Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Vegetable Gardening: Help for leaf damage on brussel sprouts

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 13, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9309590

The leaves on my b. sprouts have various size holes and some shredded-looking leaves but I've never found the culprit(s) -- is there any "protection" to use? Without finding any bugs, etc., would it do any good to spray a bug killer? Any recommendations?

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9309595

A picture may help ID the culprit.

Without knowing what is the muncher, you may not be able to fix the problem. Caterpillars are a top problem with cole crops in the fall, and Dipel (Bt) works for them but is safe for us. Slugs/snails are another possibility; if it's them, you can scatter some iron phosphate (Sluggo) around the plants.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9309616

Just a note. I (and a few others here) have found that Sluggo PLUS works better than the plain Sluggo formula.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 19, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9309701

Sluggo Plus has spinosad, which is highly toxic to mammals. (Bees, too, but when broadcast as granules isn't really a threat to bees and other beneficial insects.) So if you have dogs or cats in your garden (or young children), you don't want to use Sluggo Plus.

Iron phosphate is also toxic to mammals if you ingest it, but you have to eat a *lot* to get seriously ill.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 19, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9309709

So, I guess it's pretty safe the way I'm using it!

Sprinkle a few granules around on the soil bed (or the perimeter) and voila! no more snails, slugs, OR pill bugs nibbling on my stuff!
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 20, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #9310356

Like I said, I haven't been able to find the culprit(s). I've had snails in other areas and have put out Sluggo Plus, which I guess is working, but all the snails I've found have been picked up and put into a container of saline solution and dumped in the trash. I have Bt but evidently it has to be used on the munching party...

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 20, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9310657

You don't have to spray the offending critter with Bt, but they do have to eat the plant. With cole crops, sometimes it's hard to get a spray to stick. A spreader-sticker can help and you do have to repeat the application every few days.
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9311054

Nicole, what's a spreader-sticker?

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9311144

A spreader-sticker is an adjuvant that helps the chemical spread out evenly and stick to the leaves, so what you spray is more effective and you can use less of it. You can buy commercial spreader-stickers (like Biolink Spreader Sticker), or you can make your own. A small amount of castille soap will work but you really don't want to overdo it.
TX_gardener
Brady, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 22, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9312000

I had searched for my culprits early in the AM ---- but yesterday was out there later in the day (sweat time!) and found many poppa, mama and baby green cats that I promptly picked and squashed! It's almost time to go out there again for that routine...
grits74571
Talihina, OK

October 22, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9312344

if they are only there later then they must be spending part of the time on or under the ground..Just a thought so maybe treat the ground

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9312389

Nicole,
I'm ready to start spraying all my brassica seedlings, in my brand new sprayer. I'd rather not shift from one thing to another with this tank, and I'm asking for your recommendation of the ONE spray that'll go the furthest in controlling the wormies.

My first mind is to spray them all down with the Bt, then cover the plants with the floating row cover, then follow that with the perforated hoop when the temps start dropping (actually, when the winter winds start blowing, cause that does more damage to my veggies than the dropping temps in my yard...)

Am I on track going with the Bt?

Thanks!

Linda

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2012
2:48 PM

Post #9312456

For cabbage worms, etc., I would use Bt plus the spreader-sticker -- they have to go in the tank together anyway. Other than slugs, that's really the only pest I have to deal with this time of year, so that's only what I do. If there's something else causing a problem for you you might need to do something else.

I don't cover my cole crops. They really don't seem to care about the cold; but I don't have the wind you do.

I keep multiple tanks and I try to get them all the same model so when parts break I can mix and match to get a working unit. I have a very small one for Bt, a big one for Round-Up (yes, I use Round-Up sometimes), and then big ones for copper, lime sulfur and horticultural oil for my fruit trees. I haven't needed any other sprays just yet.

Thumbnail by NicoleC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9312615

Thank you, Nicole!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America