Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Orchids: Oncidium question

Communities > Forums > Orchids
bookmark
Forum: OrchidsReplies: 19, Views: 165
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9313233

Hello Orchid experts!

I have lots of Dendrobiums, which do fine, but this is the only Oncidium I have. It sits outside in dappled shade all summer and grows like crazy. Last winter, I brought in indoors for the winter and put it in bright, filtered light. I've just brought it into the garage as the evenings are getting chilly, which is why in the photo, it's got leaves and other debris. Haven't cleaned it up yet - but you can see how large it is. I got it as a gift in a teacup sized pot.

The question: Two summers and winters have passed and it has never bloomed. Any tips on what to do to encourage it?

Thanks!

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 23, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9313367

I'm hardly an expert and don't recognize this Oncidium but can offer a thought or two. Firstly, most Oncidiums generally like bright light to full on sun. My larger Oncidiums summer outside facing southeast with no shade. The leaves get slightly yellowish. Given the nice green color of those leaves I think it could use brighter light. Oncidiums like to get wet and then dry. They don't like to stay damp. What is it potted in? Are the medium and roots in good condition? Oncidiums often have a wet season and then a dry season to initiate bloom. They are heavier feeders than other genera. Do you feed it? I am thinking the main problem though is not enough light, especially in winter.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9313505

Thanks for your help! FIrst, I should say that it was tagged Oncidium, though it's entirely possible it is something else altogether! :)

In the summer it only gets an hour or two direct sun at most. In winter it stays in a south-facing window. It's potted
in standard orchid medium - chips and that pot sits on top of a shallow tray with pebbles and water.

I haven't fed it since last spring. so that could definitely be an issue. I will be sure it gets the most possible light over the winter
and give it a snack more often. :)
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 23, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9313536

Judging from the color of the leaves, I agree with Laurel. Give it more sun.

Jim
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 24, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9314312

Thanks, Jim. Will do! :)

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 25, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9315238

Doensnt look like a Oncidium or any orchid ive seen. Yeah id try more sun also.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #9315271

It looks like a familiar FL landscape plant but I can't think of what it is. Maybe if it was posted on the ID forum or Florida forum. I did say I'd never seen an Oncidium like that. Now that could be why it hasn't bloomed. lol

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 25, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #9315286

Looks like dracenia leaves but theres no stem. Yeah it might not even flower so you could be waiting a while. hehe!
Is there a pot in the middle of the plant and its growing around it?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9315288

I thought it looked like something in the lily family.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9315356

Here's the tag that came with it.
Breeindy, yes, there's a small pot and it's growing out all around it.

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 25, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9315509

The only Ralph Yagi orchids I know of are Tolumnias (minis). They are in Oncidium class, used to be called mini-Oncidiums and are sometimes still labeled as Oncidiums. Sometimes growers like Better Gro add a descriptive so the Maroon Spots is not a named cross, but rather the orchid is a Ralph Yagi which has maroon spots. Ralph Yagi is about two inches tall. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7784030 I have gone back and reread your original post. No way would an orchid go from tea cup size to what you have in two years.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 26, 2012
1:45 AM

Post #9315673

this is what Tolumnias foliage looks like and this is something of what Ralph Yagi looks like but as Laurel said they are small and not that fast growing.

Thumbnail by breeindy   Thumbnail by breeindy         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9316041

MaypopLaurel and Breeindy: Thanks so much. I had looked up Ralph Yahi "Solar Baby" and found photos but without size references.
The goliage looks alot like that in your Tolumnia photo, but mine is definitely BIG. I originally said it was a teacup sized pot, but it was about a 4-inch pot. Laurel, I think I will take your suggestion and post some
closer photos on the FL forum, just to see if anyone recognizes it there.

It's totally possible the plant was mis-labelled. Since it was a gift, who knows where it came from but I'd bet it was a big box place so who knows! :)
I have brought it into the house now, cleaned up, repotted and ready to winter in a nice southwest window. We'll see!

Deb

This message was edited Oct 26, 2012 11:43 AM
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

October 26, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9316312

It would be funny if you are housing a hardy (for your zone) landscape plant in a coveted indoor orchid spot, no? I bet you will get a very fast ID on the plant ID forum. Those folks are genius. Meanwhile, I think both Bree and I seriously doubt the orchid pedigree of your plant. Keep us posted. And, BTW, don't think you're the only one who has ever owned an orchid imposter.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 26, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9316349

Yes, that would be a kick in the pants! :) I have just posted it on the ID forum with a couple of photos and will let you know what happens. If you want to see the
closer photo, here's the thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1285855/

Thanks for all your help.
Deb

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 26, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9316429

yes it does look like a bromeliad now ive seen the closer photo, not a Vriesea though, them thin leaf types...ummm. Hang on i know who'll know.

breeindy

breeindy
north coast nsw
Australia

October 26, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9316440

Just remembered what i was tying to think off. A Guzmania.
hawkarica
Odessa, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 27, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9316702

Take a look at this: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bromeliad/msg0417482224267.html

Jim
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2012
4:20 AM

Post #9316704

This really should have dawned on me sooner. I had "tag blindness". Darn tag said oncidium, therefore it must be one. LOL. Thanks Breeindy, I'm off to research guzmania!
Deb
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

October 27, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9316708

Jim, yes! That seems to be it. I shall study up!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A rare white form of the Pink Lady Slipper Orchid NCplantsman 10 Sep 12, 2009 12:38 PM
White Chinese Ground Orchid (Bletilla striata) goldenfish 4 Sep 10, 2009 1:04 AM
Any idea on an ID? langbr 5 Feb 7, 2009 12:29 AM
Orchid ID Dinu 4 Sep 27, 2012 9:44 AM
Seeds CaptMicha 12 Jun 12, 2008 11:35 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America