Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
helenchild
Decatur, GA

October 23, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9313099

I discovered this on my kalanchoe awhile back. Very strange. You can even see some on the tips of the air roots. The tissue was firm, not moist or mushy.
I threw it all away for fear of it spreading. So far I haven't seen it again anywhere.
Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by helenchild   Thumbnail by helenchild   Thumbnail by helenchild
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cactusloverlady
Menasha, WI

October 25, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9314978

I'm only guessing here, was there some injury to the plant? You know like it over produced tissue or sap to heal itself. cll
helenchild
Decatur, GA

October 25, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9315310

There were several areas on the same 'stuff', even on the tips of the air roots. Possibly excess sap/exudate? except it wasn't wet.
Strange to me.
Thanks cactusloverlady.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

October 25, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9315323

Don't know what you have but it looks like abnormal, uncontrolled growth. A little like what happens with the aloe mite, though from some other cause. Areas which were already in active growth kicked into overdrive. Some kind of virus maybe.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

October 25, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9315593

You could call it plant cancer but I am not sure there is such a thing. My guess is viral too Baja.
cactusloverlady
Menasha, WI

October 25, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9315594

helenchild, To bad there wasn't some sort of county agent to ask or show a specimen to. It would be interesting to find out what it is, how to prevent it and so on. If you ever research further,make sure you let us know. Good luck, cll
mcvansoest
Mesa, AZ
(Zone 9b)

October 26, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9315992

From the looks of it, it would probably be classified as plant gall, which can be caused by many different organisms from wasps to fungi and bacteria.
The following website shows some of the many different appearances and provides some info as to the cause:

http://www.kuriositas.com/2011/12/abnormal-gruesome-gall-alien-invader-in.html

I think getting rid of the infected parts of the plants is the best way to deal with it. If it keeps coming back on the same plant, then maybe it is something else.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

October 26, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9316087

Thanks mcvansoest. Of course gall is the correct word opposed to cancer.
The site was great. So many weird units!
I think my plant was infected with something, hence the title. But who knows by what.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America