Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Tropical Zone Gardening: What could be the problem with my 10 yr old banana tree?

Communities > Forums > Tropical Zone Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Tropical Zone GardeningReplies: 5, Views: 102
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Mabatho
Deltona, FL

October 23, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9312983

To my ever so helpful friends,
Please tell me what the problem could be with my banana tree. I planted it 10 years ago and it produced only once. Not only has it stayed the same size of approximately 4 ft tall in the years, but the bananas it produced then, were tinie winie, sad looking and didn't even ripen. I feel like digging it out and throwing it away. Please help me.

Thumbnail by Mabatho
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TropicalGardener
West Palm Beach, FL
(Zone 10a)

November 27, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9343793

Try using composted horse or cow manure as banana corms enjoy organic fertilizer, schedule frequent watering, then observe growth of new leaves as measure of healthy conditions. Once a banana tree fruits, it should have produced off shoots or pups, and after harvesting the bananas, take down the mother stalk so the plant energy goes to the next generation... (see picture from my former banana garden).
PS: At both the spring and fall Mounts Plant Sale events in West Palm Beach, a regular show stopper display by the folks from Going Bananas... http://www.going-bananas.com/ ...attracts avid backyard fruit gardeners. You might try contacting these experts to confirm my suggestions or get better advice...
Good luck!

Thumbnail by TropicalGardener
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9343889

I wonder if you might have a dwarf variety, 4' is pretty small for a banana.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

November 29, 2012
2:01 AM

Post #9345179

Bananas definitely are gross feeders, they like a lot of rich compost/manure. For a 10 year.a old plant yours is quite small and only 3 leaves is very little to support the plant. The problem could be too cold a climate (or microclimate) and/or insufficient nutrient. They do need a fairly long growing season.
Mabatho
Deltona, FL

December 4, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #9349516

Thanks to all my ever so helpful friends. Your input is very much appreciated.

Rebecca
KAMasud
Rawalpindi
Pakistan
(Zone 9a)

December 5, 2012
3:35 AM

Post #9350206

Bananas like nutrients, humidity and moisture. Gross feeders is correct while humidity it gets in Florida. If you can some how divert your kitchen wash waste water to it plus manure, then look at it grow. Kitchen waste water is also rich in nutrients, must be something in soap.
Regards,
Masud.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tropical Zone Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 92 May 31, 2007 7:56 PM
Gardening In AUSTRALIA . Way Way South ! ginger749 170 Dec 6, 2012 8:33 PM
Fern erradication AlohaHoya 85 May 12, 2009 2:37 AM
plants - I promise! Islandshari 23 May 28, 2007 11:33 PM
dead bees on young crape myrtles tab2 5 Oct 31, 2009 3:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America