Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

How do I prepare this Opuntia fruit?

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

There are close to 30 of these on the plant. What do I do with them? What is the best way to peel them and to get rid of the seeds? Then what do I do with the meat that is left? The person who gave me the plant says the fruit is delicious but failed to tell me how to prepare it. Thanks for any help. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

I don't know how to prepare it, but the color of that fruit is fantastic. If it tastes half as good as it looks it will be great!

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

There are several different videos on YouTube. Here's one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfrNKzkvtVU

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

That looks about right. The main thing is to avoid sticking your fingers in there until you've peeled off the skin (with the spines). The seeds are relatively large, though I suppose that must vary with the variety. The easiest way to enjoy the fruit in seedless form is flavored water ("agua de tuna"), where you put the fruit (smashed up) in a pitcher of water, allow all the yummy juices to be sucked out of the pulp over time (a few hours/overnight/whatever), and then run the mix through a filter to remove the seeds. Or just let them settle to the bottom of the pitcher. Depends on how lazy you are, hehe.

This message was edited Oct 22, 2012 6:00 PM

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks every one. Can't wait to try it and taste it. Xuling

Valley of the Sun, AZ(Zone 9b)

I juice mine in a centrifugal-type of juicer. Just rinse them off and put them in whole. The juicer separates the juice and discards the pulp, seeds, skin & glochids. Then I freeze the concentrated juice in water bottles and use it all year long. The mixture that I came up with is... I mix it with apple juice to provide a little sweetness which brings out the flavor of the Prickly Pear fruit. I have one plant that yields about 200 fruit per year around this time. It's the juiciest and plumpest fruit I've had on all of my Opuntia's.
It's O. engelmannii var. lindheimeri http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/125296/

The O. engelmannii var. texana is another high producer of plump fruit http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/280035/

Decatur, GA

I discovered this on my kalanchoe awhile back. Very strange. You can even see some on the tips of the air roots. The tissue was firm, not moist or mushy.
I threw it all away for fear of it spreading. So far I haven't seen it again anywhere.

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild
Decatur, GA

Sorry about the last entry, I thought I was starting a new thread.

Windsor, CA(Zone 9b)

that's ok, try juicing it. !! That sounds like the easiest way Xenomorf as I have a centrifugal juicer. It takes care of all the problems. Now I have a job to do. Xuling

This message was edited Oct 25, 2012 6:40 PM

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

The juice is considered to be very healthful. There are commercial versions of it being produced and marketed and they're available here in several local supermarket chains.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Those pear apples make great jelly
Use tongs to take fruit off plant or heavy gloves
Trim stickers with butcher knife.Lol
Put in pot of boiling water after taking off red peeling cook with i cup juice 1 cup sugar till thickens to jelly
put in pint jars and enjoy all winter
Lavina

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.