Communities > Forums > Site Help
Forum: Site HelpReplies: 1, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
Twin Lakes, WI
(Zone 5a)

October 23, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9313616

Found these two handsome beetles in a grassy lawn - larger one is 35mm, smaller one is 30mm. After doing some research and photo comparisons I believe them to be Oil beetles in the Meloe group; includes 22 species. Strigulosus would be my guess - can you verify? Very interesting life cycle too. Thank you.

Thumbnail by rachelleann   Thumbnail by rachelleann   Thumbnail by rachelleann   Thumbnail by rachelleann
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Churchill, Victoria
(Zone 10a)

October 24, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9314207

I agree that these are Oil Beetles of the genus Meloe, but with 22 species in that genus, I doubt it is possible to identify the species from your photographs. One would need access to a key and probably microscopic examination of a specimen to determine the species. I would declare them simply as Meloe sp..

Post a reply to this thread:

Your message:

You may upload up to 5 images. Press CTRL to select more than one image file.

Upload Images to your reply

Other Site Help Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
    Online journal - getting started Terry 219 Apr 1, 2008 1:12 PM
    Why don't you follow the rules of nomenclature? Terry 1 May 31, 2008 3:40 PM
    Taxonomy changes coming in the PDB Terry 41 Oct 20, 2007 2:03 AM
    How do I search for what is reported to grow well near me? ceallachg 12 Aug 29, 2008 11:27 PM
    Meet your PlantFiles Editors Terry 44 Aug 26, 2010 1:35 AM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America