Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Home Repairs and Maintenance: GE Monogram refrigerator

Communities > Forums > Home Repairs and Maintenance
bookmark
Forum: Home Repairs and MaintenanceReplies: 4, Views: 45
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dun1kirk
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #9314375

I saw the post a while ago about another problem with a GE Model. I almost have the opposite. My ice maker drips & therefore freezes in huge clumps plus the freezer is not freezing items. I took everything out yesterday, took off all the ice that had formed everywhere. Now I am getting an ice build up on the very top of the freezer. So far no ice cubes are even being made. (Some always did). The refrigerator section does not seem as cold as it should be, either. I had a repairman out & my condenser was VERY dirty, but not that's been cleaned. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 24, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9314469

I had pretty much those exact same problems with my fridge a few years ago and it was because the auto defroster was broken. I had ice buildup in the freezer, icemaker wasn't working right (no dripping, just didn't make ice properly), and fridge wasn't staying cold enough. Did the repair guy look at the defrost heater at all?
dun1kirk
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 9, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9329184

It was the timer that cycles everything - _defrost, heater etc.) that was burned out.
Fixed!
dun1kirk
Berkeley, CA
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9331240

I spoke too soon! The problems are not fixed! The first repair person knew nothing. The second at least found the burned out timer. But I am still getting ice build up behind the back freezer door making the fan produce terrible noises. The freezer is presently reading 30 degrees and the refrigerator 40 degrees. All this before Thanksgiving and much of my food is prepared ahead of time! A third Sears repairman can't come out till Nov. 19! Too bad I can't use bad words here!
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

November 12, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9331456

Look the door seals over really well. If they aren't sealing all the way around they will let air and moisture in and cause icing problems. Particularly pay attention to the ones on the bottom because it is hard to see if they are sealing or not. If they aren't clean them really well with something like mean green.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Home Repairs and Maintenance Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to Home Repairs & Maintenance Terry 17 Jul 14, 2011 1:42 AM
hiring help roxroe 16 Mar 27, 2007 9:04 AM
I hated trimming the grass along the fence jleec 15 Jun 6, 2011 6:47 AM
Hi! I'm new but have 2 questions Illoquin 7 Apr 5, 2007 6:48 PM
Eeek... mice! dreamingofeden 10 Mar 15, 2009 10:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America