Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Cacti and Succulents: I need advice on rooting this Yucca - plus info on cultivar

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 7, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #9310610

I was gifted this Yucca.

My first question: I am delighted, but I am concerned about rooting it -- it was cut off from the main plant, and there isn't much root to work with (as you can see from the photos). Can I just stick it in the ground? Or do I need to pot it up carefully first and keep an eye on it? Any suggestions? Will it be an uphill battle to root it, especially given that it is so late in the year?

My second question: Any guesses as to the cultivar? As you may be able to tell from the photos, the top side of the leaves (is that the right term?) is green, while the underside is variegated.

Thumbnail by happy_macomb   Thumbnail by happy_macomb   Thumbnail by happy_macomb   Thumbnail by happy_macomb
Click an image for an enlarged view.

happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9310826

I did find this article, which suggests I can just stick the stems in the ground, although it says spring/summer is a better time to do this ... http://www.finegardening.com/how-to/qa/propagating-yucca.aspx

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 21, 2012
3:28 AM

Post #9311024

Good morning! I should start out by saying that by NO means am I even close to being an "expert" in yuccas, but I've got a couple questions to try to help you out here. What all do you know about where yours came from? Do you know how big the "Mother" plant was? Was she at maturity? Did she have this same colour patterning, and, all throughout the year?

It looks to me, sort of, that I can kind of see a bit of variegation a little bit on the 'top sides' of the leaves as well, it's just not as prominent as the undersides, so that makes me wonder if it's either an age thing, or a seasonal thing. That colouring also makes me lean toward thinking it's a variety of 'filamentosa'... even if ya don't see those little filaments or threads... yet. Maybe a "Golden Sword", which tends to revert back to more of a solid green the more it sets shoots, or babies. Each subsequent generation has more of a tendency to revert back to more green, but of course, you know nature; it doesn't follow any set guidelines when it does that. =)

As far as growing them... so far as I know, if it [i]is[/i] a filamentosa, it will certainly be hardy in this area, just make sure it's got really well-draining soil, preferably sandy/loamy REALLY well-draining soil. Pop it on in there any time, maybe mulch around it a bit now, considering the time of year, for a little more warmth. You should be fine as frog-hair! =)

Anyway, that's about all I know. (could fit inside half a peanut shell!) < =D I hope it was helpful!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 21, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9311178

Thanks, Speedie! I agree it is a filementosa -- the filaments were definitely visable!

I was gifted it by someone a 10 minute drive away from me. She wanted to reduce the size of hers. We dug it up yesterday morning. I had assumed it would be divisible in the usual way -- but it had a central stem and off-shooting stems. So we cut off almost all the stems and replanting the remaining plant which had the entire root. I took many of the cuttings.

So I don't know if I can just plant the stems, or what. The article I linked to above suggests I should leave the cuttings out to callous over and then just plant them, so that is what I plant to do. I'm worried, though, that my soil is a bit too heavy and/or that it is too late in the year to be doing this, so I'd love to hear from anyone who has done this successfully. I have another Yucca (unvariegated) that has been growing in basically the same location that this will be planted in, so I am optimistic that the conditions are right once it roots.

Maybe I should pot it up in Tapla's mix until the spring?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 22, 2012
3:06 AM

Post #9311893

Quoting: Maybe I should pot it up in Tapla's mix until the spring?
Or, maybe you could plant it in Tapla's [i]YARD[/i] until the Spring?? < ;P heeheeheee

I totally agree with you, let someone with actual experience guide you, all I know is what I've learned from reading and discussions at work, I have NO experience with these babies whatsoever. I know we've got only 1 variety of filamentosas at work, their pots are sunk into the heavily composted soil in the ground (very good- draining soil), and they get an extra helping of mulch for over-wintering. That's about it. < =/ (Those pots are out in the back 40 and I rarely mess with them).

Any way you could get a pic or 2 of the Mother plant to share? Maybe that would help others be able to help you better? =) (like they say in Jerry McGuire, "Help ME, help YOU!!" LOL!!!)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 22, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9311946

I wish I could get a photo of the mother plant -- I should have taken one -- but I didn't, and while it is only a 10 minute drive away, still, it is a 10 minute drive away...

I really do appreciate your input! I'm going to give it a whirl with this baby!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2012
3:04 AM

Post #9312808

I will LOVE to see updates and pics as she's coming along!! =)
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

October 23, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9312925

Hopefully I won't be sending you a photo of my compost pile! I read to leave the plant unplanted to callous it up a bit, so that is what I am doing...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America