bulb question-help please!

College Station, TX(Zone 8b)

I bought a huge bulb at a master garden sale a few years ago and I thought it was one thing, but apparently another. The red flower(it bloomed late spring,early summer, looked like a spider lily(not a schoolhouse lily or amaryllis). But the foliage is huge, kind of like an amaryllis, and never died back this summer. I must move it soon and I always thought blooms in spring, move in fall.. My question is the foliage is lush and full and there appear to be offshoots that could possibly be divided. Any suggestions for moving,dividing? I've searched for pictures but can't find anything like it.thanks for any help!

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

It could be a Crinum lily check this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crinum

Thanks Frostweed! That is what the foliage looks like. Can the flowers be red? All the pictures I've seen on line they look white or at most pink. So assuming that is what I have, can I dig it up now and transplant it? Should I cut back the foliage?

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Could it be a St Joseph's lily, they're red

Can't load more than one picture

or this one Red Amaryllis

Hi Mittsy, That's what I thought I was buying, but my mystery bulb flower is much more delicate from what i remember and I know it didn't look like the amaryllis already in my yard. The foliage on my mystery bulb looks like an amaryllis but is almost twice the size.Now that I have researched some more, it looks like I have some sort of crinum.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.