I also read about Texas root rot in BOP's...you may have to go to the root source for your answer...
2QandLearn
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2013
10:37 AM

Post #9566290

I think they did get underground water runoff from a ways away (thanks to gophers, no doubt), as a very nearby cacti got 'wet rot' and died after getting cut back. So, last year I cut two BOPs down, due to both showing signs of dry rot. Now I notice that they have both sprung up again, with lush, new, growth 1' tall . . .

No, I didn't dig the roots out, as there was/is a healthy BOP growing close enough that its roots are likely in the same vicinity as those of the plants I cut down, (as well as some Aloes being there). I am hoping that, as long as its roots don't get damaged, it will be able to resist the dry rot. . .

I am also wondering if I am potentially causing more harm for other plants if I let the plants that showed definite signs of dry rot continue to grow, or not.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2013
11:23 AM

Post #9566362

Bravo on the new growth. It sounds like you cut away the problem. I would adopt a wait and see attitude where the other plants are concerned...maybe treat the general area with a fungicide?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America