Please ID this plant

Mcallen, TX

Found this plant scattered on hillsides in Comfort, Tx this past weekend. A Mexican Snout Butterfly was enjoying its small white blooms. Can someone tell me what this plant is?

Thumbnail by Fauther Thumbnail by Fauther
Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

The plant is Frostweed, Verbesina virginica, one of my favorites.

Mcallen, TX

Thanks, Josephine! Much appreciated.

You are welcome.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It's native, too!! In the winter, if it freezes, the stalks pop open and the sap seeps out forming ice like formations.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

It also grows in the shade, is a butterfly host plant and nectar plant. Can't say enough about it's atributes. If in your yard where you water, it does get tall, but doesn't mind being cut back in the spring to encourage more flowering come fall.

Thumbnail by Sheila_FW Thumbnail by Sheila_FW Thumbnail by Sheila_FW

Thank you Stephanie ans Sheila for praising the Frostweed, it is a wonderful plant.
Beautiful pictures Sheila.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Josephine, I've fallen in love with it and how well it's done this year in my flower bed. I'm a convert! LOL

Great Stephanie, I think you have quite a few natives, but i will be glad to help you with whatever you are missing.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks to generous DGers from this forum I have several native plants. I keep hoping to expand my garden to add even more!

Brady, TX(Zone 8a)

I've got a few seeds; when to plant? Now, spring?

You can plant either one, but if you only a few seeds plant them in a pot and transplant in the spring.

Brady, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks to you, Mz. Frostweed!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images