Kashifali
Lahore
Pakistan

October 23, 2012
1:54 AM

Post #9312790

Hi,

I have joined this community today.

A week back, I sprayed mixture of water and epsom salt through a spray tank having a ratio of 2 tbsp of epsom per 1 gallon of water on a lawn measuring 3000 sqft. A total of 3 gallons of the mixture was sprayed.

I just wanted to ask if the ratio is correct and also do i have to just spray (like insecticide spray) or soak the lawn completely for a greener lawn. Moreover, how frequently should i apply it on to my lawn.

Thanks
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 23, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9313274

Unless you know that your soil is deficient in magnesium, there are probably other better things to do if you want a greener lawn (such as lawn fertilizer). And even if you have a magnesium deficiency and need epsom salts, you'll still need to fertilize since epsom salt doesn't provide any of the other nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium)
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 23, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9313363

I would always recamend a soil test be done before you spray large areas of garden as there can be quite a difference in PH from one area to the next especially IF the top soil was imported before the lawn was laid and you might not know where the soil originated from,

Should you not know or have soil testing done (you can do the test yourself very cheaply) buy a very cheep soil test kit from garden store, a few dollars, it might not be as proper as the professional kits used by professional gardeners but, believe me these cheaper kits are fine and used all over the world by amature gardeners to give a (guide) as to the type of soil they have and what is required to alter the PH either up or down depending on what is to be planted.

You never said why you needed to spray the lawn or if there were signs of any deficiencies showing in the lawn to make you think Magnesium was short and causing a problem so it is difficult without a picture to offer help at this point. My own gut feeling for a lawn that is well established (that is more than a year old) is to purchase a good quality and recommended ready prepared lawn feed and weed, that is used according to the directions on carton, some have a moss killer mixed in as well as a feed, others have just feed or a Lawn sand mix that helps keep any moss at bay while offering good drainage over the wetter winter months, the best thing to do is to go to the garden store and talk to someone who treats lawns in your area as I am sure there will be someone who can help as I'm not really sure what type of grass you would be using in Pakistan, I know some parts of UK use a different grass mix as do some USA states wwhile here in UK we grow a more finer type of grass because of our climate and temp variations as well as rain fall.
Hope this helps you out a bit. Good luck. WeeNel.

Kashifali
Lahore
Pakistan

October 25, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9315079

Thanks both of you... WeeNel and Ecrane.

As far as i know ...not much importance is given to soil testing in Pakistan. The max that one does is get the soil dug from dry river beds.

The grass that we have used is "American Grass" and the reason why I sprayed the lawn was that the grass is not as green as i would want it to be. Its been more than a year that we sowed it.

Fact of the matter is that i read about Epsom Salts on Pinterest and thought of applying it. A month and a half back we also used the cow manure and spread it on the lawn. I am not sure whether I have done rite by spraying the mixture or not. Lets see :)

I was also wondering that there is another side to it ...as winter is settling in the grass is bound to turn yellow..i guess that must be the reason.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 29, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9319201

I would imagine the soil from the river bed will be quite deficient of nutrients and the cause of the grass going yellow, there is not a lot of importance on soil testing here UK either or in lots of places for that matter but it's the only way I know of finding out what PH you have and the reading costing pennies, tells you what is required to be added to the soil, I have travelled widely over USA and in most places I have not seen their grass turn yellow for winter, all that appears to happen is the growth of the grass slows down in winter time, IF the lawn grass in Pakistan normally turns yellow in winter then that could be the problem but if not, then there is some form of deficiency happening in the soil the grass is growing on.
Is there any way you could buy /spread an autumn lawn feed that will have a mixture of all the things that grasses require to boost there energy come spring but most of all, will help add nutrients that are lacking.
I'm not sure about soil from river beds as we are lucky here in UK where we can easily add manures, composts etc to our gardens and here in UK I have my own compost heap where all my garden waist and household scraps are put into the compost heap and the following year, it is ready to add to the garden soil which helps add air, feed and helps retain water in the sandy soil I have in my area.

I hope you can get the lawn problem sorted out soon as it is costly to relay a lawn and a lot of work too.
Good luck, Weenel.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 29, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #9319218

Was your cow manure composted before you applied it? Cow manure that hasn't been allowed to decompose has too much nitrogen in it and will burn plants, and grass turning yellow could be a symptom of fertilizer burn (could also be other things--but if you applied "hot" manure that would be a likely reason). If you're not sure whether the manure was composted or not, if it still smelled like manure then it wasn't, but if it smelled more like plain dirt then it was composted enough that it shouldn't cause problems.

As far as the Epsom salts, they most likely won't hurt anything, but there are lots of things that can make grass yellow besides magnesium deficiency (which is the only thing Epsom salts would fix) so I think it's unlikely to have much effect.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America