Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
usmcfirefighter
Gages Lake, IL

October 18, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9309221

My grandfather passed away and I want to keep this plant alive the best I can. Can someone please tell me what it is so I can research it, and if possibly you know any info yourself relay it to me thank you so much everyone.

Thumbnail by usmcfirefighter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 18, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9309292

I would suggest posting in the Plant ID forum, you should get an ID on it very quickly there. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/plantid/all/ It's a succulent of some sort though so in terms of care the most important thing is going to be not to water it too much.
chiquib313
Homestead, FL
(Zone 10a)

October 19, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9309980

Your plant is Burro's Tail or Donkey's Tail, Sedum Morganianum. It is a succulent and likes to be rather dry.
Chiqui
parismom
Hopewell, NJ

November 22, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9339809

you can also cut pieces off and stick them right back in the soil!
beavis617
Brooklyn, NY

December 9, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9354195

That's a nice plant I had a few of those...
Glad I stopped by tonight.
This Summer I will try to get another one...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 1, 2013
11:23 AM

Post #9372402

Yes, they are a very unique plant. I have seen those tails almost 30 inches long. If it is in a place where it doesn't get bumped or banged around. Those small whatevers, attachments, fall off easily.
ficuswrangler
St Petersburg, FL

January 4, 2013
2:58 PM

Post #9375568

A couple of things you'll need to be aware of with burro's tails: as a succulent, the most important thing is to not overwater - learn to test the soil all the way to the bottom of the pot with a small bamboo skewer, which should feel dry when you pull it up, before you water again; also, burro's tails don't do well in low or medium light, you'll want to place it near a bright window, south or west facing, and let it hang outside in a shaded spot (never full sun outside) for the summer; they are extremely delicate, the stems will break or the leaves will fall off the stems, at the lightest touch, so keep it somewhere that it won't get bumped.
mariakc
North Decatur, GA

January 5, 2013
1:53 PM

Post #9376344

ficuswrangler wrote:A couple of things you'll need to be aware of with burro's tails: as a succulent, the most important thing is to not overwater - learn to test the soil all the way to the bottom of the pot with a small bamboo skewer, which should feel dry when you pull it up, before you water again; also, burro's tails don't do well in low or medium light, you'll want to place it near a bright window, south or west facing, and let it hang outside in a shaded spot (never full sun outside) for the summer; they are extremely delicate, the stems will break or the leaves will fall off the stems, at the lightest touch, so keep it somewhere that it won't get bumped.

Second the hanging suggestion. The tails can grow multiple feet long--very cool plant!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America