New to butterflies

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

I just this year began to actively encourage butterflies in my garden. Learning a lot about what plants and flowers I can sacrifice to these beauties. I was thrilled to be able to capture this photo; seems as long as I don't have a camera in hand I see them everywhere. Pick up a camera they seem to disappear!

Thumbnail by gessieviolet Thumbnail by gessieviolet Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Welcome to a new passion! Looks like you are off to a good start with the Gulf Fritilaries. I look forward to seeing you posting more pictures.
sheila

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

Saw this one for the first time today. I can find no description in the quide I am using. Anybody have any ideas?

Thumbnail by gessieviolet
Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

I don't know anything about butterflies of the East, let alone the South. However, it looks like a Comma - so it must be in that family.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

think it is a comma,

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Looks like a Question Mark to me. It has four dark spots across the bottom of the upper forewing whereas Commas have only 3 spots. Also Question Marks have more pronounced tails. This one is mineralizing (taking in salts) which is common to males for reproduction. Loves sap and rotting fruit. Known to get intoxicated from nectaring fermenting fruit.
Regardless, this is a beautiful butterfly.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, I was going to say Question Mark - but I was afraid gessieviolet might think I was being sarcastic. Answering a Question with a Question Mark sounds grammatically wrong.

Saluda, SC(Zone 8a)

LOL! Yes, as someone totally new to this, I had no idea there actually is a Question Mark butterfly.

Have to admit I was wondering if my leg was being pulled when Comma was suggested.

Glad I am learning to look things up on the net to verify ids.

Thanks for all the help, this is indeed fascinating.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

funny names for some of these butterflies..lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.