Photo by Melody

Bird Identification: CLOSED: What kind of FL owl is this?

Communities > Forums > Bird Identification
bookmark
Forum: Bird IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 59
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9311281

Any assistance in IDing this little owl would be wonderful.

It flew in while the door to the pool cage was open. Thank goodness I was able to get the collies in the house before they went to investigate our little visitor.

Jan

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #9311297

Eastern Screech Owl

Lucky you!!

Resin

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9311339

thanks Resin, this little one is still hanging here, hopefully come this evening he(she) will decide to return outside of the cage, if not will have to help some.

I talked with the wildlife folks and they say give it a chance to leave on its own, if not then to call them back and they will come out to capture and eval and then release if they can. I didn't want to try and remove for fear of hurting it. Best thing is let nature take its course to see if it will leave on its own.

In the meantime I'm really enjoying the company.

Jan
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9313712

any up-date on the little owl??

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 27, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9317529

Screechowl hasn't returned. It stayed until 9 - 9:30 then flew over to the table chair and I kinda herding it toward the opening. This little owl was never scarred of me, as I was within 5 feet of it and it never flew off and was nothing but the calmest bird. I don't think it wanted to move on as it sat on another chair for a while before it finally flew out the sceen door to a tree in the yard. I was a little worried the next day as the county came and mowed on the outside of our privacy fence so I hope it wasn't hurt by the big mowers should it have been on the ground. I'm just trying to keep good thoughts on it, as it was such a wonderful treat to have it visit for the day.

thanks for asking.

Jan

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9317902

meadowyck wrote: I was a little worried the next day as the county came and mowed on the outside of our privacy fence so I hope it wasn't hurt by the big mowers should it have been on the ground.

No risk, it'll have been up a tree, they aren't ground-living.

Resin

meadowyck

meadowyck
Brooksville, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 28, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9317985

here is another pic of our visitor. In this photo he has made himself very tall.

Jan

This message was edited Oct 28, 2012 1:05 PM

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Bird Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
CLOSED: can anybody ID this bird (#2) lilyfantn 15 Dec 12, 2009 2:52 AM
CLOSED: What is this? konkreteblond 23 Jan 18, 2008 1:39 PM
CLOSED: Need confirm on ID pelletory 12 Mar 10, 2007 9:25 PM
CLOSED: Is this? Marilyn_FL 16 Jul 3, 2009 9:15 PM
CLOSED: This was in a field across from my house in north Jersey ago wilkins2 2 Mar 11, 2007 12:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America