Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Gingers: what kind of ginger do i have

Communities > Forums > Gingers
bookmark
Forum: GingersReplies: 5, Views: 52
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
marksgrdn
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2012
12:38 AM

Post #9311880

ive had this plant for about six yrs. it has lived in many places in my backyard, both potted as well as planted in the ground.
it died back more times than i care to remember while in the ground, so back to the pot for you buddy. in the past yr in a
pot, it just went heywire with the growing thing. does it like to be pot bound ? i ended up splitting it and now have 2. and now
they are both going crazy with the growth thing again. Whats up with that ? the other thing is, you can really smell that spicy
odor of fresh ginger root coming from the plant. interesting... im all ears with any info someone may have about
this plant. thanks in advance. the pic shows the now 2 ginger plants just after dividing them.
mark

Thumbnail by marksgrdn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 22, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9311902

Looks like the common edible ginger, Zingiber officinale. It dies back in winter.
marksgrdn
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
11:52 PM

Post #9314713

thanks for the info. mine has never died back in the winter. even when planted out in the garden. our winter temps can get as low
as 20*-25*F on a really bad winter day. those are few and far between. mostly mid to upper 30's as our lows. thanks tropicbreeze.

mark
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 25, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #9315256

That mustn't be the one. There is a Thai ginger, don't know it's proper name, that doesn't die back. Looks identical, a bit taller though. It's used in cooking as well. A lot of people here have it but they only refer to it as "Thai Ginger". Don't know its cold tolerances, but things from the Thai mountains often have quite a tolerance to cold.
marksgrdn
Stockton, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2012
11:35 PM

Post #9315664

thanks again TROPICBREEZE ! i remember when i bought this plant,the leaves stayed curled for the longest, dont know why. then one yr during one of its growth periods, they unfurled. non the less, i love all my plants.

mark
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

October 26, 2012
1:30 AM

Post #9315671

Well, good luck with your plant. The "Thai" one divides readily and can get away a bit in the garden. When they're on the dry side their leaves tend to curl. But you should have no problems breaking them up and starting new plants.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Gingers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Costus Raspberry Yogurt-pic Moodene 8 Jul 15, 2009 12:26 AM
Dichorisanda pendula Moodene 9 Aug 28, 2008 5:33 PM
Stumped by non-blooming butterfly gingers smartdog 20 Mar 13, 2007 10:09 PM
Oh That Fragrance! Xeramtheum 43 Sep 17, 2008 1:08 AM
Costus asplundii - first photo of flowers gingersrus 11 Jan 2, 2009 3:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America