Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Buy trees with curved or leaning trunks?

Communities > Forums > Trees, Shrubs and Conifers
bookmark
Forum: Trees, Shrubs and ConifersReplies: 4, Views: 169
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lostcat999
Cayuga Heights, NY

October 23, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #9313222

I posted earlier about cornus kousa Red Select. Was planning to create a border with these in front yard. Have learned that any dogwood in my area is at risk due to deer. So I am planning to buy a couple of kousas for the back yard which is fenced. Since I will use these as specimans, I have been considering Satomi. I'm attracted to the crazy shapes of some at the nursery.

On one, the trunk is straight to a point, then goes horizontal (see below). Has interesting look (reminds me of trees in Japanese paintings), but is it totally impractical? Would snow on the branches cause the trunk to break? Is a tree with a weird trunk like that an unhealthy tree?

There are others where the trunks are leaning and are held up with stakes (see photo below of trees in a line with burgundy leaves). The guy at the nursery said I could position the tree straight when I plant. He also said the tree would start to grow straight even if I planted as is in pot. Is this true?

I also like the one (also below) with the straight trunk and very strong horizontal branching. Perhaps this is the best bet? I might get two trees if two seem viable.

I am a novice re trees so will appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Thumbnail by lostcat999   Thumbnail by lostcat999   Thumbnail by lostcat999   Thumbnail by lostcat999
Click an image for an enlarged view.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

October 24, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9314096

I wouldn't be as concerned about the uprightedness (a word?) of the tree as much as the overall health of the tree. Some of the images show trees that are drought stressed. Pick the healthiest tree and, once planted, you can shape and stake as necessary.
lostcat999
Cayuga Heights, NY

October 24, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9314291

growin: Thank you for your suggestion. We _have_ had a dry summer here, but it seems the nursery should have watered the trees as necessary. I will try to find healthiest-looking trees.
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9315778

that first one is nice.
Gracye
Warrenton, VA

November 6, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9326412

Weird consideration, but one I've found is vital to our yard, is considering THE WIND. I plant trees and shrubs leaning INTO the wind these days. Yep, LEANING.
My Japanese Maple, shaped much like that great first photo of yours, was planted this way. That puppy, two years later, is STRAIGHT! HAHAHA!
Patience, my friend. Get that neat curvy tree, and point it into the wind, and sit back. Let Mother Nature work for you.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Trees, Shrubs and Conifers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sambucus nigra 'Black Beauty' evelyn_inthegar 59 Apr 10, 2010 5:27 PM
Mulberry ellenann 8 Mar 29, 2008 2:04 PM
Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes' rcn48 10 Jun 10, 2008 9:58 AM
Which Trees don't root? Kim_M 37 Aug 26, 2009 6:21 PM
Transplanting sassafrass seedling Rikkashay 14 Jul 13, 2009 12:25 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America