Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Cacti and Succulents: How do I prepare this Opuntia fruit?

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 10, Views: 121
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9312516

There are close to 30 of these on the plant. What do I do with them? What is the best way to peel them and to get rid of the seeds? Then what do I do with the meat that is left? The person who gave me the plant says the fruit is delicious but failed to tell me how to prepare it. Thanks for any help. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 22, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9312528

I don't know how to prepare it, but the color of that fruit is fantastic. If it tastes half as good as it looks it will be great!

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 22, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9312535

There are several different videos on YouTube. Here's one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfrNKzkvtVU

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

October 22, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9312619

That looks about right. The main thing is to avoid sticking your fingers in there until you've peeled off the skin (with the spines). The seeds are relatively large, though I suppose that must vary with the variety. The easiest way to enjoy the fruit in seedless form is flavored water ("agua de tuna"), where you put the fruit (smashed up) in a pitcher of water, allow all the yummy juices to be sucked out of the pulp over time (a few hours/overnight/whatever), and then run the mix through a filter to remove the seeds. Or just let them settle to the bottom of the pitcher. Depends on how lazy you are, hehe.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2012 6:00 PM
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 22, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9312669

Thanks every one. Can't wait to try it and taste it. Xuling

Xenomorf

Xenomorf
Valley of the Sun, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 23, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9312869

I juice mine in a centrifugal-type of juicer. Just rinse them off and put them in whole. The juicer separates the juice and discards the pulp, seeds, skin & glochids. Then I freeze the concentrated juice in water bottles and use it all year long. The mixture that I came up with is... I mix it with apple juice to provide a little sweetness which brings out the flavor of the Prickly Pear fruit. I have one plant that yields about 200 fruit per year around this time. It's the juiciest and plumpest fruit I've had on all of my Opuntia's.
It's O. engelmannii var. lindheimeri http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/125296/

The O. engelmannii var. texana is another high producer of plump fruit http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/280035/
helenchild
Decatur, GA

October 23, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9313095

I discovered this on my kalanchoe awhile back. Very strange. You can even see some on the tips of the air roots. The tissue was firm, not moist or mushy.
I threw it all away for fear of it spreading. So far I haven't seen it again anywhere.

Thumbnail by helenchild   Thumbnail by helenchild   Thumbnail by helenchild      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

helenchild
Decatur, GA

October 23, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9313096

Sorry about the last entry, I thought I was starting a new thread.
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

October 23, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9313170

that's ok, try juicing it. !! That sounds like the easiest way Xenomorf as I have a centrifugal juicer. It takes care of all the problems. Now I have a job to do. Xuling

This message was edited Oct 25, 2012 6:40 PM
cactusman8
San Marcos, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 30, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9320726

The juice is considered to be very healthful. There are commercial versions of it being produced and marketed and they're available here in several local supermarket chains.
LavinaMae
Grantsboro, NC
(Zone 8b)

October 31, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9321162

Those pear apples make great jelly
Use tongs to take fruit off plant or heavy gloves
Trim stickers with butcher knife.Lol
Put in pot of boiling water after taking off red peeling cook with i cup juice 1 cup sugar till thickens to jelly
put in pint jars and enjoy all winter
Lavina

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America