Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: yellow fronds on Canary Date palm

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 37
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tropicgardener1
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2012
12:02 AM

Post #9312779

The lower row of fronds on my Canary Date palm has turned yellow in the last several months. They are not dying or dead fronds because I had cut those off. The rest of the fronds are very green and appears healthy. The tree was 8' tall and came in a 40" box when we planted it in new soil in 2005. It is now about 20' tall and has a large green canopy and a large diameter trunk. In the last month I put some epsom salt around the base of the tree. Nothing seemed to change. I talked to a tree service and they suggested that they could inject the soil with fertilizer 3 times a year. Another tree person suggested I sprinkle gypsum around the tree. Does anyone recognize this condition and have you had any success in getting the fronds green again?
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 23, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9313125

Compost is always a good idea. Is there a bed or lawn at the base?
Tropicgardener1
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9313334

Thanks for responding. It is in a raised planter bed about 5 ft. from lawn on the right side, and 3 ft. from the sidewalk in front and dirt around the other 2 sides.

Thumbnail by Tropicgardener1   Thumbnail by Tropicgardener1   Thumbnail by Tropicgardener1   Thumbnail by Tropicgardener1   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9313943

Wow your yard is pretty! Glad you put up some pics. They should help you get advice, beyond what little I have to offer.

I see how perfect and green the patch of lawn to the right is. Could there be something in a lawn product (like a weed'n'feed) you're using that's toxic to this tree?
Tropicgardener1
Sacramento, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 26, 2012
10:46 PM

Post #9316632

All the plants, shrubs and lawn around the palm are healthy and green as you have noticed. I have not used any lawn product on it since last year. The yellowing had occurred in the last 3 months that I have noticed. I have had a number of suggestions as to date which leaves me in a quandary:
1. Sprinkle gypsum (from a Palm tree supplier)
2. Add epsom salt (from a book)
3. Twice a year inject soil w/ fertilizer and mg and mn (from a tree service @ $250 each)
4. Reduce watering (tree foundation)
As you can see these suggestions are quite varied. I am searching for a solution that works fairly quickly.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 28, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9317954

These are too tender for outdoor growing here in MOST areas, western gardens can grow them IF in sunny sheltered area, the only problems I am aware of are things called SMUT where small black scabs form and it gives the appearance of yellow sprouting hairs.

Also please check for Mealybugs or Scale Insects, I would cut a frond off and use an eye glass to examine closely so you are not missing the obvious things as the other type of ferns close by appear to be free from this problem

I agree that maybe there is something lacking in the soil as the planting looks like there is a lot of competition going on under ground, also are you giving enough water in the growing season, to get the feel of any dry soil, you need to scrape away some soil around the root area and then dig a good few inches down and see just how dry the soil is at the roots. I was also told to water the palms at the top so the water can land inside the heart of the fronds and down the trunk as they don't have a root system like normal tree's but maybe you need to check this out for your area.
Good luck, WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America