-
AuthorContent
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9310449

I hate to preach doom and gloom but monsanto is buying up seed companies at an alarming rate, and they are the largest seller of GMO seeds in the world. I am afraid that groups like this will be the only thing saving heirloom seeds from extinction. maybe my fears are unjustified, if so, sorry for this post.
OWNED BY MONSANTO OR SEMINIS

Audubon Workshop
Breck’s Bulbs
Burpee
Cook’s Garden
Dege Garden Center
Earl May Seed
E & R Seed Co
Ferry Morse
Flower of the Month Club
Gardens Alive
Germania Seed Co
Garden Trends
HPS
Johnny’s Seeds
Jungs
Lindenberg Seeds
McClure and Zimmerman Quality Bulb Brokers
Mountain Valley Seed
Nichol’s
Osborne
Park Seed
Park Bulbs
Park’s Countryside Garden
R.H. Shumway
Roots and Rhizomes
Rupp
Seeds for the World
Seymour’s Selected Seeds
Snow
Spring Hill Nurseries
Stokes
Territorial Seeds
T&T Seeds
Tomato Growers Supply
Totally Tomato
Vermont Bean Seed Co.
Wayside Gardens
Willhite Seed Co.

they also own many more companies that have supposedly taken a "safe seed" pledge but we all know that money is the bottom line and monsanto will do whatever it takes to sell their product.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 20, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9310946

I'm just wondering where you found who owns these companies? No, I'm not going to kill the messenger for the message. Lol

If you post on the veggie, tomato, and/or pepper forum you'll get a larger audience. It doesn't seem like many people frequent this forum, even if they grow heirlooms.
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9311169

here is just one of the many links that list monsanto owned seed companies.

http://www.hawkeshealth.net/community/showthread.php?t=9375&page=1

just google "list of monsanto owned seed companies" there are many sources lots that list way more companies than this one.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #9311842

Wow many of those companies advertises "family owned". Did you post this somewhere where it will get more views?
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #9312135

no not sure where to post it
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 22, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9312738

I would suggest in the forums that I posted above. : ). Since open pollinated seeds can be saved, as opposed to hybrids, being an heirloom isn't as important. You may start a heated conversation but as long as it gets to the truth...

I did read that article and it said that some of these places sell seeds that are owned by monsantos, many of the well known hybrids, not that the companies are owned by monsantos. Many of the well known hybrid seeds are not available everywhere and can not be grown out by individuals or most seed companies (due to their secret parentage). My main interest is tomatoes and as long as the public wants to grow Celebrity, Early Girl, and Big Beef. Etc..companies are going to sell them but that doesn't mean that the company is owned by monsantos. I do try to stay clear of them tho. I grow mostly O/ P although I don't have the patience to isolate the plants enough to actually collect pure seed. Maybe some day.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 9, 2013
6:57 PM

Post #9478175

I did a little searching, and found a fair amount of confirmation online that Johnnies Seeds is not owned by Monsanto, not even a little.

They do still sell some hybrids from Seminis that they can't get elsewhere.

I don't mind thinking ill of Burpee & Park Seeds, but I have a high opinion of Johnny’s Seeds & Territorial Seeds.
And vague good impressions of these:
Tomato Growers Supply
Totally Tomato

evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2013
11:05 AM

Post #9736932

This information is flawed. I wonder where it originated. True, there are some Seminis seeds sold by SOME of these companies. It does NOT mean that Monsanto OWNS the companies.

I think that this person on that other website hawkeshealth.net has not done thorough research, but just copied info from somewhere else.

We need accurate info, before passing it along. AND have references to the original info.

I have a slow landline connection. I was wondering if anyone would check this info by snopes.com and planetinfowars.com (Not sure on this one...)
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

December 30, 2013
1:43 PM

Post #9737030

It is a problem, because for whatever reason, many folks are hard on Monsano because of thier perceived promotion of GMO seeds. A problem because they are not even a leader in the field.

None of the major companies whether it be Monsano/Syminis, Syngenta/ Rogers, Sakata, Takii, Vilmorin/Harris Moran, Hollar, D.Palmer etc own any retail outlets. They sell to many of them. But it purely a customer supplier relationship.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 31, 2013
9:22 AM

Post #9737497

Territorial is not owned by either company not does it any longer buy seeds from Seminis. We need to use common sense when dealing with this topic and not let emotions get in the way. It is not fair to hurt good companies.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2014
2:14 PM

Post #9739564

>> Sakata, Takii,

I didn't know they did any genetic engineering. I thought they were just hybridizers and breeders.

I don't really have any information either way, I just know that they are both good sources for new varieties of Chinese cabbage and probably other vegetables.

Sometimes I think that people who don't like the trademarking and concentration of seed production and marketing by just a dozen or so companies globally, sometimes blur the distinction between companies they don't like and GMO seeds.

http://www.gmwatch.org/gm-firms/10558-the-worlds-top-ten-seed-companies-who-owns-nature

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 3, 2014
2:52 PM

Post #9739588

Actually there are no GMO vegetables available to homr gardeners. Syngenta has sold BT sweet corn for several years, but growers have to meet specific growing requirements to buy it. Seminis is supposed to offer it for 2014. but again only to commercial growers. Just about all the major seed development companies offer GMO field crops like corn soybeans etc. Many like DuPont and Bayer don't do vegetables at all.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 21 Jul 29, 2007 8:56 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America