Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Landscaping: Need mulch suggestions.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 5, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Umgowa
Roswell, GA

October 17, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #9308056

I just planted a bunch of scrubs in my front yard and need some kind of mulch to put on the ground surrounding the plants. I have been thinking about pine straw . . . but I have a lot of leaves and leaves are almost impossible to get off pine straw. You cant blow them because that will blow away the pine straw. I don't like the look of wood chips. Is there some other kind of mulch you can suggest that would make it easier for me to blow the leaves off of it?. Or at least rake the leaves off of it?? Thanks.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

October 17, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9308059

Just shred the leaves and use that for mulch
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 17, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9308126

Ditto. Leaves are nature's intended mulch. Shredded, they stay in place better. But before I had a bagger mower, I just raked them onto the beds. I'm not impressed with pine straw as mulch.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

October 17, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9308513

Pine straw is good for keeping weeds down but doesn't enrich the soil as much as pine bark mulch does over time.
I don't have many leaves in my yard but I think shredding them is a great idea and I would if I could.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 18, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9308872

Helen...in the past I've gone to pulic parks where leaves were abundant (oak realy great)..I had quite a few stares but couldn't care less, I wanted the leaves...lol. If your city collects leaves, it's another great option...On trash collection day...I've driven around the neighborhoods and picked up bags that had leaves in them before the trucks could get them...lol...just a few ideas...I also had neighbors that saved grass clippings for me, they are wonderful as they knit together...

Just a note...if the leaves are in plastic bags...can sit in the sun to dry and makes them easier to crush, just stomp on them...or if (wet-drying) can put in trash can and hit them with a weed eater to break them up...Kathy
helenchild
Decatur, GA

October 18, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9308918

Great suggestions Kathy. Thanks.
Our county collects and composts yard debris each week. The compost is available for pick up and its free. I haven't done that yet.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America